What's new

Mea Culpa, Tabac

well I guess it's a YMMV thing but I find Tabac as well as as AOS (old formula), Palmolive, Haslinger, and Fine essentially the same in terms of shaving quality. Also the post shave is mediocre at best compared to current artisans. Not that post shave is all that important to me.

well I guess it's a YMMV thing but I find Tabac as well as as AOS (old formula), Palmolive, Haslinger, and Fine essentially the same in terms of shaving quality. Also the post shave is mediocre at best compared to current artisans. Not that post shave is all that important to me.

I find the post shave to hit a sweet spot for me as I'm not a huge fan of the heavy residue of many of the artisans in terms of post shave. I like moisturizing but not the really heavy residue and this also leaves an annoying film in my sink. Tabac, Haslinger, SV, Valobra/AOS old formula, MWF and similar I find have a good balance of moisturizing but without the heavy residue. Since I use an AS or ASB I don't really need that.

So this thread inspired me to pull out the Tabac once again. I was really impressed as always with the easy of lathering and the quality of the lather. Certainly a top notch soap.

The first time I smelled on tabac it didn't convince me. What's this smell? I put it back to the shelf and left the drugstore without it.
But somehow... the next day I came back the next day and bought it. Now I'm addicted to the heavy scent. Also the best performing soap I have.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
UPDATE: It’s been over a month since I offered Tabac my apologies. I’ve used it daily since. I hardly even notice the scent anymore, but my shaves have ALL been incredible. No cuts, weepers, burn, bumps, etc. Whatever razor and blade I throw at it, it just gives me awesomeness during and after. And the mug looks barely used! Wow.

UPDATE: It’s been over a month since I offered Tabac my apologies. I’ve used it daily since. I hardly even notice the scent anymore, but my shaves have ALL been incredible. No cuts, weepers, burn, bumps, etc. Whatever razor and blade I throw at it, it just gives me awesomeness during and after. And the mug looks barely used! Wow.

You have to try a lot to make a dent to the Tabac puck .

Awesome solid performer Tabac it is. Works for me with all kinds of water hardness and lathers with just a glance lol

It is an all-time great. I don't even mind the scent, but I'm not sure I could use it daily. If you could give me a sandalwood and a lavender in that base, I would give up all of my other soaps.

Maybe.

FWIW, Speick lathers just as well for me, and that medicinal scent is sometimes even craveable for me. Still, not a daily driver, but I can see where either of those would work as the only soap for someone.

The Germans make good soap.

It is an all-time great. I don't even mind the scent, but I'm not sure I could use it daily. If you could give me a sandalwood and a lavender in that base, I would give up all of my other soaps.

Maybe.

FWIW, Speick lathers just as well for me, and that medicinal scent is sometimes even craveable for me. Still, not a daily driver, but I can see where either of those would work as the only soap for someone.

The Germans make good soap.

Have you tried the Fine soaps? Base is very similar to Tabac and it has great Sandalwood and Lavender scents.

Wow.......guess I after over 10 years into this thing should try it. Never have before. Tabac that is.

I’m debating it but with Cella, MWF and B&M on the shelf, I’m left wondering if it’s worth it to try Tabac when the scent seems polarizing. How does the post shave feel and moisturizing qualities stack up against the other tallow based soaps?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’m debating it but with Cella, MWF and B&M on the shelf, I’m left wondering if it’s worth it to try Tabac when the scent seems polarizing. How does the post shave feel and moisturizing qualities stack up against the other tallow based soaps?
For me, it’s equal in post-shave feel to the top artisans. Soft, supple skin and I usually don’t even use AS.

Have you tried the Fine soaps? Base is very similar to Tabac and it has great Sandalwood and Lavender scents.
Yeah, and I agree about the base but the lavender is too close to C&S and the Sandalwood very like AOS, both of which I have in the den already. I'd love a straight lavender EO or a darker lavender blend and maybe a deeper, richer sandalwood. But I know I'm just being picky. That is a great soap base and some really nice scents.

I've been a member here long enough to be on my 2nd puck of Tabac. I also own the AS and EdT. For me the scent is more spicy than leathery but I would use it anyway. Interestingly, it does not attack my sinuses like some other soaps do.

marty

Nothing beats your combination of slickness, cushion, volume, scent and post-shave conditioning. And your triple-milling will outlast any other soap, croap or cream around.
:a2:

I agree with you. It's definitely my best soap. Currently I have 2 pucks and a stick. I'm sure they'll last forever

That’s it, I’ve ordered Tabac. I’ve been in a SV roll here lately but you sold me!

I would be interested to hear your thoughts. I don't find Tabac quite good enough to be at the very top of my list like SV, but still a top tier soap and a great price. Lathering Tabac is stupid easy and probably only second to Haslinger for that quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to try Tabac at some point. Though I'm still a complete noob (seven shaves in) and have only made a small dent in my current cream. The wife is also keeping a very close eye on what I spend on this new venture.

I've been using my Tabac shave stick 3-4 times a week for the past 3 months. I'm only a little more than halfway through the stick. Great stuff. I still have yet to use the soap in the Tabac bowl that I purchased 2 months ago.

Top Bottom