What's new

Mea Culpa, Tabac

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Forgive me, Tabac, for doubting your greatness. I had bumped you out of rotation in favor of the flavors of the day — GD, DG, B&M, Stirling, T&S — and other trendy soaps. But since I’ve been test driving some new razors, I’ve relied upon your quick lather and performance, and have come back to realizing that you are the greatest in my den. I’ve been guilty of saying such things as ‘Tabac is nowhere near as good as ____________.’ But I was mistaken.

Nothing beats your combination of slickness, cushion, volume, scent and post-shave conditioning. And your triple-milling will outlast any other soap, croap or cream around.

The artisans have been churning out great products, and my den is full of them. But I fear that I’ve wasted money and space.

My week with Tabac has been an epiphany.

Mea culpa, Tabac. Mea maxima culpa.

:a2:

I should be spanked for saying that I have bought very few artisan soaps, sticking with the old school products (Arko, Tabac, MWF, T&H, Cella, etc.)

My bad
proxy.php

Over the past several years I have amassed a relatively small collection of soaps and creams (maybe 20 or so). I have given in to the temptation of fun and flavorful artisan soaps, along with the more traditional such as Tabac, Cella, Proraso, MWF, and Williams. Lather that smells like grapefruit, licorice, and pine tar are nice (and provide top notch performance), but I’ve decided that once they are used up I’ll stick with the classics mentioned above. Sort of a way to thin out the den a bit. Honestly I could stick with just Tabac forever.

Forgive me, Tabac, for doubting your greatness. I had bumped you out of rotation in favor of the flavors of the day — GD, DG, B&M, Stirling, T&S — and other trendy soaps. But since I’ve been test driving some new razors, I’ve relied upon your quick lather and performance, and have come back to realizing that you are the greatest in my den. I’ve been guilty of saying such things as ‘Tabac is nowhere near as good as ____________.’ But I was mistaken.

Nothing beats your combination of slickness, cushion, volume, scent and post-shave conditioning. And your triple-milling will outlast any other soap, croap or cream around.

The artisans have been churning out great products, and my den is full of them. But I fear that I’ve wasted money and space.

My week with Tabac has been an epiphany.

Mea culpa, Tabac. Mea maxima culpa.

:a2:
And it smells fantastic.

Hannah's Dad

Let me know how you feel on day 28 with it. By March 31 I wasnt sure I could bear to use it another day lol.
I’m not saying I won’t use anything else ... I have 10 years worth of artisan soap ... I’m just saying that for my face, Tabac is king.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I’m not saying I won’t use anything else ... I have 10 years worth of artisan soap ... I’m just saying that for my face, Tabac is king.

Its is a very good soap no question, but after a month straight I was turning into Tabac. That smell. It can become insidious lol.

Hannah's Dad

Its is a very good soap no question, but after a month straight I was turning into Tabac. That smell. It can become insidious lol.
Agreed. I’m anticipating a rotation something like this:
Monday - Tabac
Tuesday - Vintage Old Spice
Wednesday - GD/DG/B&M
Thursday - Tabac
Friday - Stirling/B&M/DG/MWF
Saturday - Tabac
Sunday - Vintage Old Spice

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Agreed. I’m anticipating a rotation something like this:
Monday - Tabac
Tuesday - Vintage Old Spice
Wednesday - GD/DG/B&M
Thursday - Tabac
Friday - Stirling/B&M/DG/MWF
Saturday - Tabac
Sunday - Vintage Old Spice

With all those choices I'd still need a Proraso Red day, or two.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I’ve never tried a Proraso soap ... ‘shame, shame, shame’.

You wont regret it when you do. :)

The Green is a light menthol. Not nearly as cold as Stirling menthols. The White smells like...green tea and oatmeal to me. Very light and fresh smelling.

Pop the lid on a tub of Red and you'll be taking it home with you.

Early on when I became more interested in classic wet shaving, I tried many products that were all the rage at that time, but now, years later, I’ve settled for the tried and tested, think carefully before I try something new, and use Tabac about once a week.

In fact, I use Tabac and various Haslinger soaps more often than I use any other shaving soap.
Both are dependable, never let me down, and I look forward to using them - despite all the other tempting stuff on my bathroom shelves.

B.

Last edited:
I am a triple milled fan too. I have a ton of artisan soaps and they are great too but there is just something about the classic triple milled soaps that keeps me coming back to them. The only artisan I currently put in the top tier with my top triple milled is B&M but I'm waiting on some T&S and WK so maybe those will eventually join my tripple milled soaps.

Top Bottom