What's new

Nivea Aftershave Lotion... Hype or for real? My Journey.

To start it off, I used the Nivea Vitalizing Aftershave Lotion for this mornings shave.

54989E60-C44D-481C-A384-9BB9947C2ED8.jpeg

I will be using a range of different razors from de’s to se’s and a couple of straights/shavettes to get a different feel on shave finishes and on how the splashes will work correspondingly to each post shave finalization. I’ll complete each shave and use each aftershave and will allow a minimum of a couple of hours to see how each splash will work short and long term on how it performs in a few categories. Real time instant effect, scent duration and long term post shave performance.

Today’s shave participants were the RR Mamba, Kai SS blade, LPL Oud-Santal soap and the Yaqi Tuxedo brush. Most of my shaves are 2 passes entailing a WTG & ATG pass with buffing and minor touch ups if necessary. At times I may make a 3rd pass XTG if the particular razor is more on the milder side as the Mamba is known to be and has proven to shave in my experience. But still a very capable shaving tool. I’ll always finish with a cold water face rinse and Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla astringent followed by Manetti & Roberts Rose Water facial toner. Always finishing with the aftershave splash that is being tested.

I performed my shave today with a WTG, ATG and XTG 3 pass routine. Just a little bit of chin buffing to pick up a couple of stragglers and a BBS finish was attained. Very minor irritation on the chin as the alum pass proved, but everywhere else was spot on irritation free. Went through my normal post shave routine and applied the Nivea Vitalizing Aftershave Lotion. I don’t skimp on product use and always use perhaps more than most users would. But, I believe in protection, moisturizing and soothing when it comes to an aftershave splash, one shouldn’t be frugal with their face. Put a good amount into my hands and worked it into my face, neck and chin. The product was absorbed quickly and easily into my skin with out any oily, greasy or sticky after effect. The scent was nice but very subdued. No burn or bracing effect with this splash. The scent was rather short lived as it was gone in about 15-20 minutes. My face felt nicely moisterized and supple after a few minutes but the minor irritation on my chin did not subside as fast as I’m normally accustomed to with the Nivea 2in1 lotion. Probably lasted about an extra hour or so before it subsided. But after that, my skin felt very comfortable and healthy. No dryness or oily after effect. I used an edt about 20 minutes after applying the splash and it did not interfere with the scent in any way.

Not a bad start for this Nivea splash. Just thinking about the irritation on my chin and perhaps did not apply enough lotion in that area to help in soothing and relieving my irritated skin. Will keep that in mind and remember to use a better even measure of product to said areas. Will stick with this splash for this weeks shaves. Looking for better results down the road.

Here’s a pic of the ingredients list on the back label.

2BDA0FD2-594A-477F-BC13-C34509CE3B8D.jpeg

Great shaves to you Gents.......

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
To start it off, I used the Nivea Vitalizing Aftershave Lotion for this mornings shave.

View attachment 863336
I will be using a range of different razors from de’s to se’s and a couple of straights/shavettes to get a different feel on shave finishes and on how the splashes will work correspondingly to each post shave finalization. I’ll complete each shave and use each aftershave and will allow a minimum of a couple of hours to see how each splash will work short and long term on how it performs in a few categories. Real time instant effect, scent duration and long term post shave performance.

Today’s shave participants were the RR Mamba, Kai SS blade, LPL Oud-Santal soap and the Yaqi Tuxedo brush. Most of my shaves are 2 passes entailing a WTG & ATG pass with buffing and minor touch ups if necessary. At times I may make a 3rd pass XTG if the particular razor is more on the milder side as the Mamba is known to be and has proven to shave in my experience. But still a very capable shaving tool. I’ll always finish with a cold water face rinse and Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla astringent followed by Manetti & Roberts Rose Water facial toner. Always finishing with the aftershave splash that is being tested.

I performed my shave today with a WTG, ATG and XTG 3 pass routine. Just a little bit of chin buffing to pick up a couple of stragglers and a BBS finish was attained. Very minor irritation on the chin as the alum pass proved, but everywhere else was spot on irritation free. Went through my normal post shave routine and applied the Nivea Vitalizing Aftershave Lotion. I don’t skimp on product use and always use perhaps more than most users would. But, I believe in protection, moisturizing and soothing when it comes to an aftershave splash, one shouldn’t be frugal with their face. Put a good amount into my hands and worked it into my face, neck and chin. The product was absorbed quickly and easily into my skin with out any oily, greasy or sticky after effect. The scent was nice but very subdued. No burn or bracing effect with this splash. The scent was rather short lived as it was gone in about 15-20 minutes. My face felt nicely moisterized and supple after a few minutes but the minor irritation on my chin did not subside as fast as I’m normally accustomed to with the Nivea 2in1 lotion. Probably lasted about an extra hour or so before it subsided. But after that, my skin felt very comfortable and healthy. No dryness or oily after effect. I used an edt about 20 minutes after applying the splash and it did not interfere with the scent in any way.

Not a bad start for this Nivea splash. Just thinking about the irritation on my chin and perhaps did not apply enough lotion in that area to help in soothing and relieving my irritated skin. Will keep that in mind and remember to use a better even measure of product to said areas. Will stick with this splash for this weeks shaves. Looking for better results down the road.

View attachment 863349

Good review, good products, Thanks!

I use Nivea Sensitive ASB all winter. The balm seems to keep some moisture in my skin in the dry winter months after a shave. A teaspoon or so goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 863336

View attachment 863349

Nice review...thanks. So, the scent is mild and it doesn't linger too long...hmmmmm...I have to buy some and try it!

Got in a good shave today and put in a second use with the Nivea Vitalizing after shave lotion/splash. Decided to go with a more aggressive razor, the Parker Variant and start at a higher setting as I hadn’t shaved since Sunday. Also I was going on the 9th use of the Kai blade and was probably thinking that some irritation could be creeping up with the aggressive setting and a good used blade. Didn’t happen. Just a couple of weepers on one side of my Adam’s apple and very minor razor burn from buffing on both jawlines. I think if I would have used a lesser quality soap rather than the Grooming Dept. Voyage, it might have been a different story. Any how, went through my normal post shave routine with cold water rinse, alum pass that picked up on the jawline burn, Humphreys Alcoholado and the M&R rose water. Took a good amount of the Nivea Vitalizing lotion and went to town with it especially on both jawlines. Like I said on the first day, no burn or quench with this stuff, just a nice pleasant soothing effect with a very light scent that’s gone in less than 30 minutes. The burn subsided in about 15 minutes and my face felt soothed and moisterized after all was said and done. My skin really absorbs this stuff very quickly with no stickiness or oily feeling. So far, the Nivea Vitalizing lotion/splash has done its thing. Haven’t had any major shaving irritation or burn as of yet, but the week is still young. Next shave will be with a shavette and see how that goes.....

2A0F110D-EF19-40AC-B460-5953EB9399AB.jpeg

Pulled out one of my straights and got an excellent shave in. Slight irritation on the jawline area but everywhere else was on point. Grabbed a good amount of the Nivea Vitalizing lotion and slapped it on making sure to get real good coverage on both jawlines. A very nice soothing and calming sensation and the irritation was pretty much gone in 15-20 minutes. An hour later I didn’t feel any discomfort and the scent was long gone from the aftershave. This stuff will not interfere with your preferred scent, cologne or edt/edp. My skin feels smooth, hydrated and healthy. Nivea Vitalizing is making a case to hang in the den with the rest of them.....

114532DB-7941-4EB9-87C3-BC522AB22D53.jpeg

Pulled out one of my straights and got an excellent shave in. Slight irritation on the jawline area but everywhere else was on point. Grabbed a good amount of the Nivea Vitalizing lotion and slapped it on making sure to get real good coverage on both jawlines. A very nice soothing and calming sensation and the irritation was pretty much gone in 15-20 minutes. An hour later I didn’t feel any discomfort and the scent was long gone from the aftershave. This stuff will not interfere with your preferred scent, cologne or edt/edp. My skin feels smooth, hydrated and healthy. Nivea Vitalizing is making a case to hang in the den with the rest of them.....

View attachment 864361

That blued steel looks pretty cool.

Got 2 more shaves in and the Nivea Vitalising A/S has been up to the task for all the shaves in dealing with minor irritation, razor burn and inflammation/redness. The scent is very light and dissipates rather quickly. No fear of it clashing with your preferred scent of the day. It goes on really well with no oily feeling as the skin absorbs it rather quickly. About a minute later your face feels smooth and moisterized not to mention a decent soothing effect once applied. Miracle juice? No, but it does what it says it will do. Soothe, refresh and condition your freshly shaved face after a couple of rounds with steel being raked over it. Simply it works and for the $4 - $8 that it might cost a fellow shaver, well worth it in my book.
IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

On a side note, though it contains alcohol (denatured) there is absolutely no burn or quench from this product. No menthol either. It feels more like a face tonic with soothing qualities..... I can see adding a few menthol crystals to it to liven it up a bit. Just might do that.

Are these plastic or glass? Nivea switched to plastic for the balms ( I buy them and dump them in my old glass ones).

They look nice!

I just purchased some yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. I must say...you are spopt on with your assessment. Grea
Got 2 more shaves in and the Nivea Vitalising A/S has been up to the task for all the shaves in dealing with minor irritation, razor burn and inflammation/redness. The scent is very light and dissipates rather quickly. No fear of it clashing with your preferred scent of the day. It goes on really well with no oily feeling as the skin absorbs it rather quickly. About a minute later your face feels smooth and moisterized not to mention a decent soothing effect once applied. Miracle juice? No, but it does what it says it will do. Soothe, refresh and condition your freshly shaved face after a couple of rounds with steel being raked over it. Simply it works and for the $4 - $8 that it might cost a fellow shaver, well worth it in my book.
View attachment 864965
View attachment 864966

On a side note, though it contains alcohol (denatured) there is absolutely no burn or quench from this product. No menthol either. It feels more like a face tonic with soothing qualities..... I can see adding a few menthol crystals to it to liven it up a bit. Just might do that.
I purchased some yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. Your assessment is spot on. Mild scent that doesn't overpower or linger and no burn. Great product. My new favourite.

I purchased some yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. Your assessment is spot on. Mild scent that doesn't overpower or linger and no burn. Great product. My new favourite.
I checked my bottle and mine doesn't have "Vitalizing" on it...just "Originals After Shave Lotion". Everything else looks the same. I wonder if mine is an older version? Still, a great product.

I checked my bottle and mine doesn't have "Vitalizing" on it...just "Originals After Shave Lotion". Everything else looks the same. I wonder if mine is an older version? Still, a great product.
Good question. Nivea has been known to repackage identical or closely related products and promote them into different markets, ours included. So, it could be the same. Did you check the ingredients list?

Good question. Nivea has been known to repackage identical or closely related products and promote them into different markets, ours included. So, it could be the same. Did you check the ingredients list?
Ingredients are the same. Must just be the packaging and marketing.

I use Nivea Sensitive AS Balm almost daily, I find it to be quite soothing; I love the scent, kind of wish it lingered throughout the day in a subtle way...if anyone knows of an EDT that shares that scent and live subtley on me, please do tell!

I find that another product that is very similar to the Sensitive Balm is Proraso white balm, almost the same properties but a different scent (like this one also); however, I feel more comfortable using the Nivea as a full face moisturizer (even tho its not touted as such) than the Proraso for some reason.

I don't find either greasy, and I have normal skin that can vary between slightly dry and slightly oily depending on the weather.

Following with interest.

Please compare/describe the scents of these products.

Ingredients are the same. Must just be the packaging and marketing.
I concur..... Though I will say that of all the Nivea products I've used so far (aftershaves & balms only) the 2in1 lotion has been the best performing so far. It kind of has a mix of balm and splash, that's why it has to be shaken. Best way that I can describe how it goes on is a splashy creaminess that the skin absorbs quickly without any tacky or sticky face feel. And it gives a very slight cooling sensation, not burning or quenching like Chiseled Face or Fine can provide. The scent is also low key as it will not interfere with your choice of fragrance as it's gone within 15-20 minutes after being applied. I use it daily without fail. Other than doing this trial, it's the only time I haven't used the 2in1 lotion.

Top Bottom