What's new

Nivea Aftershave Lotion... Hype or for real? My Journey.

Ever since I tried the Nivea 2in1 lotion splash, I have basically used it in practically every post shave routine regardless whether the shave was great or not. I believe my face has benefitted from consistently using this product religiously. On the days that irritation was had, this particular product came through in spades for me in reducing and practically nullifying the irritation, burning, redness and possible inflammation from just a bad shave day in the Den. It happens to us all whether it was poor technique, bad/used blade, eyes half closed wee hours of the morning or whatever reason, we all will have a bad shave now and then. The product I'm referring too here is this:
IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

It has worked tremendously well for the past 6-7 months that I've had it. It's a two part aftershave splash/lotion that needs to be shaken to activate the ingredients. It provides a nice cooling sensation, no big time burn/quench that soothes and relieves razor burn. It feels like a traditional aftershave splash with a bit of an oily consistency that the skin almost absorbs instantaneously. No sticky residual after effect or oily feeling on the skin. The skin actually feels hydrated and protected with a nice moisterized feel.

Unfortunately, this particular item is not available stateside, and is either purchased through auction sites like eBay or etsy at a much higher price than retail. You can get lucky and find it on sites such as notino or jet, but they pop up very rarely.

So, I decided to purchase a few more of these Nivea aftershave lotion/splash products (4 different splashes/lotions) and do a comparative test and result experiment. Just to see if these other Nivea products perform better, equal to or less than the 2in1 product that I've been using. Here is a photo of those Nivea products:

IMG_2606.JPG

I'll be using each product exclusively for 7 complete shaves. Once the first set of shaves is complete, I'll move on to the next product in line and do the same 7 shave test and so forth until I go through all four items. I'll post all the ingredients of each product once I begin each trial phase and any particular tidbits such as alcohol based or alcohol free and whatever else that might be pertinent to each item.

If anyone would like to post their thoughts and experience about these particular products, please do so. Positive or negative makes no difference. All input would be appreciated from new or old (newbies or vets in the wet shaving world).

I think that most Gents that have tried the Nivea product line have been limited to mostly the balms, as that is what is mostly available here in the US. The splashes are scarce in places like Walmart, Target, CVS and other retailers.

I'll be starting this trial run on the first day of the new week, Sunday the 25th of February. Better to keep track and stay focused starting fresh and run from the first day of the week to the last.

Like I said, posts, thoughts, opinions and experiences would be extremely helpful and informative for all. Post away Gents..

Shave on!!!! :shaving:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I use the sensitive balm, but only after an irritating shave. It's great for calming irritation, but too greasy to use everyday, and thankfully most of my shaves are irritation free.

I use the sensitive balm, but only after an irritating shave. It's great for calming irritation, but too greasy to use everyday, and thankfully most of my shaves are irritation free.
The balm works well especially during frigid temps, but I’m more of a splash/lotion guy. And I don’t mind an occasional burn/quench every now and then, especially during the summer months from the likes of Fine, Chiseled Face, Aqua Velva and others.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have used the fresh active Nivea aftershave lotion and really enjoy that splash, the fresh scent is just great and I wish it was a little longer lasting. If Nivea could just make a cologne to complement that scent it would be a block buster seller no doubt. The Nivea balms are just great also but the scent is not long lasting but the balm makes my skin feel wonderful and all you need is a pea size amount. I noticed I started using a lot of Nivea products and I found that body lotion with all the great natural oils(Nivea Pure & Natural Organic Argan Oil & Jojoba Oil Body Milk for Dry to Very Dry Skin)
and hardly has preservatives works just great for a pre shave and for general skin care.( you get a lot for hardly any money and is worth it.) I take a a good squirt and put it on first on a dry face beard and let it soak while I brush my teeth and will put a hot towel on the face and let it soak for a bit and apply the shaving lather and it softens and hydrates the whiskers up, sometimes i will add a little aloe vera gel with it to help moisten the whiskers also. I hope it helps you or some others.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is the same stuff just in a different package?
NIVEA FOR MEN Energy, Double Action Balm 3.30 oz - Pharmapacks

Not the same thing. The double action balm is actually a balm, but marketed as a product that can be used as an ASB plus a facial moisturiser. L'Oréal also have similar products.

The 2-in-1 aftershave lotion is actually an aftershave lotion, but marketed as product that provides the benefits of both an ASB and a splash. As mentioned above, this is actually an oily type of splash/lotion that absorbs well.

AFAIK, the "fresh active asl" & "cooling asl" are not available in Australia. The sensitive ASL & originals ASL are available from major pharmacy chains (both were available from major supermarkets, but supermarkets can quickly change what they chose to stock). I'm guessing the "Originals" ASL might be the same thing as the Protect & Care vitalizing ASL - I might be wrong. "Protect & Care" sounds like some new branding, so it wouldn't surprise me if the "Originals" brand gets replaced with "Protect & Care" in the near future. Actually, this might be happening right now as it appears the Originals Splash is being phased-out.

I use both the 2-in-1 ASL and the Originals Splash. Both are very good products, which get the job done. The 2-in-1 ASL is known as "Protect & Care 2-phase ASL" in some countries. The Originals Splash has no menthol & just a little bit of alcohol, but it is very mild & doesn't burn. It's a refreshing splash and is not drying. It will be a pity if it's discontinued (hopefully it's just going through a brand/packaging change and its not been replaced with the 2-phase aftershave lotion, because I do like both products).

Not the same thing. The double action balm is actually a balm, but marketed as a product that can be used as an ASB plus a facial moisturiser. L'Oréal also have similar products.

The 2-in-1 aftershave lotion is actually an aftershave lotion, but marketed as product that provides the benefits of both an ASB and a splash. As mentioned above, this is actually an oily type of splash/lotion that absorbs well.

AFAIK, the "fresh active asl" & "cooling asl" are not available in Australia. The sensitive ASL & originals ASL are available from major pharmacy chains (both were available from major supermarkets, but supermarkets can quickly change what they chose to stock). I'm guessing the "Originals" ASL might be the same thing as the Protect & Care vitalizing ASL - I might be wrong. "Protect & Care" sounds like some new branding, so it wouldn't surprise me if the "Originals" brand gets replaced with "Protect & Care" in the near future. Actually, this might be happening right now as it appears the Originals Splash is being phased-out.

I use both the 2-in-1 ASL and the Originals Splash. Both are very good products, which get the job done. The 2-in-1 ASL is known as "Protect & Care 2-phase ASL" in some countries. The Originals Splash has no menthol & just a little bit of alcohol, but it is very mild & doesn't burn. It's a refreshing splash and is not drying. It will be a pity if it's discontinued (hopefully it's just going through a brand/packaging change and its not been replaced with the 2-phase aftershave lotion, because I do like both products).
Good insight and info. Nivea to my understanding have always tried to repackage items whether old or new in one part of the world or another in their marketing and business strategy. If it works for them or not I can't say, but I've enjoyed their 2in1 AS product and a couple of their balms. I've read on forums such as here on the B&B and others that the 2in1 is a brand new product line, but in others that the product has been around for at least 10 years. I happen to believe the latter as I have done a bit of research on this product and at least to me it has been around for some time now and it's just repackaged to give it a fresher look.

The other Nivea lotions are a bit easier to find here, but still can be a challenge at times. It is possible that some of these are products are the same, just with different packaging. Though, I will state that all of the new items that I just received have different and varying ingredients. I'm assuming that there has to be a slight distinction in performance and results with each particular product. Hey, that's why I'm having this trial. Only one way to find out. Thanks for the input... :thumbup1:

Nivea likes to tempt Americans with products they don't sell in the US. It's cruel and unusual. I've written to them asking if they would at least sell it to online retailers like Amazon, but no. Maybe Amazon Germany will ship it.

I see that there's like an oil/water separation there and it needs to be shaken in order to equally dispense them..... but what activates when you mix them?
Activate was the wrong word. Just so that both liquid properties can be mixed thoroughly and be affective in soothing, moisturizing and healing as a whole.

Okay so my experience was not "alone". If I used too little, I was not feeling the after shave recovery. Too much and I had a very greasy face with acne a couple of days later.

From my small experience, as mentioned above, Nivea hits the market with new or repackaged "stuff." It is available but after a short time (poor sales???) it disappears. By the time I am ready to try it again or try to get an in person view, it is gone.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Okay so my experience was not "alone". If I used too little, I was not feeling the after shave recovery. Too much and I had a very greasy face with acne a couple of days later.

From my small experience, as mentioned above, Nivea hits the market with new or repackaged "stuff." It is available but after a short time (poor sales???) it disappears. By the time I am ready to try it again or try to get an in person view, it is gone.

I only get irritation occasionally, so I don't suffer "cumulative effects" from the Nivea. I do however, find it very soothing, and don't need much to calm an angry face. I would say that I use something like the size of a Smartie (or a chocolate M&M for those who aren't familiar with Smarties), and that does the job just fine.

(as an aside, I found that I can use Bluebeard's Revenge balm more frequently without adverse cumulative effect)

I agree that sales tend to go in phases, and over here, different retailers seem to have offers on the same products around the same time. Just before Christmas, the Nivea Sensitive Balm was "reduced" from £5+ to around £2.50, so I picked up another bottle, even though I wasn't running low, purely because I don't want to be paying £5ish when I do need some.

Ron R

I would like to mention something about Balms by Nivea- women just love that stuff as a primer for their make up.
I did some research on Nivea sensitive balm before buying it and found on youtube women swear it is one of the best primers.(primer meaning it goes on first and then the makeup- they claim the skin likes it and makeup removal is easier.) I have lots of time to research things when in my Retirement years- boring:sleep12::idea:.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I would like to mention something about Balms by Nivea- women just love that stuff as a primer for their make up.
I did some research on Nivea sensitive balm before buying it and found on youtube women swear it is one of the best primers.(primer meaning it goes on first and then the makeup- they claim the skin likes it and makeup removal is easier.) I have lots of time to research things when in my Retirement years- boring:sleep12::idea:.

Having done a lot of stage work over the years, and having to get the old grease paint on for a lot of it, I can understand this completely. Some stuff is a nightmare to shift if you haven't slapped some moisturising stuff on first, and I hated going back to my day job in a heavy engineering environment with stubborn make up residue round my eyes....

I only get irritation occasionally, so I don't suffer "cumulative effects" from the Nivea. I do however, find it very soothing, and don't need much to calm an angry face. I would say that I use something like the size of a Smartie (or a chocolate M&M for those who aren't familiar with Smarties), and that does the job just fine.

(as an aside, I found that I can use Bluebeard's Revenge balm more frequently without adverse cumulative effect)

I agree that sales tend to go in phases, and over here, different retailers seem to have offers on the same products around the same time. Just before Christmas, the Nivea Sensitive Balm was "reduced" from £5+ to around £2.50, so I picked up another bottle, even though I wasn't running low, purely because I don't want to be paying £5ish when I do need some.

I probably need to try balm again, maybe. I may need to follow that advice weather I need it or not, if I like how it is working.

The only Nivea splash I can find locally is the Nivea Original AS (blue) splash. I have not purchased it yet (even though I am a big Nivea fan) because if it has a strong lingering scent I won't be able to wear it...so I don't want to spend the money until someone can tell me if the scent is one of those that lasts all day like Aqua Velva or if it dissipates quickly like their balms or Lucky Tiger.

Ron R

The only Nivea splash I can find locally is the Nivea Original AS (blue) splash. I have not purchased it yet (even though I am a big Nivea fan) because if it has a strong lingering scent I won't be able to wear it...so I don't want to spend the money until someone can tell me if the scent is one of those that lasts all day like Aqua Velva or if it dissipates quickly like their balms or Lucky Tiger.
The scent on my Nivea aftershave is mild and does not last that long (<1.5 HRS) and it has a refreshing fragrance.

Top Bottom