What's new

The best shave I've ever gotten with a SE Razor! Razor & blade combo may surprise you.

It does look like an M-2! Great condition from the pictures! It is an amazing razor with the TWINs. If you have any less good injector blades, you'll want to insert one of those before the TWIN blade. It looks like there is a blade guard feature on your M-2. I thought it was unique to the M-3, but there is a finger knob on the bottom of the razor just like on the M-3. Very interesting. Nice find sir! I hope you enjoy the TWINs!

Thank you! Yes that is a push-up deal that raises the guard in front of the blade. Thanks for tip on preloading the blade, will do.

Thank you! Yes that is a push-up deal that raises the guard in front of the blade. Thanks for tip on preloading the blade, will do.

The first blade serves the place of a blank which is what these razors used to come with. If you don't have a blank or old blade inserted, the blade will tend to drag on the blade stops which dulls and ruins the blade. Much better to ruin a cheap blade on the blade stops than a $2-$3 blade... The Personna blades can be bought from Ted Pella for around $4 for 20 blades. I prefer the Chinese Schick blades over the Personnas but the Chicks are around $1 per blade. I'm keeping the Personnas on hand just to put into new injectors.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So I was told this is the M2 but I don't know anything about the Schick adjustables. I do want to hunt down some twin blades now :thumbup:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Protector arrived today. Mine has a dial like this one, but it has no insert. Instead it has an indentation where you might expect an insert except the interior of the insert is very handsomely textured, clearly not in anticipation of an insert.

Do you have an understanding yet of how the blade protector functions? I can't tell at all. I will put a blade in it tomorrow and see if that helps me figure it out. I paid a rather handsome price for my razor, and I want to make absolutely sure everything works as it should. Otherwise The Protector is going back to the vendor.

No, I'm not thinking anything is wrong. Mine is super clean, and looks to be in great shape, and the adjustable feature looks to work. I don't know how the blade protector works so it's hard to evaluate.

From what I've read, the blade protector only works when the adjustment is set on #1, so it has to be adjusted before the blade protector is activated. That's just something I read. I know nothing about the mechanism yet.

Buy TWIN blades, link. If buying from Japan you must get the small packet shipping or the shipping will be even more than the blades. I know from bad experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I would recommend buying from eBay rather than messing with the Rakuten shop. Took five days to get my transaction processed. Then three weeks for shipping. My eBay transaction took 11 days from order placement to blade arrival, also coming from Japan. I paid $2 more for the eBay blades. Worth it just to not have that headache, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was told this is the M2 but I don't know anything about the Schick adjustables. I do want to hunt down some twin blades now :thumbup:

proxy.php

proxy.php
Nice find and it does look a little different than mine. I'l have to really look closely and compare. Get those twins as they make a huge difference compared to other injector blades with the Type M.

I think this thread has single-handedly raised the going rate for adjustable Schicks in the past few weeks. Not that cheap anymore.
HAHA! I actually think your right and that goes for the twin blades as well. I just got a notice on ebay and the price went up to $31 shipped as they were only $27 last month when I made my last order. Oh boy I better get a backup Type M before they start going for big money.
:a17:

The first blade serves the place of a blank which is what these razors used to come with. If you don't have a blank or old blade inserted, the blade will tend to drag on the blade stops which dulls and ruins the blade. Much better to ruin a cheap blade on the blade stops than a $2-$3 blade... The Personna blades can be bought from Ted Pella for around $4 for 20 blades. I prefer the Chinese Schick blades over the Personnas but the Chicks are around $1 per blade. I'm keeping the Personnas on hand just to put into new injectors.

Great advice. I have one Pella injector fairly full (didn't take to those blades on first try) that will help here.

The Protector arrived today. Mine has a dial like this one, but it has no insert. Instead it has an indentation where you might expect an insert except the interior of the insert is very handsomely textured, clearly not in anticipation of an insert.

Do you have an understanding yet of how the blade protector functions? I can't tell at all. I will put a blade in it tomorrow and see if that helps me figure it out. I paid a rather handsome price for my razor, and I want to make absolutely sure everything works as it should. Otherwise The Protector is going back to the vendor.

No, I'm not thinking anything is wrong. Mine is super clean, and looks to be in great shape, and the adjustable feature looks to work. I don't know how the blade protector works so it's hard to evaluate.

From what I've read, the blade protector only works when the adjustment is set on #1, so it has to be adjusted before the blade protector is activated. That's just something I read. I know nothing about the mechanism yet.

Buy TWIN blades, link. If buying from Japan you must get the small packet shipping or the shipping will be even more than the blades. I know from bad experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks Jim and congrats on your haul :) The blade protector is a simple affair that just raises the guard bar up in front of the blade edge so you can toss the razor in a travel bag if needed in relative safety. The guard bar itself can be raised up by the thumb and appears spring tensioned. On my razor the blade protector works regardless of the dial setting. The lever serves to keep the guard bar in the up position if you want it there. Top pic shows the lever down in the shaving-ready position, bottom pic is the guard bar raised.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice find and it does look a little different than mine. I'l have to really look closely and compare. Get those twins as they make a huge difference compared to other injector blades with the Type M.

Thanks!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
HAHA! I actually think your right and that goes for the twin blades as well. I just got a notice on ebay and the price went up to $31 shipped as they were only $27 last month when I made my last order. Oh boy I better get a backup Type M before they start going for big money.
:a17:

Since I already got one, mine is by definition less pricey than yours will be.

Oh, I forgot, its an auction site, and sometimes there are deals. Although I hardly ever find one. Most of the deals I see I find by checking what's already been sold.

I think I need two spares, so we can bid against one another.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I wonder if I still have mine after reading this. I used them in the late 70s after my first SS got out of whack. I do love my DEs but I'm always looking in to other modes. Not going back to carts but this might be good for a traveler. I always liked sliding that blade in. I also had one that looked like a shift knob too. Nice post! If a company made Techmatic blade kits I would be curious on that one. My Grandfather had one briefly. He said it cost too much and went back to his SS. Now I know it went out around that time which explains things.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My new razor - a Schick injector called The Protector - has arrived.

M2Protector.Clear.MightyMidgetBoar.jpg
M1.M2.Bottoms.Heads.Clear.JPG M2.Protector.M1.Top.Whole.JPG
M1.M2.Top.Whole.JPG M2Protector.Top.Clear.Handle.Texture.JPG

I believe the razor is an M2, going by the dial, but it also is lacking an insert on the top of the handle. I thought maybe this was just something that was missing, but it is quite clearly not supposed to be there. The interior of the indentation where an insert might be is textured in an attractive manner. Plus, the razor is identified with the manufacturer's name right below the dial.

The other razor is my Schick Type M1.

proxy.php

These two razors both seem to be in working condition. I find nothing wrong with either of them. The Protector's blade protection mechanism does indeed protect the blade in the #1 position as it is supposed to do.

However...

The "blade gap" and the "guard span" are considerably different from one razor to the other on the various settings. The newest of my razors - The Protector, the M2 - has way more gap than the older razor, the M1.

I do not know if this indicates a problem with one of the razors? If so, which one?

Or, maybe the Schick people changed the design?

upload_2018-2-7_12-39-9.png

My guess is there is no way to be sure of the answers to these questions, but if you have any knowledge, or understanding, or comments, I'm all ears.

I shaved today with The Protector set on #7, my usual, and got a pretty good shave considering the TWIN blade was brand new. But, that may mean nothing in terms of the questions as I am a shallow angle shaver and a cap rider.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My new razor - a Schick injector called The Protector - has arrived.

View attachment 858584 View attachment 858585 View attachment 858586
View attachment 858588 View attachment 858589

I believe the razor is an M2, going by the dial, but it also is lacking an insert on the top of the handle. I thought maybe this was just something that was missing, but it is quite clearly not supposed to be there. The interior of the indentation where an insert might be is textured in an attractive manner. Plus, the razor is identified with the manufacturer's name right below the dial.

The other razor is my Schick Type M1.

proxy.php

These two razors both seem to be in working condition. I find nothing wrong with either of them. The Protector's blade protection mechanism does indeed protect the blade in the #1 position as it is supposed to do.

However...

The "blade gap" and the "guard span" are considerably different from one razor to the other on the various settings. The newest of my razors - The Protector, the M2 - has way more gap than the older razor, the M1.

I do not know if this indicates a problem with one of the razors? If so, which one?

Or, maybe the Schick people changed the design?

View attachment 858592

My guess is there is no way to be sure of the answers to these questions, but if you have any knowledge, or understanding, or comments, I'm all ears.

I shaved today with The Protector set on #7, my usual, and got a pretty good shave considering the TWIN blade was brand new. But, that may mean nothing in terms of the questions as I am a shallow angle shaver and a cap rider.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I think your new one is an M3. Great razor. I was lucky enough to get one cheap on eBay because, based on the tip of the handle, it looks like the original owner either had a puppy or was trying to quit smoking. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think your new one is an M3. Great razor. I was lucky enough to get one cheap on eBay because, based on the tip of the handle, it looks like the original owner either had a puppy or was trying to quit smoking. :)

What makes it an M3?

Not arguing with you, just trying to figure it out. It has the dial of an M2, I think.

And, the main thing is, I really do want to know about this stuff, as related to the Type M razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The lack of a handle insert is what makes it an M3.

As for info, there is no definitive site, but the closest is probably Schick Injector Razors

I think you're correct.

There is no definitive information, and the closest, and best is the site you linked. If there's anything better, or more comprehensive, or in any way an improvement I can't find it, and I've looked pretty hard. I'm am no longer an historian, but majored in history, and know how to look. It probably can't be found and does not exist outside of obscure and unavailable company documents.

The classification of Schick razors as Type G or Type O, or whatever, is an invention, and a very useful one. It is not a company classification. I would not be surprised if the the actual real life manufacturing was a bit more fluid and perhaps, as was the case with Gillette, a bit of grab these parts and stick them together.

Here's what the site says that's relevant:

M2: "Adjustable by Schick" Injector Razor

Handle insert, Dot on knob with cross.
Packaging: Various plastic cases.
M3: Schick Injector "Adjustable Razor"
No spine insert, black dot on knob)

M2Protector.Top.Clear.Handle.Texture.JPG

My razor has no spine insert. It also has a dot on the knob with a cross.

The lack of spine insert says M3. The knob says (maybe) M2.

I have found at least one razor which looks as far as I can tell exactly like mine which was called by the vendor a Type M3.

I believe the lack of spine insert is the defining characteristic of the Type M3, and that the company may have used more than one knob (using up supplies?) in the assembling of the razors.

I'm going to refer to mine as a Type M3 unless definitive and trumping information surfaces.

Thanks,

Jim

Since I already got one, mine is by definition less pricey than yours will be.

Oh, I forgot, its an auction site, and sometimes there are deals. Although I hardly ever find one. Most of the deals I see I find by checking what's already been sold.

I think I need two spares, so we can bid against one another.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Haha Jim

I like this razor so much I definitely want a back up and it seems like there are less of them on the bay lately. I’ll have to search the Euro sites.
Yeah I saw the price increase in the Twins and I think they know we want them badly enough to hike the price up.
On the bidding.. may the best man win! No wait! May we both find our backups!
Great shaves my friend!

I think you're correct.

There is no definitive information, and the closest, and best is the site you linked. If there's anything better, or more comprehensive, or in any way an improvement I can't find it, and I've looked pretty hard. I'm am no longer an historian, but majored in history, and know how to look. It probably can't be found and does not exist outside of obscure and unavailable company documents.

The classification of Schick razors as Type G or Type O, or whatever, is an invention, and a very useful one. It is not a company classification. I would not be surprised if the the actual real life manufacturing was a bit more fluid and perhaps, as was the case with Gillette, a bit of grab these parts and stick them together.

Here's what the site says that's relevant:

M2: "Adjustable by Schick" Injector Razor

Handle insert, Dot on knob with cross.
Packaging: Various plastic cases.
M3: Schick Injector "Adjustable Razor"
No spine insert, black dot on knob)

View attachment 858660

My razor has no spine insert. It also has a dot on the knob with a cross.

The lack of spine insert says M3. The knob says (maybe) M2.

I have found at least one razor which looks as far as I can tell exactly like mine which was called by the vendor a Type M3.

I believe the lack of spine insert is the defining characteristic of the Type M3, and that the company may have used more than one knob (using up supplies?) in the assembling of the razors.

I'm going to refer to mine as a Type M3 unless definitive and trumping information surfaces.

Thanks,

Jim
I’ve not seen one without the spine insert but have seen different dials on what appears to be identical models so I think your assumption is correct

Has anyone tried shaving with a Schick twin blades on an injector that opens and closes to clean the razor?
I recently got one and instead of using the injector I just went ahead and opened the razor and placed an NOS Schick twin injector blades, I'm not sure what the model of this injector but the twin blade's seem to fit right by just opening it and placing the twin blades.
I haven't tried shaving with it yet but I also have a Schick dial adjustable injector but want to make sure if what I'm doing will work or just go ahead and use the Schick dial in case some of you have tried what I just did and had horrible results.
After reading through the thread I realized I had a twin blade in a type L that I haven't used yet and a single blade on this razor that's also unused so I switched the blades to see if it would fit the twin blades in this injector.
If anyone knows what model injector do I have that I can open the razor to clean and place blades this way as well?
I just got it a month ago and just now trying to use it hopefully with great results with the twin blades, I also got a single NOS blade in my dial "made in Holland " right now that I also have not used yet.
I hope I can pair the right blades with the razor before I start with these injectors.
I posted a pic of the razor with the twin injector blades.
Thanks for any feedback or advice.
Injectorwtwin.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Has anyone tried shaving with a Schick twin blades on an injector that opens and closes to clean the razor?
I recently got one and instead of using the injector I just went ahead and opened the razor and placed an NOS Schick twin injector blades, I'm not sure what the model of this injector but the twin blade's seem to fit right by just opening it and placing the twin blades.
I haven't tried shaving with it yet but I also have a Schick dial adjustable injector but want to make sure if what I'm doing will work or just go ahead and use the Schick dial in case some of you have tried what I just did and had horrible results.
After reading through the thread I realized I had a twin blade in a type L that I haven't used yet and a single blade on this razor that's also unused so I switched the blades to see if it would fit the twin blades in this injector.
If anyone knows what model injector do I have that I can open the razor to clean and place blades this way as well?
I just got it a month ago and just now trying to use it hopefully with great results with the twin blades, I also got a single NOS blade in my dial "made in Holland " right now that I also have not used yet.
2I hope I can pair the right blades with the razor before I start with these injectors.
Thanks for any feedback or advice. View attachment 858775

From here, linked, I think you have an E2.

E1: Flat Head spring with tabs
E2: Round spring with flaps

Spring moved left to open the
blade clamp for washing.

Package: a black bakelite box (like D),
or gold and red cardboard box.

E2 to E5: spring fixed in place at sides.

BOSC2Anything for science.jpg

If the TWIN doesn't seem weird in the razor (loose, crooked, etc.) and if the blade is not doing damage by being too large, it should be fine. Be very careful at the beginning of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I hope I can pair the right blades with the razor before I start with these injectors.
Thanks for any feedback or advice. View attachment 858775

My understanding is that the TWINs primarily were made for the type L onwards. They can be used (I’ve heard, haven’t personally tried) in the type I and type J injectors that do not have the hydro magic cleaning bar. Yours is a much earlier version (E 2 seems right). Those aren’t necessarily made to open like that though. Certain types of Es can be opened to clean but I’m not sure which. The injector magazine is the best way to load Schick injector razors for sure. I would personally use the TWINs in your dial and stick with the normal blades in the E 2 until you can get some firsthand experience from someone here. Perhaps @xxvaleria can chime in with his wisdom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom