What's new

My Grande Journey

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2017-12-31_19-26-0.png

Wouldn't this work a lot better with a Feather?

BOSC2Anything for science.jpg

Very few of the Amazon reviewers mention shaving with this bad boy, but my experiments have led me to conclude the razor blade lacks sufficient rigidity. YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm thinking about how splendidly my Fatip Master Plan has been pulled off up to this point. It has exceeded all of my expectations. I'm thinking about creating a journal thread to showcase my obsession. I think I'll call it: My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond. (Photos Welcome).

I'll create it after the Mk1's arrive.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm thinking about how splendidly my Fatip Master Plan has been pulled off up to this point. It has exceeded all of my expectations. I'm thinking about creating a journal thread to showcase my obsession. I think I'll call it: My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond. (Photos Welcome).

Enablers R Us Buy Them All.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

We'll be expecting you to keep detailed files on each razor, blade types used, how many shaves per blade, blade flipped or not, how each type of wood handle behaves during and after the shave, which wood gives the best performance, the best shaves and why.

image29.png

Dont forget, your research as comprehensive and benefiting to mankind it may be, it will remain incomplete without testing the performance of gold plated Fatip and Joris razors. We cant only do this in part. We need concise results across several samples.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
We'll be expecting you to keep detailed files on each razor, blade types used, how many shaves per blade, blade flipped or not, how each type of wood handle behaves during and after the shave, which wood gives the best performance, the best shaves and why.

View attachment 848957

Dont forget, your research as comprehensive and benefiting to mankind it may be, it will remain incomplete without testing the performance of gold plated Fatip and Joris razors. We cant only do this in part. We need concise results across several samples.

Which means others have to buy the Plisson razors, right? Others such as Mike, right?

EnablersRUs AVOID RESTRAINT.jpg

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!

View attachment 848957

I will try. It's kind of hard beyond remarking the shave with that Fatip, Joris, or Schone was great. I will endeavor to be nuanced.

As far as plating goes, I find nickel to be a smoother, softer, shave than chrome. Gold offers a shave a little rich for my blood, and my wife will probably make me move into the garage if I purchase one. Palladium is about as rich of a shave as my skin can handle, and I do want to keep my skin. We do have to remember stuff like, yes, plating and wood handles are very important to a razors preformace, but we can't forget, or overlook, the supporting factors that contribute to a razors preformace. I might dare suggest that such supporting factors might actually even things out as far as a razors preformace goes, and in a way a nickel, chrome, or gold finish razor may actually preform about the same because of these supporting factors. One might even say that the supporting factors are the great equalizer as hard as that may be to fathom. There, I've gone out on a limb and said it at great risk to public perception of my mental stability.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I will try. It's kind of hard beyond remarking the shave with that Fatip, Joris, or Schone was great. I will endeavor to be nuanced.

As far as plating goes, I find nickel to be a smoother, softer, shave than chrome. Gold offers a shave a little rich for my blood, and my wife will probably make me move into the garage if I purchase one. Palladium is about as rich of a shave as my skin can handle, and I do want to keep my skin. We do have to remember stuff like, yes, plating and wood handles are very important to a razors performance, but we can't forget, or overlook, the supporting factors that contribute to a razors performance. I might dare suggest that such supporting factors might actually even things out as far as a razors performance goes, and in a way a nickel, chrome, or gold finish razor may actually perform about the same because of these supporting factors. One might even say that the supporting factors are the great equalizer as hard as that may be to fathom. There, I've gone out on a limb and said it at great risk to public perception of my mental stability.

I like nickel better than chrome, too, but I'm not sure I can say exactly why. Gold, I've never tried it.
My Plisson has a fancy metal plating, but I've not used the razor enough to say I can accurately comment on it.

I am convinced a slick cap top makes a difference. Minor perhaps, but not insignificant.

As far as handles go I do not appreciate the differences. Some look really cool (example, my Plisson), but other than being able to hold on to them because they're not too slippery I think I just automatically adjust to the girth, length, and balance and all that. There isn't any conscious adjustment.

I've not used a wooden handle, and might find one knocks my socks off.

It's not that I disagree about the supporting factors and such. I suspect they are significantly important, but just too subtle in their effects for me to actually appreciate and be aware of them.

I look forward to learning a great deal more here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It's not that I disagree about the supporting factors and such. I suspect they are significantly important, but just too subtle in their effects for me to actually appreciate and be aware of them.

I look forward to learning a great deal more here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

What I meant by supporting factors to a fine fit and finish are: weight, balance, blade clamp, gap, no gap, blade exposure, baseplate and cap size and curvature etc.. :001_unsur

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There, I've gone out on a limb and said it at great risk to public perception of my mental stability.

I'm not sure once past this, there will be any question as to your, or dare I say our, mental stability.

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-1975-jack-nicholson-laughing.png

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Polsilver shave #19.

Blade flipped.

47hours since last shave. CC Sandalwood soap.

I thought I'd start directly ATG again and make sure this blade was still up to it. It is ;)

One full buffing pass, and I was watching my strokes over my neck. They were easily 4"s long or as long as my neck would allow first pass.

Wipe and check, paint my neck, buff in a different direction and done for another BBS shave.

Sorry @Cal I'll have to think of the words to continue the rhyme lol.

Let me state this for the record: Everyone needs a Fatip razor, and Polsilver blades :).

Top Bottom