What's new

My Grande Journey

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Fatips@Raven Koenes. Rave, those are really cool looking razors. Haven't I seen something like that before in your collection. It's beginning to occur to me that you must like a certain type of razor.

Pictures of Mk1 and Mk2 parts side by side for comparison?

Pictures showing the blade exposures of the two caps?

Shave reports (well, I know they're coming). Can't wait.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Here are my Chrome Grande (Mk2) on the left and Nickel Grande Mk1 on the right in the first two pictures. On the third the Mk1 is on the left and my Mk2 on the right. Sorry, I tried to get the money shot on the third picture, but it didn't happen. The smaller Mk1 cap is raised a little higher and shows more blade, but I think the blade exsposure is about the same. I'll let you know what I think when I shave with the new Nickel Grande Mk1 or the Piccolo Mk1. From what I've heard the Mk1 is slightly more aggressive.
rsz_090.jpg

rsz_095.jpg

rsz_105.jpg

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Here are my Chrome Grande (Mk2) on the left and Nickel Grande Mk1 on the right in the first two pictures. On the third the Mk1 is on the left and my Mk2 on the right. Sorry, I tried to get the money shot on the third picture, but it didn't happen. The smaller Mk1 cap is raised a little higher and shows more blade, but I think the blade exsposure is about the same. I'll let you know what I think when I shave with the new Nickel Grande Mk1 or the Piccolo Mk1. From what I've heard the Mk1 is slightly more aggressive.
View attachment 850178
View attachment 850179
View attachment 850180

Thats a buncha blade exposure lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thats a buncha blade exposure lol.

Rave, I agree with Mike, but how does it shave?

If I understand it correctly, the increased blade exposure is because the cap is a mm more narrow, right, so the blade is the same relative to the combs but not the same relative to the cap?

Impressive additions. Soon to be rare razors, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Another fine crisp Canadian morning with yet another 6"s of densely packed fine snow.

Untitled.jpg

Should I keep using the same Polsilver or should I try another blade. This is the question of the day.

I'm waiting for the plow to go by so I can blow his mess out and do my neighbors plow in, so I have time to ponder this dilemma lol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Another fine crisp Canadian morning with yet another 6"s of densely packed fine snow.

View attachment 850296

Should I keep using the same Polsilver or should I try another blade. This is the question of the day.

I'm waiting for the plow to go by so I can blow his mess out and do my neighbors plow in, so I have time to ponder this dilemma lol.
Twenty shaves is pretty formidable Mike. No one would fault you for starting out fresh, and it might be kind of pleasant to switch at least psychologically. It's a personal thing after all and not a contest. That's the way it used to be in the Excalibur Club once upon a time. What ever you decide I'll be interested and supportive. What will Mike do next?

Mike will come in out of the snow, contrive to prepare some warm lather, and go for a nice, fresh Polsilver blade . . . maybe.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What the hell. Isnt it suppose to get warmer when the sun starts shining??? lol

Untitled.jpg

I dont see any point in using a fresh Polsilver. This one is smoother than a fresh one lol.

I'm still waiting for the plow but I'm thinking I might unwrap my last Gillette Yellow. Or maybe try a Treet Platinum. I havent used one in my Grande yet, but I really didnt like them in my NEW SC.

Or maybe, I'll put this Polsilver in my Regent. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
IMG_2304.JPG

44 hours since last shave.

After I loaded this blade I wasnt sure if I had used one in my Grande before or not. A search turned up nothing so I guess I didnt.

Seeing as it didnt exactly overwhelm me with sharpness in my NEW SC, I opted for a more traditional shave.

First pass WTG/XTG, no buffing, and quite a lot of tugging. The Polsilver for shave #20 tugged less starting directly ATG.

Second pass buffing ATG as I normally do went without issue, but didnt get me very close.

Two more lathering passes over my neck and jawline and I couldnt feel the razor cutting, but it did want to skip. I shaved all I could feel on feedback from the razor as steep as I could manage to get it to cut, and while very smooth it was ineffective.

I dont have a BBS finish anywhere. Not even on my cheeks...

one_flew_over_the_cuckoos_nest-1.jpg

Sharp blade?

V7fV0Y3.gif

This has been a wasted shave. If I had stayed with the Polsilver for shave #21 I would have had a better shave, and closer and more comfortable too.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Or mine! But to be fair, I have passed on the opportunity to use a Treet blade . . .

Indeed I should have lol.

If you're happy with a DFS and like the smoothness of a properly rounded over and blunted edge, it may be your perfect blade lol. Otherwise nope, certainly not for me.

I'll quit screwing around do things right next shave ;).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mike, I think we have a pretty good idea what blades are plenty good enough.

Out of all the other blades in the world, there might be another even better blade, but is finding it something we must do? I think not. Of course, you are free to give it a try, and I will love reading about your experiences, and I might even try another said-to-be great blade sometime.

On the other hand, the best blade I've tried so far is the Schick Proline. I'd advise you to try one. Oh, I forgot, your razors only work with those too-skinny, too-flexible double edged blades.

Not that I don't have about a thousand of those suckers. Four hundred Polsilver blades, for example. What was I thinking? Oh, yeah, somebody said they weren't making them any more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I feel better eliminating a blade than possibly missing out on a good blade from any I have, and I have a tuck and a half of Treet Platinums. I feel better knowing its not for me and can think of it as future pif fodder or other giveaways.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I feel better eliminating a blade than possibly missing out on a good blade from any I have, and I have a tuck and a half of Treet Platinums. I feel better knowing its not for me and can think of it as future pif fodder or other giveaways.

I don't know if I have any, but I doubt I'll use them if I do. Thanks to your report.

Top Bottom