What's new

Something new from Remington

I saw an ad for something similar in pistol calibers a few months back, looked like it was built like a barrel using skivs. I thought the same thing, it'd be a nightmare trying to defend yourself in court if you ever had to use it. Could be entertaining to use on filled milk jugs though .
Jack

Ad Astra

The Instigator
O.A.T.H. Ammunition. Used to be made in Merritt Island (FL). Went out of business last year sometime. ...

I have a feeling I know why ... Geneva Convention, anyone?

Cannot imagine a more expanding projectile.

Rockin' thread veer! (ahem) "So, fired out of that new Remington, sure would be effective in law enforcement use."

AA

I've never been a believer in buck shot. I know many are, but I've seen even 000 buck cripple deer at 30 yards and in one case, a 3 1/2" load of 000 out of an Ithaca Mag10 I have here, we had to chase that deer 9 concessions before we finally killed it with a slug. Thats 9 miles, or more.

If you can hit it with buck shot you can hit it with a slug. If close range and over penetration is a concern, a trap load will do most that needs doing at 10-15 yards.

Thirty yards is a bit long for buckshot. I've passed on shots that far. Maybe I could have gotten a clean hit; maybe not. Deer hunting with buckshot is roughly at archery range.

I've carried and fired rifled slugs in modified cylinder for practice. The slugs were in case we ran into bear. I liked to have a slug backing a couple of rounds of 00 Buck in the magazine and one in the chamber. OTOH, the slugs we used were hollow points made by Remington, in 2.75" shells. Over the years I've wondered if those hollow point slugs were a poor choice for bear, as they would mushroom pretty quickly. OTOH, we figured it would tear deer up too much. Maybe not, but we didn't chance it.

The main thing I dislike about rifled slugs is the fouling. It would leave clear streaks of lead in the barrel. Yeah, they kick, but so do any high dram equivalent shells with heavy lead loads.

If I hunted with slugs, I'd be interested in a slug gun. But when I consider it, I think about rifles.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thirty yards is a bit long for buckshot. I've passed on shots that far. Maybe I could have gotten a clean hit; maybe not. Deer hunting with buckshot is roughly at archery range.

I've carried and fired rifled slugs in modified cylinder for practice. The slugs were in case we ran into bear. I liked to have a slug backing a couple of rounds of 00 Buck in the magazine and one in the chamber. OTOH, the slugs we used were hollow points made by Remington, in 2.75" shells. Over the years I've wondered if those hollow point slugs were a poor choice for bear, as they would mushroom pretty quickly. OTOH, we figured it would tear deer up too much. Maybe not, but we didn't chance it.

The main thing I dislike about rifled slugs is the fouling. It would leave clear streaks of lead in the barrel. Yeah, they kick, but so do any high dram equivalent shells with heavy lead loads.

If I hunted with slugs, I'd be interested in a slug gun. But when I consider it, I think about rifles.

There is no rifle season for deer where I live and I need to go an hour north for rifle hunts. We could never carry a rifle here with a larger projectile than .277 for anything.

I shot 2 3/4" Foster slugs for many years in my old full choke Auto 5 deer hunting. I was sitting on a log one day waiting for the pushers to make it through the bush and I heard a deer coming. I can still hear it breathing before I heard its hooves in the snow. It passed in front of me at maybe 10 feet broadside at a slow trot. I didnt even stand for the first shot and hit that buck 3 times in the heart and when we field dressed it the heart was in 2 pieces right down the middle.

Every time a slug hit that deer it looked like someone threw a pail of red paint in the air. He fell in the creek when he turned away from me after going maybe 30 yards with the afterburners on.

One of those foster slugs failed to exit and we found it inside. It had flattened out and expanded to the size of a Silver Dollar and was about as thick. If the range wasnt so short, they would have performed better and have for me many times.

That lessened my confidence in them quite a bit, but the Brenneke slugs are harder and would be my choice of a Foster type slug for bear defense.

Before I had my 11-87 when I was in bear country, Lucy Lu (Lupara) always came with me.

Lucy Lupara.JPG

20g with 21" barrels because the law here states that all hunting firearms have a barrel no less than 20 1/8" long. Cylinder bore, hammerless double. Loaded with 3" #2 shot it will deal with any bear at tent wall distance lol.

It lived on the dash of my fathers truck when he was out running coyotes with hounds. Death on bunnies with slow working beagles too.

The last deer I shot with my 11-87 was quartering away across a plowed field. I saw it coming and my friend 100 yards down the fence line watched it too. It saw him and cut out into the field. He didnt shoot but he could have. I shouldered my 11-87 and thought to myself, "Thats a damn long shot" and let one go with one deer length lead and a couple feet high. I can still see the slug hitting the dirt 6 feet behind that doe level with the base of its tail. I gave it another deer length lead and about 3 feet high and let another one go. I hit that doe center of the neck, it turned directly away from me, took 3 steps and fell over. I can still see it's last 3 breaths in the cold air.

I looked down the fence line at my buddy, raised the gun over my head and he came over. We both paced it at 147 paces.

That 3" Remington Copper Solid didnt exit and it traveled around the spine without breaking it. The 4 petals broke off and did their work.

We left her laying there and went back to the fence line and waited for the 3 friends we had pushing the concession and when they got there they said "Who shot?" I said I did, they said "Wheres the deer?" We pointed out into the plowed field and all 3 of them called me a liar when I said I was standing right here lol. We both told them to check where the empties are and have a look at the scene, then they finally believed it.

That was my 33rd deer. Sabots work, and work damn well. I wouldnt even had tried it with my Auto 5 and a Foster slug but I shot that 11-87 on paper enough with sabots to know I was good at 100.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I dont know if the 3" Federal Premium sabots are still the same as these or not.

12GaugeSlugCutOpenBigger.jpg

I've never seen one recovered from a deer and they were just as accurate as the Remington Copper Solids in my 11-87.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
What I like is the submunition ... oh, sure; it's great to blow a 2.6" hole in something that deservedly needs it- but the saboted smaller projectile then went through the hole!

Say a prayer for the tankers of WWII- and today, too.

Awesome slug hunting tales from the North, Mr. @Esox

I cast the Lee "key" slugs but truthfully haven't shot them yet. Gave a bunch to a bud who loaded them; he was happy.

AA

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have an 870 Police Magnum. About 15 or 20 years old. Bought new. Never fired. Why? Don't know. It has that great extended magazine.

Mostly I like shooting my Benelli M4. It is my very favorite gun. Not that I have a huge number of guns (well, my wife says I do), but it is the gun I find most fun to shoot. The Benelli is a bit rich for my blood, but it was a gift from my brother. He was dying, and knew he couldn't take it with him so he bought me a nice shotgun and my wife a nice camera.

During his last hospitalization, he was extremely sick, and I'm sure just about nobody thought he was going home. He said he was. He'd bought a new little pistol, and hadn't fired it. He was determined to get in some range time with the new gun. We were able to go shoot steel targets a few times before he got too sick to do it. Even then, he wanted to go to the range. He talked about setting up an air gun range in my yard (he lived with us in his last year or two), but never got to it.

I can't express how glad I am he was able to shoot that little pistol. It meant so much to him. He also liked shooting my Benelli and my Stoeger Coach Gun. The 12 gauge coach gun is a handful. I can't say I very much enjoy shooting it unless the dram equivalent numbers are pretty low, and, even then, it is a lot less fun than the M4.

L3.jpeg

His other love was tennis. This Schick is in my collection to honor that.

Happy shooting,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Awesome slug hunting tales from the North, Mr. @Esox

Thanks. I know its not the right thread for stories such as that but relevant all the same. I remember when I was 14 or 15 and a friend of my fathers asked me for a story. I didnt know what to say lol. My father stepped in and said "Hes too young to have any." I have a lot now...

We need a forum titled "Around The Campfire" or something! I checked and there doesnt seem to be particular forum for that sort of thing. I'm sure many members of this forum have a lot of campfire type stories about hunting, fishing, shooting and the outdoors etc.

The Benelli is a bit rich for my blood, but it was a gift from my brother. He was dying, and knew he couldn't take it with him so he bought me a nice shotgun and my wife a nice camera.

Sorry to hear about your brother, but at least you got to spend time with him.

Stoeger Coach Gun

Thats what my little 20 is!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks. I know its not the right thread for stories such as that but relevant all the same. I remember when I was 14 or 15 and a friend of my fathers asked me for a story. I didnt know what to say lol. My father stepped in and said "Hes too young to have any." I have a lot now...

We need a forum titled "Around The Campfire" or something! I checked and there doesnt seem to be particular forum for that sort of thing. I'm sure many members of this forum have a lot of campfire type stories about hunting, fishing, shooting and the outdoors etc.

Don't forget ghost stories!

to hear about your brother, but at least you got to spend time with him.

Yes, we were estranged for decades (he was estranged from everybody in the family), but I got a year and half with him, and a chance to be the kind of brother I would have wanted him to be had it been me, at least for the most part. It was a blessing to take care of him, and help him, and get to know him again.

Stoeger, thats what my little 20 is!

Better guns than some people give them credit for being.

Happy campfires,

Jim

Sounds like what I went through with my brother. I feel for you but I'm glad we both got the chance to say goodbye to them.
Jack

I was expecting to see a third micro-screen that shaves even closer.

(I use the "New Posts" tab and didn't realize this post was in this section)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I believe thats why they were discontinued. I and my brother inlaw tried them in a Browning B78 30-06 with a hexagon barrel, and thats a damn accurate rifle. It wouldnt shoot those things in groups, more like patterns lol.

When we lived in southern Alberta he shot that '06 and I shot a Browning BBR .270. Ranges were long. My .270 was sighted 4"s high at 100 with 130 grain Winchester Silvertips and I could keep them in a cigarette package at 400 yards. That '06 was right there with it. My nephew has it now, but I still have its little brother in .22-250.

The red dot below is 1". Theres 5 shots there from that B78 .22-250.

22-250.JPG

We both use to sit on the ground, one in front and the shooter behind and use the front persons shoulder as a rest lol. It worked but beware the muzzle blast! lol.

With those Accelerators, he couldnt hit a jack rabbit at 100.

Top Bottom