What's new

What do you guys use here downunder for a shave bowl and where did you get it? Lather Shots included

Gordon,

La Toja is know for including mineral salts from a local spa as ingredients in most of their products. Could be something in that causing you trouble.

Maybe...

One of the ingredients that people are nervous about is SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) aka SDS (sodium dodecyl sulfate). Here's the deal from Wikipedia:

Like all detergent surfactants, removes oils from the skin, and can cause skin and eye irritation. It has been shown to irritate the skin of the face, with prolonged and constant exposure (more than an hour) in young adults. SDS may worsen skin problems in individuals with chronic skin hypersensitivity, with some people being affected more than others.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Cider and Rugby night for me. My wife goes to singing practice on a Thursday so I get to have a couple of ciders and watch the NRL in peace.

Sounds like a good way to spend a Thursday night. I enjoy my temporary batchlor nights when they come around.

Maybe...

One of the ingredients that people are nervous about is SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) aka SDS (sodium dodecyl sulfate). Here's the deal from Wikipedia:

Like all detergent surfactants, removes oils from the skin, and can cause skin and eye irritation. It has been shown to irritate the skin of the face, with prolonged and constant exposure (more than an hour) in young adults. SDS may worsen skin problems in individuals with chronic skin hypersensitivity, with some people being affected more than others.

that sounds risky with my sensitive skin :001_07: thanks for the heads up

that sounds risky with my sensitive skin :001_07: thanks for the heads up

I've seen SLS in one or two of the shaving soaps I've used and they've never given me any trouble. I'm more likely to get trouble from fragrance oils than any of the other usual suspects. As always YMMV.

Maybe...

Thanks Rich. I'm going to compare the ingredient list with Proraso and wait until next week to try it again and see what happens.

I am a little skeptical about some of the adverse comment on so-called irritants, or even ingredients that are supposed to be carcinogenic. These days we seem to over-react to bad publicity about elements that have a minute chance of causing harm, possibly based on overblown reports by the competition.
With most of these, unless there is clear empirical evidence to support claims of negative properties (or positive, come to that) I take them with a pinch of salt. That said, a fair percentage of the shaving creams I own are artisan produced and usually vegan formulation, though they are selected by trial and error, rather than chemical analysis. Maybe subconsciously I am taking on board the 'false news'.

haggis as in the Scottish delicacy right?

And drwevil, I've always wondered how I'd say that, is it meant to be "Dr weevil" like pronounced Dr Evil, or is it "drwe - vil" ???

Yep. Scottish delicacy. That's me.

I think Dr weevil, but best check with the owner. :001_302:

Yep. Scottish delicacy. That's me.

I think Dr weevil, but best check with the owner. :001_302:

At the risk of taking the thread off the rails...

Another Scottish delicacy. Vanilla ice-cream and Drambuie. mmmmmm.

Something I was made aware of by a Greek friend many years ago. Smart people, the Greeks.

I am a little skeptical about some of the adverse comment on so-called irritants, or even ingredients that are supposed to be carcinogenic. These days we seem to over-react to bad publicity about elements that have a minute chance of causing harm, possibly based on overblown reports by the competition.
With most of these, unless there is clear empirical evidence to support claims of negative properties (or positive, come to that) I take them with a pinch of salt. That said, a fair percentage of the shaving creams I own are artisan produced and usually vegan formulation, though they are selected by trial and error, rather than chemical analysis. Maybe subconsciously I am taking on board the 'false news'.

Agreed, they've labelled Bacon and Sausages as class A carcinogens, they've lost all credibility with me :a32:.. I will continue to happily eat my bacon and sausies each weekend.. Also, my skin loves the animal based soaps.. The tallows and lanolins I find just provide me with a much better and nourishing lather.

Agreed, they've labelled Bacon and Sausages as class A carcinogens, they've lost all credibility with me :a32:.. I will continue to happily eat my bacon and sausies each weekend.. Also, my skin loves the animal based soaps.. The tallows and lanolins I find just provide me with a much better and nourishing lather.
Too true. Sometimes is pays not to over-analyse it.

Bacon bad for you. Whatever next?

I steer clear of commercial cosmetics as much as possible. But i do keep in mind its really much much more complicated than simply saying natural vs chemical.. for one all things are made up of elements/chemicals.. and toxicity is about dose not just exposure. Plenty of natural things contain elements that would kill us in sufficient quantities etc etc etc. Still i'd much rather keep it simple, plus i really just don't feel the desire to rub carbomer into my skin..

Those things are in there to make the soap more perfect/never go off and to me they just lose soul. I'd much rather use something from a true crasftsperson.. when its practical to do so of course. I don't need my cars hand built...

Top Bottom