What's new

New Giesen & Forsthoff Timor DE razors

Strange, that there is no thread here on the rather new Giesen & Forsthoff „Timor“ DE razors from Solingen. G&F is an old company based in Solingen, producing scissors, knives and straits. They used to offer butterfly razors too, but these are made in China. About half a year ago they hit the market with an „designed and made in Germany“ three piece razor.

This is coming in two different versions, as an Open comb and as a Safety bar razor. The heads are made of diecasted zinc or zamak and are very nice chromium plated. Quality is high and as good as the Mühle or Edwin Jagger razor heads.

Handles are made of stainless steel or wood and stainless steel. The stainless steel handles are available in both 80 and 100 mm length, while the wooden versions are available in 100 mm only.

Price here in Germany is on the higher end, the 80 mm stainless steel handles plus head costs 48 Euro. The longer 100 mm stainless steel handles costs 50 Euro. The wood/steel versions are offered for 75 Euro. Additional leather cases are offered for another 15 Euro.

Alas, the usual suspects like Connaughtshaving.com and shaving.ie are carrying the cheap chinese razors offered by G&F only, not these high quality razors. Here you’ll find them on the german Amazon site: http://amzn.to/1kLUVYo

I’ve used both the open comb as well as the safety bar, and all I can tell is, that it is a magnificent razor. The open com a little bit more aggressive than the safety bar, but still on the mild side. Yet both heads offer very efficient and good shaves. Craftmanship is excellent, the handles aren’t slippery, much to my surprise.

Here in Germany this is a real success among wet shaving aficionados, the shaving forums are full of very positive reviews.

Here you’ll see the OC with the short stainless steel handle and the safety bar with the Padouk handle:

Attachments

• $P1010064.jpg
    $P1010064.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
Never heard of them until now. Perhaps it's been a lack of marketing outside of Germany. After all, many favorite B&B brands are German.

I have had my eye on this razor for a while, but the only place I saw it available had problems quoting me shipping to the USA so I was very hesitant to pull the trigger.

Very nice design, unique flare to the handle for sure. All these small things we're missing out on because it doesn't actually leave the region.. same goes for watches. Thank you for sharing the finding and experience with this.

I can only highly recommend this razor. Either OC or CC. Both are great shavers. Very gentle but with huge quality.

You won't regret it...

Anyone care to further comment on the OC Timor? Seems to be not particularly widely distributed but also that it might interest a few folks here.

I bought the Giesen + Forsthoff Pure Shaver (profiled handle with 80 mm length made from chromium-plated brass and a two-piece head with safety bar made from chromium-plated zamak). I purchased it directly from the G + F factory outlet, but perhaps "factory" sounds a little too posh for the small but tidy backyard workshop with a workforce of approx. 10 people. :wink1: Anyway, the lady who sold me the razor was very knowledgable and helpful.

When I tried out the razor this morning, I felt absolutely no buyer's remorse at all. The material and finish quality is almost on par with Mühle and Edwin Jagger, and it provides a very gentle, smooth and clean shave.

Photos will follow as soon as I get around to taking some pictures.

And here are the photos I promised: My brand new Giesen + Forsthoff Pure Shaver:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I consider the Timor blades that come with the razor a beautiful looking gimmick but I'm not going to use them owing to the not so very good reviews of that particular blade. I will stick to using my Gillette Silver Blue blades instead.

I LOVE that handle! Wow.

How is the shave - aggressiveness wise?

The handle is superb. It makes the razor easy to manoeuvre across the face and ensures a firm and safe handling even with soapy fingers.

"Aggressive" is the last word that springs to mind when you shave with a G+F safety bar razor. It must be noted, however, that the G+F razors shave more thoroughly than the Edwin Jagger/Mühle safety bar models or the Merkur safety bar models except Merkur's slant bar and adjustable models.

With a DE89 or R89 and a Gillette Silver Blue or ASP blade, it takes me three passes to get a mild, yet clean shave, with, across and against the grain. With the same blade and a G+F razor, it takes me just two passes, with and across the grain to achieve practically the same result, i. e. I get a comparably close shave in less time, with lower risk of razor burn or injury.

strop

Now half as wise
The handle looks great. Very reminiscent of the flair tip superspeeds. I just may need to pick up one of these.

Well, I had been mulling over getting one of these OCs for a while now... pulled the trigger earlier this week. The cheapest of the 100mm handle ones should be on its way now. I have recently started looking for heads that have no overhang on the sides (for shaves when I'm tired or sleepy). I also ordered an iKon 103, will see how these compare.
Would love to get a Fendrihan dual comb SS Adventurer, too, but shipping costs more than the razor, which puts me off. :-/

These Giessen + Fordhoff really are very beautiful razors. They have that classic look that doesn't age. They are stylish without being fashionable.

Top Bottom