What's new

Bleedin' with a Gillette Old Type

DE Friends,

I learned to shave with a Gillette Super Speed in the '60's. In the late 70's I was seduced away into the Wilderness by electrics. Now, after howling for a few decades I've decided to reenter the human race and shave like a man....well, at least with a DE razor. I acquired a pre-1950 Super Speed. All was right with the world. My technique came back to me quickly. I spotted a Tech on ebay that seemed good so grabbed that. It too was fine. Being an "old fashioned kinda guy who wears Hamilton wristwatches from the 30's and 40's and carries ancient pocketknives I thought a Gillette Old Type and a Gillette New ought to be acquired. The Old came first. This morning I gave it a try. When I was regularly shaving with a DE I'd nick myself maybe once every other month. Since I started with the DE again a few weeks ago I had one nick. This morning I had three nicks and a gash. Well, maybe not a gash but I look like I've been in a minor knife fight.
I thought I was being reasonably careful - is there something wicked about a Old Type that I don't know about? Do you guys use them regularly or only just before Halloween? Are the New Type significantly better/easier?
Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed.
Hugh

Which OT do you have? I have found the single ring thin caps to give me the most trouble, but that may be because a high percentage of them (or at least of those I own) don't tighten evenly on both sides for whatever reason.

Now the ball end thick cap Old Type...that's another story. I find them to be much smoother, very efficient and considerably less temperamental than their reputation (according to some) deserves. Their weight, balance and handling characteristics are nearly perfect.

I've always found "riding the cap" (keeping the shallowest angle possible while still effectively cutting) gives me the best results.

proxy.php

It's a ball end thick cap. Tomorrow I'll be much more conservative and decrease the angle - "ride the cap" as you suggest. Thanks for your advice. Can't let the little beast beat me...even though it's drawn first blood. :001_302:

Good luck. I never had much luck with the Old. If I used a shallow angle, stubble would remain. If I took a steep angle, watch out!

Check blade exposure, gap, and evenness between sides. Doesn't take much to be off, and the chances it may have been dropped are fairly high, turning it into a blood thirsty beast.

It's a ball end thick cap. Tomorrow I'll be much more conservative and decrease the angle - "ride the cap" as you suggest. Thanks for your advice. Can't let the little beast beat me...even though it's drawn first blood. :001_302:

Also can I ask what blade you are using? I've had great results with either the Gillette Silver Blue or the 7O'clock Super Stainless, the latter probably being my favorite.

These razors are highly efficient and produce a really close shave once you are familiar with their characteristics. Best wishes sir!

I'm using Wilkinson Sword. Will give it a try tomorrow and be a bit more careful. Can anyone describe how a New would be "different" or "better"? I don't have a New but perhaps should hunt one down. Many thanks to all.

I've found the Old Type to be the most aggressive of the Gillette razors I've used, and it can bite. It took me a while to get used to the first one I found, but once I did I found it to be a great shaver. Perhaps it's not surprising yours drew blood on your first use of it if you were accustomed to a Superspeed. Just don't give up on it, and keep the pressure right down.
As for the new, that's a little less aggressive, if anything, but very smooth and effective.

Good luck. I never had much luck with the Old. If I used a shallow angle, stubble would remain. If I took a steep angle, watch out!

my experience mirrors Jim's. The Olds, especially the thin cap single rings, have a very narrow window of operation. Too shallow and no cutting, too steep and too bloody.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your insights. If millions of guys have used the Old I figure I ought to be able to master it, too. Will also keep an eye out for a New - incidentally, seems that few mention the New Improved; was it not successful? Thanks again.

The New is an excellent razor. Far more forgiving than the old.

As I recall, these are the differences in the three razors.

The Old was the first one out. The head is thin, there is a curved cap and blade-guard; two thick, round-ended pins, used to align the cap and guard; and the comb's teeth are all of a uniformly thin width.

"New Improved" is the second generation of Gillette DE razors. You can identify from the Old via the head: it's thicker; has a thick machined-flat blade-guard; two thick, round-ended pins, used to align the cap and guard; and the comb's corner teeth have a thick width, while the other teeth are uniformly thinner.

"New" refers to the third generation of Gillette DE razors. The New is the latest razor in the series. Again the head distinguishes the razor. A ridge runs along the length of the cap, and it fits into a matching slot, machined into the blade guard which is used to align the cap and guard.

Of the three, I prefer the New.

Go here to see what the various razors look like. As you can see, Gillette made various changes in the razors over the years.

Last edited:
Check blade exposure, gap, and evenness between sides. Doesn't take much to be off, and the chances it may have been dropped are fairly high, turning it into a blood thirsty beast.
+1
My thoughts exactly. I had a similar experience with yours using an uneven SS (probably dropped).

Jim - pardon my ignorance. How did you manage to edit your posting?

ACK! Now I see that there's an editing button - I swear it wasn't there a minute ago! Is this forum haunted?

Sorry to have bothered you.

Hugh

Last edited:
OK gents, I've read through (yeah, I skimmed a bit) the Great Old vs. New Grudge Match. I see that the OLD won! I wonder what Gillette would have thought of that result?! Anyhow, it tells me that my problem may be the skill of the magician...my problem. Thank you all for your inputs and for participation in the Great Old vs. New Grudge Match. I'll look on my Old with new respect and keep on keeping on.

@Gifford it will definitely come with time.

The first time I used an OT I wasn't thrilled at all and put it away...for many months. Then one morning by happenstance I decided to use it again. I believe at the time it was with a Gillette Silver Blue. That shave was so good it became my daily driver for months! That's just the way things happen. Good luck and be well.

OLDs are one of my favorites, but can be a bit tricky at first. They have more blade exposure than most other Gillettes, so they can bite. The extra exposure gives a very wide range of effective angles, some say use a shallow angle, some say steep. For me I find it works best to not think about what angle I'm using, and just let it find itself. It's more important to pay attention to pressure than angle, use just enough to keep it steady. It can be a little tricky with such a light razor, at first, but isn't that hard to master. I would suggest practicing with a well used blade at first until you get the hang of it. Also make sure you have a good slick lather, sometimes a lather that works well enough for a Tech or Super Speed may not be quite enough for a more aggressive razor. Don't give up on it, even if you shelf it for a while for the NEW. It can be very rewarding to master that seemed too aggressive at first. Once you have it down, you'll realize just how much of a ***** cat they can be.

Top Bottom