What's new

simple reloading

just as the title suggests, im looking for a way i can simply reload rifle cartridges. i know hornady makes some hand re-loaders for some calibers, that would be best as i wouldnt be reloading many rounds or need to do them quickly. the caliber is 7.7 x 58 jap. i know the round is based off the .303 british just without a rim, are there any simple solutions or should i save up around 400 for a full reloading set?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While you don't have to plunge in with a lot of money, I would advise starting with at least a modest bench mounted single stage press. Although hand presses are available, it would be a frustrating way to start out loading full sized rifle cartridges, although it can be done. If money is the issue, look for a used cast iron single stage press on the bay.

Lyman makes, or use to make, what they call a Tong tool, a hand held press. Calibers were limited, mostly to straight wall, I think.

Lyman makes, or use to make, what they call a Tong tool, a hand held press. Calibers were limited, mostly to straight wall, I think.
Lyman also makes/made them in various rifle cartridges. These and the Lee Loader, while they'll get you started, will definitely also leave you wanting better.

I highly recommend getting familiar with the different manufacturers offerings and hitting a few gun shows. Where a new single stage press will cost a bit you can usually get an older one for $40-50 bucks. There other tools needed such as a scale. If you want to save a little/start with nice used tools this is a good way to go.

You could do worse than to start with the Lee Challenger kit as a starting point. It covers most of the basics and would start you with a new press most of what you need.

For a first step find a copy of a Lyman, Lee or Hornady reloading manual. Read and re read the sections are the front on reloading. It'll give you the basic idea of what's involved.

A used reloading set is a great starting point, as Nortac pointed out. While the multi-stage reloaders are nice, you can get single stage reloaders fairly cheaply, often under $150 in my area. Nice thing is that they can last a lifetime, so you can resell it if you find yourself wanting to get into a nicer setup. Also, besides the auction site, check with your local rod and gun club. Mine will have folks looking to upgrade their equipment and not only sell their existing reloader at a reasonable price but will run through how to use it with you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Even if you want a progressive later there are times when having to change it over for a minor task isn't worth it. Having a good single stage, or a turret press, in your arsenal of options is highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I think starting out, a kit would be a great way to go, you get everything except the dies and the supplies, and can find them very reasonably priced. I went with the Lee Challenger Kit (it was right around $150), a single stage bench mounted press that came with a powder measure/thrower, primer press, scale, case trimmer, etc. And Lee dies are excellent. Gun shows are a great place to get reload supplies (casings, powder, bullets, etc) but online is the best place to get dies.

Just a word of caution, if you're reloading rifle ammo, the casing stretches more than handgun casing; and many chambers don't have a bunch of tolerance. Make sure you measure and trim the casings. SAAMI is a great resource for overall ammo sizing specs.

The Lee Loader hand tool kit works great if you are only loading for a bolt action rifle and only use the same cases from that same rifle and fire those reloads in the same rifle. This is because the case will stretch and the kit only resizes the neck of the case. I hope this makes sense.

Look for the video of the inventor loading a round on YouTube. Takes him about 40 seconds for one round.

Another vote for the Lee Challenger set. Nothing in it is junk; I don't like their powder measure but that is just me. I prefer a good trickler. Lee's scale is kind of quirky but once you get used to it, it works just fine.

The kit, plus a set of Lee dies, plus maybe an optional Redding trickler, will get you ready to turn out some quality rifle rounds. Not the best stuff, but it is perfectly good beginner equipment.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, OP has a Type 99 Arisaka?

I load both 6.5x50sr and 7.7x58 Arisaka; be advised chambers are sometimes sloppy, loose or egg-shaped ... And I like them above all other milsurps.

AA

Hm, OP has a Type 99 Arisaka?
And I like them above all other milsurps.

AA

You're a sick man :) I knew there was something I liked about you.

I'll add a couple to my herd eventually. I like my Mausers and other Milsurps a lot, for build quality/out of the box accuracy right now I'd go with my Swedish Mauser. Eventually I want a K31, that might change my mind.

I started on a Rockchucker like 15 years ago and used it for many, many years before stepping up my game to a Dillon 550, the RCBS RC is rock solid and fairly inexpensive.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
...Eventually I want a K31, that might change my mind.

Well, yeah- you need a K31. And another one with a scope. Also beech as well as walnut stock variants.

You HAVE to have a full set of wartime-year Mausers - don't forget Sauer und Sohn - and then there's the Mosin-Nagant itch ... M39's are where you start.

Then, only then, we'll talk Arisakas. I've never fired my last-ditch Nagoya, but I would.

Oh. The Swedes? They're good too.

AA

Well, yeah- you need a K31. And another one with a scope. Also beech as well as walnut stock variants.

You HAVE to have a full set of wartime-year Mausers - don't forget Sauer und Sohn - and then there's the Mosin-Nagant itch ... M39's are where you start.

Then, only then, we'll talk Arisakas. I've never fired my last-ditch Nagoya, but I would.

Oh. The Swedes? They're good too.

AA

Been that route with the K 31's, scoped, Swiss aftermarket Furter rear sight( fantastic adjustable for windeage and elevation) St Marie Apeature sight. Beautiful flame walnut stock to plain beech. My favorite though is a 1911 Schmidt Rubin, probably the most accurate of all my military rifles. Six in all. then the Swedish Mausers, one a 1900 Oberndorf, two digit serial number all matching. Another a first yer 1898 model, unfortunately not all matching, but a nice rifle. Walnut stocks, beech and one in elm. One Yugo Mauser and one Turkish, I spent a couple of years in Turkey in the USAF, so had to have a Turk.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Aha! Jeff, I have a beautiful 1946-made K. Kale. It shoots well, but I prefer my Persian (if I'm going to tote that giant smokepole to the range). I load 8mm with mild TrailBoss/cast boolit loads.

The Turks were the cheapest of all milsurps, about ten years ago. May have paid $69 for mine ... I *think* the darn bayonet (which I had to have) cost half as much as the rifle!

AA

You don't need much. Here is the setup I used for many years for 9mm, 10mm and .223.
- Lee Hand press
- Dies
- Scale (if you want digital, don't go too cheap as they are not accurate. I use a GemPro 250 now)
- Digital caliper
- Powder, primers, bullets, brass
- Reloading blocks
- Powder trickler
- Case Lube for rifle reloading
- Trimmer of some sort / Chamfer tool (I use a Lee hand trimmer with the wood ball handle cutter and the shell holder chucked into a cordless drill)
- Reloading manual or two.

I am sure there are a few other bits I have missed, but the above fits in a small rubbermaid tub and is easily stored. I used that set up for years. Last year I bought a RCBS Summit press, but the rest of the gear is the same. I use the Lee hand press all the time still - great for bullet seating and de-priming/resizing pistol brass in front of the TV.

If I was just starting out, I would seriously look at the Lee Classic Turret press and remove the center link to make it a single stage while learning. I went the hand press route as I had no dedicated space for a workbench at the time and it was nice to pack it all up and stick in the closet when done.

Most of my gear is Lee as they offer a great value. RCBS has a fantastic lifetime warranty, but you'll pay a bit more for the gear up front. RCBS, Dillon, Lee, Hornady - they all make ammo so figure out what space you have and what you want to pay and go from there.

Last edited:
The Lee classic turret is a great piece of gear. I have several friends who are long time reloaders who LOVE them.

Aha! Jeff, I have a beautiful 1946-made K. Kale. It shoots well, but I prefer my Persian (if I'm going to tote that giant smokepole to the range). I load 8mm with mild TrailBoss/cast boolit loads.

The Turks were the cheapest of all milsurps, about ten years ago. May have paid $69 for mine ... I *think* the darn bayonet (which I had to have) cost half as much as the rifle!

AA

Well AA, I paid about the same for my first Swedish Mauser, though about 20 years ago. About ten years ago I lucked into my first K 31 at a gun show, paid 125 which I later learned was way too much, but when I stripped down the stock and saw the quality of the wood in that one would have easily gone 3 times that price. It is what would be a $500 plus stock blank if sold just for the wood. I then got interested and got a C&R license and ordered several more, paying no more than $79 each at the time, This was in 2005, right after Hurricaine Katrina, and Rita, I remember because a neighbor helped by letting some folks from costal Texas stay there during Rita. I also got on a group buy and had a 1911 Schmidt Rubin inported. I never really developed an interest in any of the Mausers other than the Swedes, although if a nice Argentine or Chilean model would pass me by I might be interested, and I could say the same for a Siamese if I could get one to convert to 45-70.

One of my friends has an 96/11 that the importer converted to 30-30. It is wonderfully accurate and an absolute blast to shoot.

Top Bottom