What's new

What do you do with all the soaps?

Hi Folks!

With this thread I firstly just want to share my thoughts on the topic and secondly want you to bring in yours as maybe this will bring some clearance within my brain.

Why do many (not all for sure!) people purchase / possess more shaving soaps than they will ever be able to fully use up? This shall not offend anybody, I am really curious about this fact.

I have been wet-shaving for almost 17 years and 2 years ago I entered the field of traditional shaving. Having watched many shaving videos on YouTube and browsing through wet-shaving regarded fora, I firstly had the impression that many guys entered DE/SE-shaving due to lower costs and some even for environmental reason. Since 2015, from my perspective, the thing has changed and with the rising number of artisan soap makers coming up (which is a GREAT thing), it is as if almost all at least publicly active wet-shavers have developed an addiction to buy every latest soap that arrives the market. I am also very interested in new soaps from various soap makers, but I do not see the need to buy so much more shaving software than I actually can use. Of course, a shaving soap has a long shelf life, so one can have few to rotate. But some (well, many I would guess) do posses more than 30, 40, 50 shaving soaps.

So my questions are:

1. Are there guys out there that would publicly admit that they've developed an acquiring addiction?

2. What do you do with all these soaps that you'll probably only use a couple of times and then place back in your den? Do you do samples out of it (to hand them over to forum members), do you sell it, do you give it away to a family member, to friends?

3. Would you say that this is a general, broader trend in current western societies that one always thinks the newest is the best and due to the many opportunities / the huge variety one may think that one is missing/leaving something out that would be greater than the already great product/s that is/are working fine?

I wanted to make the change to, in my case, DE shaving for mainly two reasons: Better shaving results due to ingrown hair problems on my neck and to save money. I also bought and will continue to buy new products, especially from the great American, French and Italian soap makers (there are many more from other countries...I know...:), currently I do posses 6 different shaving soaps. 3 mass-market and 3 artisan soaps. I always use them until their end and then get a new stocking, knowing that I'll miss the many that appear on the market meanwhile. But that does not bother me. I tend to think that the new ones that really are as good as the ones I already know / have, will be on the market (waiting for me) when I want to buy them (because they've proven the market to have the right to be there so to say).

Another thought I have especially regarding artisan soap makers: Don't they, despite the most important aspect of good sales figures, also want their products to be really/fully enjoyed? I just doubt that this is possible if one does not use their soaps until the end or just give up using after one, two, three times because of the scent or, see my question number 3.

To me, acquiring more and more and more somehow contradicts/deranges the notion of deceleration (slower down my life at least for the part I am alone with myself in the bathroom) and sustainability (although my daily behaviour does not always satisfies that demanding).

I also want artisan soap makers still on the market to be successful and new producers to show up, that is not my point!

I am really just interested in your thoughts on this topic and the way you think about it.

I REALLY APPRECIATE COMPLETELY CONTRARY STATEMENTS / OPINIONS AND AGAIN WANT TO LET ALL OF YOU FOLKS KNOW THAT I DO NOT INTEND TO OFFEND ANYBODY ON HERE.

I am a proud member of the B&B forum!

Cheers
Christian

I'm the exception. I have three or four soaps and won't be ordering another until I get close to running out of at least two of them. I also only own two razors and will probably keep it that way unless I get to try others through a PIF. I started DE shaving to save money and have done so. While there are many soaps I would like to try, I can't use them up fast enough to justify getting more.

Also, I agree that getting more than necessary is a western trend. I am guilty of it at times, especially if I see woodworking tools.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Have between 20 and 30 and use them all at different times. Love the variety and choices each day to pick from. I do have them spread between 2 bathrooms I shave from at different times. I do only keep quality soaps and scents I like.

My thoughts on the whole "accumulation" part of it:
We all have to shave. At the base of it, it's just a chore. Day-in, day-out, the whiskers keep coming. We could all settle in with a single razor and can of foam, and get it done, right?
Those of us with the means and inclination to do so can add a bit of luxury to this chore, elevating the experience for ourselves. For me, I left disposable cartridges and ineffective electrics behind for DE razors, and have made what was a "chore", and a painful one at that, into a few extra moments during my day to shut-out everything else in the world. And whenever I catch a whiff of my aftershave during the day, it refreshes/ extends this experience in my mind. It's my version of meditation, or yoga, or whatever activity one does to "center" oneself. It makes me happy to have this personal thing that no matter what happens during the day, I've still got that time to myself.
I've got a few soaps, but not wildly excessive, I don't think. I do have a pretty large collection of aftershaves, though, and I mostly see it as an affordable luxury. I can try out something "exotic" or unusual, or examine different characteristics of different ingredients, etc. for what I consider to be a fairly minor sum of money. I'm not inclined to buy fancy cars or take fancy trips, so this is an easy way to splurge on myself a bit. And who doesn't like to smell good? I really do rotate pretty steadily through what I've got. No dead weight, or else it gets passed on.

I do like having a variety, to echo what some others have said. I also prefer different scent profiles during warmer weather vs. cold.

As for accumulating ... There is a part of me that KNOWS that my next soap won't be any better than the 20-30 of them I already have. But yet I still get caught up sometimes in the latest release of whatever vendor. Sigh. I just occasionally sell off soaps that I'm not using regularly. I'm sure I have enough soaps to last me the rest of my life.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Collecting and addiction are different. I have 20-30 soaps, but also have 20-30 different kinds of tea; not addicted to soap or tea- I just like variety, and so, enjoy collecting and using them.

Variety is the spice of life.

AA

I've thought about this many times myself and I think the responses have been great. I work with people and their money everyday and have found that everyone has a "vice". The key as some above has mentioned are being able to afford it. Most people can monetarily afford a "vice" that they spend their discretionary income on. In the case of many B&B members it is shaving gear. Others it may be classic cars or eating out or comic books. I think it just appears to be a little more rash than say classic cars due to the sheer volume of some peoples soap collections. You have 50 soaps is more shocking than someone having 1 classic car. However when comparing the cost of these soaps to certain cars, there is a heck of a price difference! As long as one does not drive themselves into debt to finance their hobby, there really is no harm. Me myself i cant justify having more than 6 or so soaps at a time, but then i am willing to spend lots of money on trips and vacations. It takes all kinds!

1. Yes

2. Yes - I give away, trade or sell all but my favorites. I trade or give away samples of my favorites. If I am only going to use something a few times, it's not a favorite. I am currently trying to get my soap stash down into the 10-20 range, but it's hard to get rid of a soap you like. I have done so recently and it's fun to see others enjoy them even more than I did. You might really like a certain food, but when you eat it for every meal, it can get a bit old... Some need more variety than others I suppose.

3. Possibly. For me it's been mostly trying to find scent and performance combinations I really like.

I don't buy soap very often theses days, but I do make about a two pounds batch every few months. I give some away, use it to bath with, made my own laundry detergent with it, and I always make a generous amount of lather every shave with absolutely no concern for wastes. Using up my vast supply is pretty easy. I can rest easy knowing that fights will break out amongst family and friend for it if there happens to be any left when I die. There may even be blood shed for the recipes!

I buy samples mainly so I don't have that problem. This limits me to what I can try.

I just tossed several samples because I didn't like them or they reacted with me.

I tend to get far too many or too much of everything, it's a bad habit that I need to address, I don't want to leave my family a huge mess to clean up when I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I do plan to settle down on a couple razors and sell the rest, I have more than enough blades for several lifetimes, and while I do have quite the collection of soaps now, don't plan to buy any for quite a while, and then only one or two.

By nature I'm frugal, but having lived through the end of fountain pens in the 70's and the shavepocalypse a few years later when I couldn't find injector razor blades anywhere and was pretty much forced to use cartridges, I tend to accumulate shaving stuff.

Peter

Variety is the spice of life. And I fully admit to having several acquisition disorders, among other disorders. I have about 12 creams but presently only have 2 soaps in my possession. However, I have 6 more soaps on the way. Can't wait for them to get here. Yay!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Shelving.....I need shelving....
DSC00716.JPG

Shelving.....I need shelving....
View attachment 772778

I'll gladly store the Mdc for you!

I'm fairly new. I'm somewhat of a minimalist. I could see having only a couple razors and brushes, and being happy.

Soaps are a little harder, as there's so many! The only way to try them pretty often is to buy them. There's samples, but they are typically not a great value. There are other folks descriptions of scent, performance, and often contrary opinions on the same product. You read reviews, but eventually you have to decide for yourself.

I like the variety. Maybe I'll find that one be all, end all soap one day. Maybe it's Mdc. Definitely want to try it eventually. Maybe it's one of the 7 soaps delivered this week. I'm now up to 9. Who knows? Maybe I'll give soap making a shot.

Soaps are probably my favorite part of the process.

No, not an addiction. An education at this point. Accumulating to much is a western thing. Some blame can go to retailers. Trying to meet $$$$ minimums for free shipping offers often leads me to purchase something I don't actually need, usually a soap. It will get used, gifted, or sold.

Mark

I'm sort of addicted, I admit. But I'm in a restraint right now, and I don't see myself buying another soap or cream for the rest of the year.

I decided to just buy scents that I like, and I rotate through my scent families every few months. Right now, it's rose, and my new, latest purchase, MdC Rose is so good I'll use it all month.

Then it's grapefruit, then cologne/neroli, with almond and Speick sneaking in there. I have about 50 soaps and creams, and that's enough.

If there is one thing for true, it is that there is no way for any of us to criticize another for the manner in which he or she enjoys the hobby.... So if you have one soap, or 50 soaps, good for you! We are all enjoying this hobby the way that satisfies us individually.

Me? I have 10 soaps at home, 2 at the fire station where I work, and one shaving stick in a Dopp kit I keep in my truck. Wife has 4 soaps.

It's about variety, but I'm also at that stage in the hobby where it's about FREEDOM. Before I discovered this community, I had suffered over 20 years of shaving out of the same can of foam using crappy and expensive razors that shred the heck out of my neck.

So no doubt I'm a little crazy about experiencing different soaps and aftershaves!! It's like I've been released from prison.

Each soap gives me a different pleasure. Some I bought out of curiosity, some because they were dirt cheap. I've given away quite a few soaps to friends for them to try.

I can live with one razor. I can live with one brush. But I cannot use only one soap every day forever. If that were the case, I might was well go back to that boring can of foam.

I have 6 soaps that I either purchased or traded for. Price is very important to me so I guess that's why I have so few soaps when compared to others AND why my soaps have cost $5 or less (mostly less - Proraso purchased in Italy leading the bunch).

So I don't have an addiction. I just appreciate a really good shave and based on my experience it starts with really good prep (a nice hot shower is all I need) followed by a good soap (they're all good for the most part) applied with a boar brush. I get a BBS face every single time.

I rotate the soaps based on the time of year. Citrus scented based soaps in the spring through summer and others in the fall through winter.

There may be a motivation for some to try the newest, latest soap. I don't buy into it. Maybe I will probably purchase another soap a year from now. But maybe I won't. As I always say: It's shave soap. More or less they are all good and perform well. I can honestly say that all the soaps I've ever used have performed well and have given me a BBS face. So for me, it' hard to understand paying alot of money for soap. But who am I to judge? You only live once. Knock yourself out and have fun if that's what floats your boat.

So for me, it' hard to understand paying alot of money for soap.
I've come to the realization that upfront cost can be quite deceiving. For example, a $10 soap that lasts for one month is "more expensive" than a $25 soap that lasts over 3 months. So I try to do some research and get an idea of how long a soap lasts before I buy it. Of course, buying really cheap stuff means that even lasting for only one month gives a price per shave that is really low. Triple or even quad-milled soaps simply can't compete with bargains like Arko in bulk--unless, like me, your skin needs higher quality ingredients. On a related note, I am playing around with adding a few of those to Arko, in the hopes that I can get it to perform the way I need it to, but only raise the cost of an entire stick by maybe $0.20.

Sorry, went off on an unrelated tangent. I'm relatively new to trying out all the offerings, so I'm at about 14 different soaps available to me. I'm fairly young compared to most of the members here, so I figure I'm "investing" in my future by trying a variety and figuring out what I like--and can consistently afford. I suspect that five years from now I'll only have soaps from ~5 companies, and at that point I'd keep only one or two soaps from each company at a time. Unless it's something significantly cheaper in bulk (such as Arko and Haslinger), which I'd buy in bulk and wait until I'm on the last one to re-purchase. Which would probably take another five years! :thumbup:

Five years ago, I originally purchased an excessive amount of my favourite aritisanal soap fearing the artisan might stop making them. Subsequently, over the next few years, my curiosity led me to try the newer artisans offerings.
As a result, I have an over-abundance of soaps that I plan on using up in my lifetime, but sharing them with my 17-year-old son and by using a very, very liberal amount of soap for both my daily face and head shaves. :)

Top Bottom