What's new

Graham Field month

Shave #26. Man, I know it must seem like I'm feeding you guys a story, but I swear it's true. Best shave yet (do I sound like a broken record?) Maybe it had something to do with my software today. Used a more expensive product, but I felt that after the first pass, that I almost didn't need a second pass. After the second pass, I had achieved a nice BBS shave with no touchups needed. The result from this shave was better than my average shave from any other blade. I'm in awe myself!

Shave #26. Man, I know it must seem like I'm feeding you guys a story, but I swear it's true. Best shave yet (do I sound like a broken record?) Maybe it had something to do with my software today. Used a more expensive product, but I felt that after the first pass, that I almost didn't need a second pass. After the second pass, I had achieved a nice BBS shave with no touchups needed. The result from this shave was better than my average shave from any other blade. I'm in awe myself!
I'm going to send the rest of the Graham-field blades that I have so you can sharpen them with your face! [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Well, I finally got a chance to test the blade that [MENTION=88133]burg1198[/MENTION] sent me.

I'll start this off by saying that I've had a LONG week at work, 64 hours so far and still have 12 more tomorrow.

With having to work 12 hours shifts the last three days, my shave time has suffered, so tonight when I got home I decided to take some me time with a long shower and a great shave.

I filled my sink with hot water and blossomed my Stirling Sandalwood with distilled water.

Took a long shower with Queen Charlotte Crackling Firewood Soap, (great scent)

Mixed up a wonderful bowl of rich lather and applied some Smolder pre shave oil, loaded my 62 slim adjustable with the Graham Field Blade and turned down the adjustment a bit, figuring that 3 days without a shave would require a little less aggression.

Lather up and put the razor to my face.

I can honestly say I could have gotten a better result with duct tape and super glue as a pre shave oil.

I believe that after the first stroke there may have been more hair on my face as I think the blade only pulled some hair partway out and did no cutting at all.

Finished the first pass and my dog was giving me funny looks as she's never heard me whimper while shaving before.

Applied a hot towel and lathered up for a second pass, thinking that the worst should be over.

Should not have tried thinking!

2nd pass was more of the first, I swear I now had a full blown beard as this torture device was still only pulling hair out and not cutting.

More hot towel, more lather.

Finally ATG I got minimal results, at this rate I should be ok after about 32 passes,

Hot towel and re lather one more time,

Drag this pseudo cheese grater across my face again hoping to at least get the shaving soap off, it didn't even do a good job cutting wet soap.

A cold rinse and some after shave balm and I can now say that I am a SURVIVOR.

In all fairness, I will give it another try, but only the day after a good BBS shave.

Great review, thanks for posting.

Three days growth, that had to be brutal. The time I tried with 2 days it felt like the razor was Velcroed to my face.

Welcome to the club!:thumbup1:

I keep seeing such derision for Graham Field blades here, but I contend it may be more perception than reality.
Graham Field is a medical supplier. They sell their house brands like any other medical supplier or retailer. Those house brands include DE blades that are made in USA. There is only one factory left that makes such blades, and that is Accutek/Personna/ASR in Verona, VA. Corroborating all that is the presence of tell-tale long-headed arrows on the blades, which indicate that same factory.
So, to denigrate those blades would be to denigrate all Personna USA private label blades, since they are all from the same source, and possibly the Accutek/Personna/ASR med preps and lab blues. It would not be outside the realm of possibility, but would be very unlikely, that the production lines are stopped, re-tooled, and cheaped-down for a run of deliberately inferior blades to be sold under one private label name.

I keep seeing such derision for Graham Field blades here, but I contend it may be more perception than reality.
Graham Field is a medical supplier. They sell their house brands like any other medical supplier or retailer. Those house brands include DE blades that are made in USA. There is only one factory left that makes such blades, and that is Accutek/Personna/ASR in Verona, VA. Corroborating all that is the presence of tell-tale long-headed arrows on the blades, which indicate that same factory.
So, to denigrate those blades would be to denigrate all Personna USA private label blades, since they are all from the same source, and possibly the Accutek/Personna/ASR med preps and lab blues. It would not be outside the realm of possibility, but would be very unlikely, that the production lines are stopped, re-tooled, and cheaped-down for a run of deliberately inferior blades to be sold under one private label name.
Graham-field blades are horrible blades. I have never tried personna blades to compare.

You can have the Graham-field blades that I have left and you can see for yourself how horrible they are!

So, to denigrate those blades would be to denigrate all Personna USA private label blades, since they are all from the same source

I absolutely disagree with this.

I will concur that since these are made in the US, there is only one logical place they could be made. However just because they are made in the same location, does not mean they are the same blade. There are different lines and runs, and things are changed for different customers needs.

I am a die hard Personna blade user. The brand has been my go-to for 6 years. I can tell you, undeniably, that these GF blades are not the same blade as the Personnas.

They might be the same steel, made in the same way, I could see this based on the longevity I'm getting. But these blades were not honed or finished the same way that Personnas are. Something about them is very different.

Having said all that, today was shave #30 with my GF. I'm not willing to call this a full month until shave 31. Being that it's Father's Day, I finished up today with Hai Karate. I'll do something special for shave 31.

proxy.php

... today was shave #30 with my GF. I'm not willing to call this a full month until shave 31. Being that it's Father's Day, I finished up today with Hai Karate. I'll do something special for shave 31.
Sheesh KJ, that's incredible! :w00t:

Once you've done (the, to most of us, impossible) G-F Shave 31... please let us know all the gruesome (or otherwise) details. :thumbup1:

Well, I "won" one of these in the Do Not Enter this PIF, like many others... Wow... I whipped up some MW soap, and threw it in my Futur for yesterday's shave... I did the left side of my face, and had to switch it out. So much tugging and pulling! Although, I will say it cut one thing really well... MY FINGER PULLING IT OUT OF THE PAPER! I should have taken that as a sign I suppose.

:thumbup:

I completely agree with you that on paper it should be the same blade. There are a lot of similarities right down to the plane paper wrapper. But I'm quite sure I (or anyone for that matter) would be able to pick it out of a blind test 10 out of 10 times. Once the blades have a dozen or so shaves it may be harder to tell the difference. I really think you need to have at least one sent to you and try it for yourself.

Well, I "won" one of these in the Do Not Enter this PIF, like many others... Wow... I whipped up some MW soap, and threw it in my Futur for yesterday's shave... I did the left side of my face, and had to switch it out. So much tugging and pulling! Although, I will say it cut one thing really well... MY FINGER PULLING IT OUT OF THE PAPER! I should have taken that as a sign I suppose.

Welcome to the club!:thumbup1:

So they can cut!

I cannot believe this. I had my 31st shave today and had intended on sharing my shave with you all on video. Well, my camera shut off 20 seconds into recording and I didn't know. So I lost it all. I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow with #32.

So...Troy Was kind enough to send me one of these and I tried it tonight. All I can say is wow! I truly believe that a few cheap, china pocket knives I've owned that wouldn't cut hot butter would shave better. I can't comprehend how anyone can shave with these. I made it through one pass on a 24 hour beard and after I washed off,I almost couldn't tell I had even started. 90% of the stubble that I started with was still there. This was with my proven '58 superspeed that I can get a dfs with any other blade I have tried with my eyes closed and my go-to vdg soap. I tried every angle I could on that one pass and it went from trying to pull my face off, to skipping and bouncing all over the place. I have much respect for anyone that can get an even passable shave with one of these in under 8 passes. Troy, thanks for the pif as I now know what blade to compare everything to!

I'm sad that some many people are one and done with this blade. I understand why, but they don't get to experience how good this blade actually is.

Top Bottom