What's new

Why even bother with soasp? (srs)

I use only creams, they are very easy, and you can get almost at 100% a good lather (any with almost any cream, a cheap 6$ one will do it, and sure that even a 40$+ like the castle f will do it too)

So, should I try soap? why even bother? what are the advantages? if at all?

And if you had to choose a soap for a newbie like me in soap, what will it be? something that make outstanding lather? (I just ordered the Tabac, lets see how that is going on)

You are right. Cremes are easy. Any knucklehead can lather a creme. Soaps are finicky, fickle, frustrating - and rewarding.

That is why I only use soaps.

Soaps tend to be cheaper per use and if you want to try some good artisan offerings it's hard to find artisan creams but soaps are plentiful.

For a good starter soap you can try a croap like one of the many RazoRock offerings or Cella as they are generally easier to load.

The only issue most people have with soaps is getting a proper load, which is why creams are more newbie friendly in general.

Soaps don't need you, you need soaps.

I prefer harder soaps because I can get a slicker lather without it turning too "wet" and thus taking away the protection the lather offers. Creams just don't do it. That's just me though.

Other than canned goo, back in my ignorant youth, I have never used a cream...only soaps. Williams for decades, now I have a small collection of quality real soaps.

Just because...that's the way it's meant to be...for the same reason I only use badger brushes. :001_smile Soap and badger...'nuff said.

I tend to use creams for bowl lathering, in winter and spring, a luxurious warm lather makes a nice morale booster, or in summer when I shave and mix lather in lukewarm water, and in the sweaty heat of the July/August heatwave when I shave and mix lather in cold water, lukewarm and cold lathers are very refreshing and invigorating

Soft soaps like Proraso Red, White and Green soap bowls are an either/or for me, if I'm pressed for time I'll face lather, and if I'm having a leisurely shave in winter/spring I'll bowl lather.

I'm also old fashioned enough to enjoy face lathering,using a bit of elbow grease to make a "Santa Beard" face lather with a good quality, hard soap puck like Arko, De Vergulde Hand or a Godrej Shaving Round is particularly satisfying, especially in winter when the elbow grease is a good way to keep warm.
I know a lot of people use soap pucks to load their brushes before mixing a lather in a separate bowl, but IMHO a face lather works the soap well into the stubble and exfoliates the skin much better - YMMV

I'm also experimenting with superlathers to use up some tubes of Bond Original, Old Spice Original, Musk & Fresh Lime creams which smell bland and insipid, and some tubes of Lider Original, Goldex and Estoril Sport Line creams which smell too overpowering and chemically. I'll be trying different combos with a few swirls of an Unbranded Chinese soap puck and posting results on the Franken-Scent Friday thread.
I digress slightly, but if you find that any of your shaving creams are either underperforming or overpowering, a few swirls of soap on your brush before bowl lathering will add an extra bit of oomph to you lather, tone down the scent and create a very slick, creamy superlather will plenty of extra cushion.

My favourite way to face lather with soap if I'm either pressed for time, or travelling has to be the shaving stick - a splash of water on my face, a quick dip of the shaving stick into warm water, a few quick rubs over my face using the stick like a giant crayon, then a few swirls with a wet (but not dripping) brush and as they say : Bob's your Uncle !!
There is also little or no wastage, so a stick will last for a very long time, if the lather is a bit thin, a few quick rubs of the stick will always remedy it, if it's too stiff, a quick dip in the sink with the brush will froth it up.

I too have only just bought my 1st Tabac Original Shaving Stick, the 100g size will last for a very long time, the plastic container looks very stylish and feels very durable, the screw top lid is very user friendly. Just a few rubs on my face made a nice slick, creamy, cushiony "Santa Beard" lather with hardly any effort or elbow grease. It's got a pleasant bittersweet, slightly spicy, "soapy" scent, which if used for an evening shave, ready to go out on the town, followed by a splash of Tabac Original aftershave, should make anybody feel like a million dollars.
If you ordered the Shaving Stick, IMHO you won't be disappointed. If on the other hand you ordered the bowl soap version, judging by my experience with the shaving stick - IMHO, you can't go far wrong.

Other choices for you to consider...
Pucks - Arko(Turkey), De Vergulde Hand(Holland), Godrej Shaving Rounds(India)
Sticks - Arko or Derby(Turkey), Bea, Lea or La Toja(Spain), Palmolive(Germany)
Soft Soaps aka Croaps - Proraso Red, White or Green

YMMV

+1 Tabac is a good start.. I find creams to be easy to use and slick, soaps to provide better cushion and post shave feel..

There's all the above plus with soaps I am pretty sure there is much more variety scent wise. Also the tradition of going old school with the shave is something I like.

I think I get a better lather using soaps, creams are definitely quicker to lather and there are some really great ones out there. I used a cream this morning and had a great shave. Soaps also last a whole lot longer

So, should I try soap? why even bother? what are the advantages? if at all?

1. Better cushion/protection against nicks
2. Better lather quality
3. Cheaper per use
4. More small, family owned, soap makers (artisans)
5. More variety

Of course, YMMV, and I am sure others could add to this list of advantages of soap over cream.

A greater variety of scents and I just find them better than creams. However, YMMV, and if you are enjoying your creams, don't bother with soaps as long as you are getting great shaves.

1. Better cushion/protection against nicks
2. Better lather quality
3. Cheaper per use
4. More small, family owned, soap makers (artisans)
5. More variety

Of course, YMMV, and I am sure others could add to this list of advantages of soap over cream.

Agree. I also enjoy building a lather with a good brush.

Creams are definitely easier to lather, but for me, I get a better quality lather from soaps. I never quite get the consistency I'm looking for from creams.

Plus, soaps last longer than creams, so they end up being cheaper in the long run.

off subject but wife and I are watching new show "The Night Manager" and it features Mallorca throughout. The villain lives in a gorgeous villa. what a beautiful place you live in.

Top Bottom