What's new

I think Gillette is on to us

So? They're were making Techs with plastic handles for India and SE Asia like for ages. Even now.

Have you used one of those Tech knock offs? Most of them are more aggressive and often not well made. Not that some of them aren't a decent quality, especially for the price, but I would go for a quality made razor over one of them any day.

Have you used one of those Tech knock offs? Most of them are more aggressive and often not well made. Not that some of them aren't a decent quality, especially for the price, but I would go for a quality made razor over one of them any day.
No, can't say I have. I wanted to, especially considering they can be had on eBay for about from three to five bucks, but from what I've seen I'll have more chances for a good shave with some Chinese rasors.

I'm wondering how their ad campaign would run?
after decades of trying to convince the world that
"more blades means a better, smoother, faster shave"
well, what do they say now when they go back to a one-blade razor,
and a non-disposable one at that?

There is nothing like a marketing spin to keep you firmly in two minds at one time like The Ministry of Truth. There is much value in resurrecting old products since markets have memory and it's obvious that a large percentage of the wet shaving community really likes the vintage Gillette hardware. I can see this being a very limited and targeted marketing campaign that most in the general public probably won't even notice. On a side note, I've seen one company that sells subscriptions for DE razors as an alternative for those who are prone to razor rash and bumps. This might be an angle for Gillette but we'll have to see what it looks like if and when it comes out.

No, can't say I have. I wanted to, especially considering they can be had on eBay for about from three to five bucks, but from what I've seen I'll have more chances for a good shave with some Chinese rasors.

I would only consider the Rei Mei (spelling). My brother got one of those and it was a serviceable razor, more aggressive but not bad, but it broke after a few months. He then got a Lord branded, Tech knock off and it seems to be a better razor in terms of both shave and durability.

There is nothing like a marketing spin to keep you firmly in two minds at one time like The Ministry of Truth. There is much value in resurrecting old products since markets have memory and it's obvious that a large percentage of the wet shaving community really likes the vintage Gillette hardware. I can see this being a very limited and targeted marketing campaign that most in the general public probably won't even notice. On a side note, I've seen one company that sells subscriptions for DE razors as an alternative for those who are prone to razor rash and bumps. This might be an angle for Gillette but we'll have to see what it looks like if and when it comes out.

OMG, No ... if there's one thing the wet-shaving world doesn't need right now is another subscription plan.
I mean, its a viable business model, and might just make P&G some profit(s), but puh-leez count me out.

I still haven't heard a price-point on this repro-Tech ... anybody care to venture a guess?

I would only consider the Rei Mei (spelling). My brother got one of those and it was a serviceable razor, more aggressive but not bad, but it broke after a few months. He then got a Lord branded, Tech knock off and it seems to be a better razor in terms of both shave and durability.
Yes, Egypt-made Lord razors are pretty decent for what they cost. Your brother got one with the metal handle, right?

As for Chinese Tech knock-offs razors with plastic handles, the most decent is the one which sells under Rapira brand for the Russian market. I think it still made in China, but with better quality control than most of them.

Best cheap razor which made itself into my rotation is the Luch-02, made in Ukraine in 1991 (you can still call it late-Soviet). But it better then those "Techs" which are made today for India. Yes, it have somewhat crude finish and plastic handle, but head is cast from aluminium alloy called silumin, not stamped, and tolerances are pretty tight - the first time I changed blades I had to pry apart baseplate from top cap with a little bit of a force.

Got it for a 2 bucks on the local flea market also. Generally they can be bought for about 8 dollars.

I don't know if their all bad, but I have a 'new' Tech, the Gillette Rubie. Terrific little razor! For what it's worth, even the Lord tech is amazing!

Actually in 1920, the last full year of their patent protection, they only made about $600,000. After they stopped the high priced razor model their profits exploded to $18 million by 1925. This change was forced on them by their competitors and they would not have survived without it.
In 1920 The high priced razor model wasn't stopped. Gillette introduced the expired patent razor for a dollar and that sold for record sales.
1911 and 1915 had record sales, Willam Nickerson refined the blade honing machine (elinmating hand stroppers workers) and blades went even higher in sales.
Gillette then came out with the variant of its main razor called the Bulldog. Then they covered the women market and made the Millady Decollete.
All these razor were sold high at 5 dollars ....in 1916 razor sales were 782,082 units.
1917 broke the million mark on razor sold. Blades 10 million sold
1918 Gillette secures a contract with the USA war department for half million razors[ Khaki sets] at a high price of 5 dollars a razor.

This high priced razor strategy was still being touted as Frank Fahey summoned his corporate staff to prepare for the 1920 patent expiration. They discussed 3 options.
1 - was to make a razor that sold for usual 5 dollars price point.
2 - reduce manufacturing
3 - was to come up with a cheap razor to compete with the imitators as the old patent expired

After 74 meetings they came up with the high priced razor New Improved that in 1921 broke sales record at 4.2 million razors sold.

Gillette even out sold the low end razor selling giant American safety razor corporation [ makerof GEM, Ever ready, Star ] with the old expired patent razors. 3 million.

Gillette had it stated in his patents that the razors could not be lowered in price by any seller, or they would be in patent infringement.

In retrospect, without the high priced razor strategy Gillette would not have been able to get in a wealthy financial situation and buy out the blade making competition throug out the years. Which put them in a position to dominate both the razors and blades market.

OMG, No ... if there's one thing the wet-shaving world doesn't need right now is another subscription plan.
I mean, its a viable business model, and might just make P&G some profit(s), but puh-leez count me out.

I still haven't heard a price-point on this repro-Tech ... anybody care to venture a guess?
Guess you missed it..post 198

So far I got this. ...

Seems that it should have been launched last November , but due to logistic problems , it will be launched in 2016 (by the first quarter).

The first 5.000 units will be numbered and have a price around 75 dollars.The rest of the units will have a price of 55 dollars.
They will be only chromed plated. .by the end of 2016 might be launching them in the rest of Europe.

I'm not into the subscription plan either but it works for some but I'm not sure if P&G offers that on any of it's business lines. I would think $50-$75 for the price point to compete with the Merkurs it sells.

I would pay $75 for a numbered Limited Edition,
especially if it had a presentation case.

Even $50 for a standard production model is reasonable,
assuming that it will be historically accurate and of high-quality materials.

Even at fifty bucks, I don't know? I mean I do want to get one when and if it does come out, but at fifty bucks it's at the equivalent of six of my razors now. But, it is Gillette right? If they screw with the blade thing, like use purpose built blades, I'm certainly out.

Even at fifty bucks, I don't know? I mean I do want to get one when and if it does come out, but at fifty bucks it's at the equivalent of six of my razors now. But, it is Gillette right? If they screw with the blade thing, like use purpose built blades, I'm certainly out.

If it's $50 in the US at AOS then in Canada it will be closer to $100 by the time you get it shipped.

My hope is that the production of the new razor will lower the demand for (and price of) vintage razors. "Why buy old when you can buy new?" :001_rolle

If it is released through AoS, it will be pricey.
If it is well made and preferably made in the US, or Europe, it may itself become a collector's item. They will sell tens of thousands of them just for the novelty. (but not if a cheap Asian knock-off).
Were I advising, I'd actually suggest that they not even make a copy of a vintage razor. Come up with a novel design to make it valued in its own right. (Especially if in the $75 > $100 or... dare I say it? $200 range).

No it will not affect the vintage market. When I look at the investments that some make in what is basically an old stained rusted razor, (the Adventures of Rust Boy quickly come to mind), I see a totally different kind of desire that fuels that activity. It is the same love that goes into rescuing a gas guzzling '57 Chevy from the scrap heap. There is a desire to shave AS in days of old, not just LIKE days of old.

If they are attempting a release, it should be something novel, and something elegant. It should be made of stainless or at least plated brass and stand on its own as a collectable. They will charge too much for a mere curiosity.

If it is released through AoS, it will be pricey.
If it is well made and preferably made in the US, or Europe, it may itself become a collector's item. They will sell tens of thousands of them just for the novelty. (but not if a cheap Asian knock-off).
Were I advising, I'd actually suggest that they not even make a copy of a vintage razor. Come up with a novel design to make it valued in its own right. (Especially if in the $75 > $100 or... dare I say it? $200 range).

No it will not affect the vintage market. When I look at the investments that some make in what is basically an old stained rusted razor, (the Adventures of Rust Boy quickly come to mind), I see a totally different kind of desire that fuels that activity. It is the same love that goes into rescuing a gas guzzling '57 Chevy from the scrap heap. There is a desire to shave AS in days of old, not just LIKE days of old.

If they are attempting a release, it should be something novel, and something elegant. It should be made of stainless or at least plated brass and stand on its own as a collectable. They will charge too much for a mere curiosity.
I think it will be made in India. ..

Top Bottom