What's new

I think Gillette is on to us

I suspect that the Fatboy reports have come about due to Art of Shaving sales clerks' ignorance of Gillette history. They probably have heard the terms fatboy and fat handled a couple of times and assume that fatboy is an old nickname for the fat handled Tech and not an entirely different shaver. We'll see.

I'm wondering how their ad campaign would run?
after decades of trying to convince the world that
"more blades means a better, smoother, faster shave"
well, what do they say now when they go back to a one-blade razor,
and a non-disposable one at that?

My suspicion is that it will be marketed much like the rest of the AOS stuff. After all, none of that is in Wally World competing. So it will be a luxury item. And you can almost bet blades will be billed as single use in their literature.

I think they'll position it as expensive. Whereas the NEW I have was free from another member. As was my blue tip. And I'm delighted with a couple of different inexpensive blades that I often use more shaves than most. (I'm also old and have a thinning beard. But I have a face like leather!)

Hi dk-109,

Might you know if the design will be a two piece, or a three piece, razor?

Best,
John

Earlier in the thread, a couple folks mentioned that a Fatboy could be coming.

Great information and analysis, guys! Thanks for posting it all!
Post 28

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/485567-I-think-Gillette-is-on-to-us/page2

icon1.png

Hello all, I just got a return call from AOS here in Omaha, and they verified that Gillette is re releasing the Tech. Also other models are in the pipeline. Can you say Fatboy? Sure, I knew you could! He did specifically mention the Fatboy. But first the Tech.​

Alan. Member BOTOC. Do what you can do, while you can do it.

I was in an AoS store a couple of months ago. They had an unbranded 3-piece DE razor that appeared to be a Muhle R89 with a lined handle. The handle did not look like an EJ DE89L handle. The lines on this handle were spaced farther apart than an EJ DE89L and the lines went all the way to the neck as in an R89 handle -- there was no brand-ring below the neck as in an EJ DE89 handle.

So far I got this. ...

Seems that it should have been launched last November , but due to logistic problems , it will be launched in 2016 (by the first quarter).

The first 5.000 units will be numbered and have a price around 75 dollars.The rest of the units will have a price of 55 dollars.
They will be only chromed plated. .by the end of 2016 might be launching them in the rest of Europe.

So far I got this. ...

Seems that it should have been launched last November , but due to logistic problems , it will be launched in 2016 (by the first quarter).

The first 5.000 units will be numbered and have a price around 75 dollars.The rest of the units will have a price of 55 dollars.
They will be only chromed plated. .by the end of 2016 might be launching them in the rest of Europe.

Alex, where did this info come from?

You can buy Gillette DE blades at Walgreens. I just bought a pack today.

I actually really like these blades. Pricey compared to buying online but still relatively cheap. I find them to last a week, which is more than most for me. And I like being able to buy them in town. With all the more expensive shave related things many of us buy, it seems unreasonable to boycott these based on price. Just my 2 cents.

Makes sense - after all, this is design of Tech which was in production longest time. With a few alterations, but still..

That's probably correct, then. And IMHO it was the pre-WW2 Techs that were the best.
I think the fat-handle version is a good entry point for re-introduction.
I wonder if there will be other handles offered?
Olive-wood / Burnished aluminum / rubber-ized grip / Bakelite /etc.

There probably will, perhaps that is where Gillette is planning to make some money,
maybe its the thread design that will be proprietary.

Oh, what the heck ... where do I send my money?

Last edited:
Top Bottom