What's new

Parker 87R

I think mine has left the store and is in transit. Should bean interesting shave. I have one other razor from Parker - a 97R hefty. That thing is pretty aggressive (I would use the word efficient except it has a mean streak a mile wide:laugh:). I expect the 87R might be more even tempered.

I cannot see what you posted. How's does the finish on the razor look and does the handle give a good grip when hands are wet and soapy?

Hello,

The plating appears very bright compared to other razors I have of modern manufacture, and in comparison to vintage Gillette's. There were no flaws in the plating I could see.

I've only used it once so I don't want to render any definitive judgments on its handling characteristics but during yesterday's shave I had no difficulties with it and nothing that jumped out as an "uh oh" in its design or construction. I would expect it should give good service over time.

OK so mine came in the mail this morning. Loaded it with a GSB and lathered a perfect lather with Tabac. I have to say this thing is way too mild for me. I had a little trouble finding and holding the angle as well for some reason. I'm one of these people that needs to feel the blade a little to get the best shave.

In the end I gave up and grabbed my fatboy to finish up. Impatient I guess. Not a real happy shave.

I'll come back to the 87R when I've had a chance to stop hating on it and rethink my 'mild shaver strategy' but for now it's sitting in the razor 'sin bin' with my '58 Red Tip :laugh:

I would say if you enjoy a very mild shave, this might work well for you. For mine though, I found it a bit vague.

On a more upbeat note though, My Blackbird Razor arrived in the same delivery ....mmmmaybe tomorrow I'll load him up for a test scrape if my face is happy again by then.

Last edited:
Well, after a long time away from B&B, I started lurking again a couple months ago. I felt secure that RAD wouldn't take hold. Wrong.
I now have an 87R on the way, along with an EJ Kelvin.

My mini review, just one shave in:

I bought the 87R and it came in time for this mornings shave. The razor itself looks very bright but it has that "cheapness" to it that I can't really put into words. I don't mean that it is a piece of junk but compared to a superspeed it just feels less substantial. I will also note that mine came in and it seems the butterfly doors are not quite even, but what appears to be uneven is the underlying mechanism underneath the doors. I saw this and thought about returning it but I wanted to use it and see if I could feel if there was a difference. If it makes the razor more aggressive on one side then it is a problem. I did not notice this with the shave. I will live with it for now. Caveat emptor and all that. Parker has had the past reputation of QC problems so maybe it has not improved that much or maybe I got one that slipped by goalie. I should post a picture. If you all want to see let me know.

But what about the shave? I used palmolive cream (rubbed in by hand) and the palmolive shave stick (grated into puck format) with a brush for an uber lather. (For some reason I have been on an uber lather kick lately as it seems to help with protection during the winter months). I also used a Wilkinson blade and a Rooney 2/1 brush.

I think the razor is quite mild (more mild than a muhle R89 IMO). Lately I have been switching between a Futur on 4 and the R41 so I did not realize how out of step I was WRT a mild razor. The shave was ok, needed more touch ups than with the R41 (no surprise). Overall shave was ok, not as close as R41 or the Futur, no significant irritation that I can see. I would be the only person that would notice such fine details. Definitely closer than using a foil electric razor.

I think this is a perfect razor to those that are starting out or want a mild razor. I don't know about long term durability but for $30, if I get 3-5 yrs out of it, great.

My mini review, just one shave in:

I bought the 87R and it came in time for this mornings shave. The razor itself looks very bright but it has that "cheapness" to it that I can't really put into words. I don't mean that it is a piece of junk but compared to a superspeed it just feels less substantial. I will also note that mine came in and it seems the butterfly doors are not quite even, but what appears to be uneven is the underlying mechanism underneath the doors. I saw this and thought about returning it but I wanted to use it and see if I could feel if there was a difference. If it makes the razor more aggressive on one side then it is a problem. I did not notice this with the shave. I will live with it for now. Caveat emptor and all that. Parker has had the past reputation of QC problems so maybe it has not improved that much or maybe I got one that slipped by goalie. I should post a picture. If you all want to see let me know.

But what about the shave? I used palmolive cream (rubbed in by hand) and the palmolive shave stick (grated into puck format) with a brush for an uber lather. (For some reason I have been on an uber lather kick lately as it seems to help with protection during the winter months). I also used a Wilkinson blade and a Rooney 2/1 brush.

I think the razor is quite mild (more mild than a muhle R89 IMO). Lately I have been switching between a Futur on 4 and the R41 so I did not realize how out of step I was WRT a mild razor. The shave was ok, needed more touch ups than with the R41 (no surprise). Overall shave was ok, not as close as R41 or the Futur, no significant irritation that I can see. I would be the only person that would notice such fine details. Definitely closer than using a foil electric razor.

I think this is a perfect razor to those that are starting out or want a mild razor. I don't know about long term durability but for $30, if I get 3-5 yrs out of it, great.

Your comment about the doors being uneven is what makes me hesitate to get this one.

Just used mine for the first time yesterday. No alignment problems. Nicer plating than I expected from Parker. I think it's really good looking. It is mild. I do like a little more aggressive razors. I'm a 4ish on a progress. I am a huge fan of the weight and handle length. It's got a place in the rotation.

Hello,

I have had about 5-6 shaves with this razor so far and here are some final thoughts until next rotation.

Fit and finish on mine is very good. I haven't seen any difference from side to side on blade gap. I inspected it under 5X magnifier.

Chrome finish is good but too silver or white colored. I think that gives it the "cheap look" under bright light. Look back a page where it is next to my Kazan and Fatboy (freshly plated from Razorplate). You can see the comparison between nickel and chrome coloring.

Shaving wise I find it medium aggressive maybe like my Progress at 3.0 or Slim at 5.0. The one thing about this razor is for me there was no learning curve. It just fit right away unlike some other razors which I have had to get used to.

I did X-ray the razor and compared it to a Parker 24C and Fatip Grande. I tested it at similar locations and will post results tomorrow (forgot them at work today).

Bottom line for the price point in my opinion you can't go wrong. I will definitely have a permanent spot in my rotation. YMMV.

Cheers
John

I will also note that mine came in and it seems the butterfly doors are not quite even, but what appears to be uneven is the underlying mechanism underneath the doors. I saw this and thought about returning it but I wanted to use it and see if I could feel if there was a difference. If it makes the razor more aggressive on one side then it is a problem. I did not notice this with the shave. I will live with it for now. Caveat emptor and all that. Parker has had the past reputation of QC problems so maybe it has not improved that much or maybe I got one that slipped by goalie. I should post a picture. If you all want to see let me know.

Here are some pics of the alignment problem:

$87r_pic1.jpg$87r_pic2.jpg$87r_pic3.jpg

So what do you think? This is with a blade in and cranked down. The alignment problem is noticeable w/o the blade too.

Would you return the razor or not? I have only used it once, in my possession for less than 4days.

I have the 96R (my second one as I gave my original away as a gift), 99R and the 29L

All great (and great looking) razors, same head, different handles, not one has any flaws that I can see, nor that could be an issue with the shaves.

My 96R has been my go-to for years, and I've yet to see any more wear than a bit of discoloration with the black paint on the handle.

My wife took my 99R (that was my "spare/in case") as her own, and the 29L is my daughter's (which she ordered herself).

Grip-wire, they are all good, but the 29L is really hard to beat.

Just happy to see a Parker getting some loving on here as they tend to be bad-mouthed.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the alignment problem:

View attachment 631887View attachment 631888View attachment 631889

So what do you think? This is with a blade in and cranked down. The alignment problem is noticeable w/o the blade too.

Would you return the razor or not? I have only used it once, in my possession for less than 4days.

That alignment isn't right see mine below. I would return it. If you bought it on Amazon/Super Safety Razors they will make it right at the speed of light.
I had a finish problem with a 92R I bought from them, sent me a new one right away. Howie was a pleasure to deal with.

The 87R is the 4th Parker razor I have bought from them. I really like the razors and seller.

Cheers
John

$image.jpg

As promised here are the x-ray results comparing the 87R to a 24C with Zamak head, brass handle and a Chrome plated Fatip (brass head, handle). Please understand x-ray only penetrates surface slightly.

Pay attention to the copper zinc %'s.
Copper shouldn't be in zamak alloy if I read specs right.
Zamak alloy should have very high zinc content 99%+.
Zinc should be in brass in the 15-30% range depending on alloy
Plating seemed a little thin on Fatip base, could explain zinc reading thru plating.

$image.jpg

I'm thinking the 87R is all brass. It does claim a "all brass frame".

Cheers
John

I might have another go with the 87R tomorrow ( I made sure I had a superb shave today using my ATT S2) I may have to play more with angles and see what I get this time. Last time out I found myself hunting angles too much.

Uggghhh! I was so excited to order and was looking forward to my first shave with it. Unfortunately, I received this........

$Parker 87R Side.jpg

$Parker 87R Slant.jpg

This could be one of Parker's TTO slant prototypes, but something tells me that this was not the case. Oh well, back to Amazon for a refund. I am a proud owner of the Parker 99R and 65R razors - Both are several years old and in near-perfect condition. I sure hope that this razor is not a sign of more widespread QA issues at Parker.

I am in process of returning mine through amazon. Chances are I will not be buying another parker anytime soon. I think next up is either a fatip or maybe an ikon short comb head.

Top Bottom