What's new

PIF Closed-BBQ cookbook PIF Closed

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Man, that looks good! Since you've tried his BBQ, it would be interesting to try making one of his recipes to see how similar they are to the restaurant versions.

When you go, make sure you go early enough to get toward the front of the line. From what I've seen, when they start getting low, they will take items off the menu for that day.

Also you're going to have to decide what part of the brisket you want ( I.E. lean, fatty etc. ) Personally my favorite cut of the entire brisket is the few he takes around the 10:15 and after mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
When you go, make sure you go early enough to get toward the front of the line. From what I've seen, when they start getting low, they will take items off the menu for that day.

Also you're going to have to decide what part of the brisket you want ( I.E. lean, fatty etc. ) Personally my favorite cut of the entire brisket is the few he takes around the 10:15 and after mark.

They go until they run out of meat. I was worried that the ribs would be gone when I got up there. I asked for and got both fatty and lean cuts on the brisket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hit the little arrows to take me to the first unread post and it skipped all of the posts when you went to Franklins. Doh!!

You did good, you did real good!! Never mind my post #104 LOL!!!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Actually, I'd like to see the winner of the cookbook do that.

If chance may have it, I'd love to be the man for that task. :001_smile

The only dilemma would be that it may take me a little while until I have any opportunity to head to Austin to actually try the food from his restaurant, though.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Again...Great Job Aaron! I hope who ever wins the PIF appreciates the effort that went in to it. It's not something that was just ordered off the internet and posted. It's something that was:

Picked up PERSONALLY by a REAL Texan.

On how to do REAL Texas BBQ.

From a REAL famous Texas BBQ joint.

On a scale of 1 to 5 on a one thumb up scale...you get:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I hit the little arrows to take me to the first unread post and it skipped all of the posts when you went to Franklins. Doh!!

You did good, you did real good!! Never mind my post #104 LOL!!!

No worries Christopher. Thanks for the kind words.

I'll second that.

Chris, thanks for hanging out with me today.

If chance may have it, I'd love to be the man for that task. :001_smile

The only dilemma would be that it may take me a little while until I have any opportunity to head to Austin to actually try the food from his restaurant, though.

If you come to Austin you can stay at my casa.

Again...Great Job Aaron! I hope who ever wins the PIF appreciates the effort that went in to it. It's not something that was just ordered off the internet and posted. It's something that was:

Picked up PERSONALLY by a REAL Texan.

On how to do REAL Texas BBQ.

From a REAL famous Texas BBQ joint.

On a scale of 1 to 5 on a one thumb up scale...you get:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mike, I guess I never thought of it that way. I was just in it for the BBQ...lol. Seriously, thank you for taking the time to post some very kind words. I just love you guys and want to see ya'll make some good comfort food for family and friends. What's better than BBQ?

That has got to be some awesome 'Q for it to live up to the hype, it looks fantastic. For you to give it a 10 is a ringing endorsement, hope to get the opportunity to try it someday. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the PIF and the great thread, Aaron. There's always something extra special when I read a thread that literally takes me on a trip. That BBQ food looks delicious. There's a couple of places in Detroit that do real BBQ that I haven't visited in some time. Now I've got a hankerin'...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That has got to be some awesome 'Q for it to live up to the hype, it looks fantastic. For you to give it a 10 is a ringing endorsement, hope to get the opportunity to try it someday. Thanks for sharing.

I just couldn't find anything negative about the whole experience or the quality and taste of the food. I didn't try the pies though.

Thanks for the PIF and the great thread, Aaron. There's always something extra special when I read a thread that literally takes me on a trip. That BBQ food looks delicious. There's a couple of places in Detroit that do real BBQ that I haven't visited in some time. Now I've got a hankerin'...

Your welcome and no problem. I tried to make it a little trip away from your everyday life. Something you could see across an ocean or a border. I hope you will return the favor. It seems, for you, a trip to Detroit is in order.

While its on the topic might I just recommend something? Franklins BBQ is great, but I'd rather drive 30 minutes to Lockhart and get the greatest BBQ on the planet (Kreuz, Smittys, Blacks to name a couple) than wait in line for hours for Franklins. I used to eat there when it was just a trailer and no lines. Great guy and amazing bbq. For Austinites I'd also recommend Mueller BBQ on 6th & Pedernales and Michelthwait on rosewood. Amazing stuff. We are blessed to have all these great guys right here in town.

Thanks for posting pictures of your trip! I live vicariously through you and all my friends in Texas when it comes to BBQ.

Top Bottom