What's new

Has a 3 day growth become fashionable? mini rant

I would NEVER hire someone because of their resume.
The resume only gets them through the door for the interview.
How they carry themselves, speak, look, listen and react to questions asked is what decides if they get an offer.
And looks are a big part of it.
I know that they know that they want a job. I know that they have had time to prepare for the interview, which should include even a rudimentary check of what type of company they are applying for.
They SHOULD know that we aren't a Silicon Valley think tank with bean bag chairs and chaise lounges instead of an engineering firm with desks and drafting tables.
If they are as ill prepared for the interview as to show up looking scruffy, or dressed inappropriately, or stumbling and fumbling in their answers and demeanor, then there are plenty of other fish in the ocean.
Vary good insight.

Oh alright I'll join in with a rant as well. The unshaven look doesn't bother me. I don't shave every day myself. This grips my goat though...

There's a couple walking down the street on a Saturday night. She's looking pretty good. Nice clothes, hair done and tasteful makeup etc. She looks great and has taken time to look great.

The dude's got the designer stubble, jacket with that ''dragged behind a Jeep over rocky ground for 10 miles'' look. It cost a fortune and looked that way from new. He's wearing those ''Blasted with a shotgun'' jeans, and designer scruffy shoes which aint cheap to buy, and sports a designer scruffy T shirt costing maybe 150 Bucks.

Basicaly he's spent a lot of money just to look like a tramp. OK he's a designer tramp and he's maybe spent more on his presentation than his date but he still looks like a tramp. I remember when tramps had no money.

S'a funny old world indeed.
Excellent point.....

As for the interview thing, don't think I have ever gone to any interview with anything like stubble on my face.
just not the done thing y'know?
Even back in the days of dating (been together with my other half now for nearly 20 years now), would never think about going on a date looking like I'd just not bothered and covered in stubble... Think it creates a poor impression, IMO.
I get that styles come and go, but in certain context there's kind of social expectations...
For example, would you ever think it's okay for a potential suitor for your daughter to turn up wearing finely made clothes, polished shoes and well groomed hair... Only to have a rough stubbly visage? The phrase falling at the last hurdle would spring to mind...

I concur. Some of the the responses in this thread are so absurd in how absolutist they are about what it means to be "properly groomed" that they feel like satire, as if they were pulled directly from the Onion.

Absolutely agree. How anyone can make an absolute statement after reading the graph Phil posted is beyond me, but it's hilarious to watch people crash and burn trying.

Absolutely agree. How anyone can make an absolute statement after reading the graph Phil posted is beyond me, but it's hilarious to watch people crash and burn trying.

That was just a small example to prove the point to proper image and representation to a job interview. There were many other information and opinions that supports this issue that Phil had been adding. Just don't focus on a small bit that don't seem proper to you.

Women may notice stubble these days, but I've discovered that women at work tend to notice my aftershaves. Old Spice has been positively identified by them, with approval.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Take it as you will, each man must do as he sees fit, and as he believes in his heart.
But if you're in the market for a professional position and show up to your interview with that scruff and never hear back from them, don't say I didn't try to warn you! :w00t:

Whether you like it or not, whether you think it's fair or unfair, whether you believe it is discrimination or good business, it's a fact that people will just have to deal with in many cases.

Last edited:
1) I don't terribly mind the three-day growth look, but I greatly prefer the one- to two-day growth look. My best friend has a big, curly, red beard and moustache, and I only shave every two to three days.

2) It is not unreasonable to expect someone to conform to a conservative dress and grooming standard when applying for a white-collar professional position. My friend with the beard used to work in the oil fracking industry, and currently drives a propane truck. I have no doubt in my mind that he would shave and don a suit if he were applying for a sales position.

3) Prejudices are a necessary part of social interaction. Without the propensity to form quick opinions about people based on cultural cues, how in the world do we interact? We can have conversations about which prejudices are worthwhile, but it would be foolish to try and eliminate them all from society.

That was just a small example to prove the point to proper image and representation to a job interview. There were many other information and opinions that supports this issue that Phil had been adding. Just don't focus on a small bit that don't seem proper to you.

What exactly does that graph prove to you? There's no category specific to a trend involving facial hair, but even if I place it in the highest percentage group of strong influence, it still means that almost 3 in 10 companies don't care about it more than slightly. I can't believe that 3 in 10 companies throughout the U.S. are located in silicon valley, so in my mind that means that it's going on in other places. Would you agree that showing up to a job interview with a body piercing, visible tattoos, and dyed unconventional hair and an earring is bad? According to the graph less than a third of companies find that a strong influence which means that 2/3rd's of companies don't mind those things enough to not hire, and in the case of a beard or mustache, it's not even a number worth mentioning. Doesn't sound like conventional thinking is leading the pack according to the graph, yet I'm supposed to believe that a trend is so bad that everyone should just know it's not allowed? He posted a graph that proves the exact opposite of what he's trying to make a point about.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with him not hiring for whatever reason he wants. I just find the reason ridiculous because i'm seeing people say (paraphrasing) * he should have known ahead of time* and seem to overlook the graph he posted which states the opposite.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Alex, don't bother... please. It's a Sisyphean task.

I had an interview with a young engineer interested in the position. He showed up with the in crowd stubble. Guess who didn't get the job.
If you can't groom yourself properly, don't bother to show up and waste peoples time. The guys physical appearance has a direct affect on the customers that he deals with.

I bet neither one of you are losing any sleep over it

I think the non-conformist Engineering Interviewee with the facial stubble will do Ok too, as others before him have!

$stevejobs.jpg$stevejobs2.png$steve3.jpg

Last edited:
Best anti-Axe response I have seen was an article written by a mom who's 11 and 13 year old sons started wearing ridiculous amounts of it. She countered by using the products for a week. Her sons never touched the stuff again!

I used to get home from work via the bus station and kids catching the same buses home from school filled those buses woth the overpowering stench of Lynx(as Axe is known here on the UK). I had two options - walk home or fight back with Brut.

Here's a sports analogy that's roughly the same thing.

A guy owns an NBA team. He interviews two potential college candidates for his team. They both show up for the interview wearing the exact same clothing. The first one is clean shaved, has a beard, or a mustache, and the second one is sporting a few days growth look that is popular at the time. The employer interviews both of them and decides that he doesn't like the facial hair of the second player. Player number one is Sam Bowie, and player number two is Michael Jordan. Who is the only person in this scenario that looses out, because he couldn't be bothered with simply telling Jordan that his facial hair wasn't going to work initially, and ask him if he would shave it, grow a beard, or mustache until he proved himself as a player?

That's a bad analogy, since basketball players don't have to conform to socially accepted dress code.

As much as you're trying to deny it, office workers have certain expectations placed on them and professional appearance is one of them. You dye your hair orange and get face tattoos you're not getting a job in most companies, but the NBA is wide open to you.

What? It's EXACTLY the same situation
You make decisions about your appearance knowing full well what's expected in various social situations, you have to accept the consequences.

No it's not. If you're trying to compare facial hair with showing up to a job interview wearing tennis shoes and a t-shirt then you've missed my entire point, and have succombed to the people who want to derail this thread and talk about other things that don't have to do with facial hair. Explain how a facial hair trend has anything to do with showing up for a job in clothing that would most likely not get anyone hired? I've never argued that people don't get hired for a number of reasons, my argument has essentially boiled down to two points.

1. If someone does everything else correct, the employer would have hired them, and facial hair length is the only factor, it's quite possible that the person would be willing to change it if asked.
2. I don't think facial hair length is a standard that everyone agrees with across the board, but I hear statements like *everyone should just know* yet see a graph that doesn't back it up.

I don't have a problem if an employer doesn't hire someone because of their facial hair alone, but if they decide to not even inquire about whether or not the applicant would be willing to fix it then it's only going to hurt the employer, and the graph seems to indicate that there are companies that don't care enough about facial hair not to hire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom