What's new

Obsolete TV shows

I thought it might be interesting to make a list of TV shows that are not usually shown as reruns. This way others can see what they've missed (or not missed!). Let's limit this to one show per person to give everyone a shot at it. Please attach a photo if you can find one.

My nomination: Lost in Space (1965-1968)

View attachment 27052

The Krypton Factor.
By far my favorite show as a kid. It was a cerebral game show requiring memorization, and also athletic ability. Thanks for bringing this up, I can't wait to go watch clips on YouTube. I haven't seen it in 20 years, I hope it stands the test of time.

From the man that brought you Lost in Space, The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno and When Time Ran Out...Irwin Allen's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1964-68) DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

Just one? How about The Ugliest Girl In Town, September 1968-January 1969.
Even if you forget the cross-dressing premise of the show, the theme song sticks with you like a social disease:
Who owns that fabulous face?/The ugliest girl in town!
Wretched.

proxy.php

Here is one for all horror fans. Darrin McGavin. Aka Carl Kolchak, The Night Stalker. Reputedly the inspiration for Chris Carter's X-Files, this one was a favourite of mine. I recently bought the reissued, remastered dvd boxed set of all 28 episodes and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Another gem is the two movie DVD release that just preceded the series DVD release. This contains two movies that were "movies of the week" the year before the series came on tv. A bit darker with almost none of Kolchak's ironic humour, these are great horror flicks that stand up well. Titled "The Night Stalker" and "The Night Strangler" respectively, they were pretty well received at the time. The names caused some confusion. In the pilot movie the night stalker referenced the vampire who was doing the killing. In the tv series, it referenced Kolchak himself since he prowled the nights getting the stories others didn't. Two especially good episodes of the tv series are "The Ripper" and "The Zombie". What I liked about the low budget show was its creepy music, suspense rather than gore, and the fantastic acting of Darren McGavin and Simon Oakland. BTW, for those who are fans of this genre, you will likely remember the name of the vampire from the original movie; Janos Skorzeny. Now for bonus points. Do you remember which late 80's series featured Chuck Connors as a character with the same name?

Regards, Todd

The photo below is 7'2" Richard Kiel. Episode; Firefall
proxy.php

Private Secretary (aka 'Susie'). A good 50's sitcom. They ran as reruns in the 80's, used to watch it late night all the time, never seen it since, but see they have some DVD's, might have to order them up. Ann Sothern was hot!

Top Bottom