What's new

Good Quality Thermos / Travel Mug?

Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase a thermos/travel mug that I can count on
to last me many years. Most of the travel mugs that I come across
these days are cheap plastic things that are made in China.

I was wondering if you guys might have any suggestions vis-a-vis
durable, good quality travel mugs for coffee. Perhaps something
made in the US?

Thanks! :001_smile

Hydroflask is made in Bend, Oregon and makes a fantastic coffee mug. I've used mine for almost 2 years and it still works awesome. I've had hot coffee in there that was hot 12 hours later and iced drinks where there was still ice in it over 16 hours later!

We've used a Nissan brand stainless and Thermos brand stainless for about 25 years (both appear identical except for the brand name) and I expect both to go many more decades.

They've lasted so well that I have no idea how good anything newer will be. Sorry

Hydroflask is made in Bend, Oregon and makes a fantastic coffee mug. I've used mine for almost 2 years and it still works awesome. I've had hot coffee in there that was hot 12 hours later and iced drinks where there was still ice in it over 16 hours later!

Cool. Thanks Justin.

Is it the “18 oz Coffee & Tea Flask” that you have?

We've used a Nissan brand stainless and Thermos brand stainless for about 25 years (both appear identical except for the brand name) and I expect both to go many more decades.

They've lasted so well that I have no idea how good anything newer will be. Sorry

Thanks Mick. No need for apologies. Maybe I should be scouring places for a vintage or NOS thermoses.

After doing some research on these bottles it looks like they are now manufactured in China and the quality control has slipped quire a bit. Lots of bad reviews on their web site.

After doing some research on these bottles it looks like they are now manufactured in China and the quality control has slipped quire a bit. Lots of bad reviews on their web site.

Oh wow I didn't know this at all. I've had my mug for a long while, so I'm sure that I have one that was made well. It must be the newer batches that have the quality control because I've talked with probably 50 people that have them and they all swear by them. For obvious reasons, they are very popular here in Oregon. That's unfortunate to hear that they've lost their quality.

Funny, I just made a purchase of one that I consider (for my requirements) to be the best one I have had yet. Made by Klean Kanteen, its a 16 oz insulated container. Mine came with a stopper lid, but I also bought the 'cafe' lid with has an opening you can slide open and shut. Even with the cafe lid on, and the spout open, it stays hot for a long time. In fact, I have to let the lid off completely for a bit when I switch them at work so it cools down.

Every thing about it seems well made though. Its heavily constructed from what I can tell, and the sliding part of the lid, which is normally a failure on most travel mugs, seems well made.

My favorite travel mug is a Contigo stainless with their "Autoseal" lid. I love the lid because it doesn't leak like every other travel mug I've used. Plus, if I preheat it the coffee stays warm for my 30 minute commute and a little longer.

I am not sure its longevity will meet your criteria but I love the lid so I wanted to mention it.

My favorite travel mug is a Contigo stainless with their "Autoseal" lid. I love the lid because it doesn't leak like every other travel mug I've used. Plus, if I preheat it the coffee stays warm for my 30 minute commute and a little longer.

I am not sure its longevity will meet your criteria but I love the lid so I wanted to mention it.

This is the same one I was talking about. Love this mug. You can turn it upside down and shake it and not a drop comes out. As far as longevity, I've had mine for years and for much of the time brought it to construction sites with me where it often fell or got dinged and it is still in great shape. Also, warm for 30 minutes? I have to leave the lid off min for about 15-20 minutes or it stays too hot too long. If I put the lid on right after I pour the coffee in (around 5 am) it is still warm in the afternoon.

An older-production Thermos or Stanley will work great for you. Check the 'bay. Any current-production model of those will fail you.

Kleen Kanteens seem to work well. I have one that I picked up from Verve in Santa Cruz. I like it, and it's smaller than my Army-issue stuff.

I consider my 16oz steel Klean Kanteen to be a good travel mug, but a marginal thermos. The main issue is near the top where the double walls come back together, there is no more vacuum protection and the metal conducts heat from within. While the bottle at its mid point feels cool to the touch and appears to be doing a good job insulating, the top 1/2 inch just below the cap gets warm. I like to use mine to carry a coffee to go, but not as a refill cup 2-3 hours later.

Stanley makes some nice ones. I'm pretty sure they're made in China, but the quality seems pretty decent.

I love my Stanley thermos that my pops gave me as a graduation/moving away present. His was from the 70's so they were still made in the US back then. Nowadays I'm almost positive they're made in China.

All I can say is that when my ship was chasing a drug running boat (go-fast), I had to be on the bridge for 14 hrs and the coffee just got to being lukewarm at the very end. Excellent insulation and the mug that comes with it is pretty good for being plastic.

$stanleybb.jpg

Top Bottom