What's new

Good Quality Thermos / Travel Mug?

This is the same one I was talking about. Love this mug. You can turn it upside down and shake it and not a drop comes out. As far as longevity, I've had mine for years and for much of the time brought it to construction sites with me where it often fell or got dinged and it is still in great shape. Also, warm for 30 minutes? I have to leave the lid off min for about 15-20 minutes or it stays too hot too long. If I put the lid on right after I pour the coffee in (around 5 am) it is still warm in the afternoon.

My coffee doesn't last more than 30 minutes. Good to know it will stay warm longer if need be :)

Looks like it is more difficult than I expected to find a thermos currently in production that is made in the US.

From what I have seen thus far, I think that a vintage Stanley is what I need.

The hunt continues.

I have had this Nissan JMW500 for at least five years and use it daily. It seems like a silly thing to say, but it is easily one of my favorite possessions.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 94
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I have had this Nissan JMW500 for at least five years and use it daily. It seems like a silly thing to say, but it is easily one of my favorite possessions.
They must be pretty good I have been seeing tons of truckers and hunters using them.

Yeah, it keeps coffee hot for hours, never leaks yet opens with a flick of the thumb... I guess you could say I'm a fan. I've seen Alton Brown using one on Iron Chef and it gets good reviews on Coffeegeek. And yes, I am a bit of a nerd.

Personally for sealable coffee tumblers I've been using Starbucks stainless steel tumblers which work well and hold up well with my abuse and miss use. They are alittle spendy but my coffee I. The second tumbler is still warm/hot at break time. Cost = 20 - 25 each and I seem to be able to hold on to them. Had one for about 8 years now.

Other good lines are Nissan and Zojirushi, tha later being the caddilac of keeping hot **** hot in cold wi ter conditions. Read their thermal ratings. I've had two that both walked off the construction site. I refuse to buy another because I love them but so does everyone else. If you want hot coffee or soup for lunch in a winter environment, Z is the answer. Nissan also makes a good tough stylish product which is also hard to hang on to.

Alright... I've been without a Zojirushi thermos too long. Headed to the store today to get another. Amazon might be a better source.

http://www.zojirushi.com/products/sfcc

I'm ordering the smaller 51 oz and they also have a 68 oz. Look at the thermal ratings!

Last edited:
When I was still in Construction we would take the tea kettle and fill the Stanley with boiling hot water and let it set for 10 minutes then dump it out and pour the coffee in. Doing that kept the coffee good and hot for about 4 hours.

When I was still in Construction we would take the tea kettle and fill the Stanley with boiling hot water and let it set for 10 minutes then dump it out and pour the coffee in. Doing that kept the coffee good and hot for about 4 hours.

+1 on this.

A preheated thermos makes a lot of difference.

After doing some research on these bottles it looks like they are now manufactured in China and the quality control has slipped quire a bit. Lots of bad reviews on their web site.

Wish I would of seen this post before ordering one. For some reason I assumed the Hydro Flask was made in America... Disappointed to see the "Made in China" on the bottom....

I am a big fan of Hydro Flask. As far as I know, mine are of Chinese manufacture, but I have no complaints about the quality. I've bought six or seven for my household and as gifts.

It does irk me that things as simple as a stainless steel water bottle have to be farmed out to another country. They're expensive enough as it is...how much would US production raise the price? A buck or two? $5? More?

I actually just shipped my Hydro Flask back... For a while now I've been trying to find and support as many US manufactured products as possible.

I don't have a problem spending a few extra dollars on something made in the U.S. but I can see how it probably wouldn't be worth while unless there was a really huge demand. Honestly, if it's something well made that I won't have to replace then I wouldn't mind spending $35-$45 for one. I'd rather spend the money than having to buy a new one for $12-$18 every couple years.

I did happen to find this but not sure if you can put hot liquid in it. I think it's just mainly for water.

In the mean time I've been looking at some NOS Stanley thermos's on the 'bay... Everyone I know who has one has the one their father bought so they seem to last.

I just looked on the bottom of my "thermos" and it says Aladdin Stanley. Are these made in China? It says "Made by Aladdin Industries, Nashville, TN.

Top Bottom