What's new

Good Quality Thermos / Travel Mug?

RTIC tumblers, identical and a fraction of Yeti's cost.. i have both, no difference (xcpt the lid, they look different but they're interchangeable)
It is likely to become more difficult to find YETI knock-offs/clones/whatever as YETI has sued various companies for infringement. Walmart's Ozark Trail line was stopped, I heard RTIC lost their trial and another company shut down saying it wasn't worth it.
Also, I've read that there are YETI fakes out there that look quite similar and the main differences are printing errors in the papers and a sightly different lid font, but otherwise quite similar in appearance. If you are buying online, try to buy from reputable sources.

I have this one. I just realized its made in China. Had I been paying attention when I bought it I would have kept looking. I bought it 2 years ago. I admit that it keeps my coffee piping hot for hours. I'm not kidding. The top has a slit opening that can be opened or closed. So you won't spill the contents and it will continue to stay hotter for longer with it closed. And it fits in my car mug holder perfectly. And I like the dark purple color.

proxy.php

It is likely to become more difficult to find YETI knock-offs/clones/whatever as YETI has sued various companies for infringement. Walmart's Ozark Trail line was stopped, I heard RTIC lost their trial and another company shut down saying it wasn't worth it.
Also, I've read that there are YETI fakes out there that look quite similar and the main differences are printing errors in the papers and a sightly different lid font, but otherwise quite similar in appearance. If you are buying online, try to buy from reputable sources.
RTIC copied the design to the point it was practically a clone. Not surprising that they lost that suit.

I was a little surprised to read the comment about Ozark Trail line, when I search online I see a news article mention a suit about "20-ounce and 30-ounce insulated tumbler cups" and that "the merchandise named in the 2017 settlement is no longer being sold by Wal-Mart in stores and online" but I did not read enough to see if the suit was settled or not. IMO the Yeti tumblers do not look very different from any other manufacturer as how many shapes can fit into the standard cup holder? The Ozark Trail 20, 30, 40 oz versions are for sale online. I am not sure what was changed...maybe it was the color of the lid.

I have not used a YETI or Ozark Trail branded item but I imagine both of their thermoses work better than my old Klean Kanteen.

I have this one. I just realized its made in China. Had I been paying attention when I bought it I would have kept looking. I bought it 2 years ago. I admit that it keeps my coffee piping hot for hours. I'm not kidding. The top has a slit opening that can be opened or closed. So you won't spill the contents and it will continue to stay hotter for longer with it closed. And it fits in my car mug holder perfectly. And I like the dark purple color.

proxy.php
I have one of those too in navy. Used it for about two years, then my wife permanently "borrowed" it from me. Bought a new one in matte black. They work almost too well. LOL. Keeps coffee or tea boiling hot forever.

Wow... I thought Stanley Thermos products were US made.
The Aladdin Company that owned Stanley and made them in the USA had some difficulties. It's now owned by PMI. In 2002 (when the change over occurred) mfg. was moved off shore. They still honour the lifetime warranty on the Aladdin Stanleys as well as theirs, and I've read they are pretty good to deal with (no personal experience). The one you bought is their top line (better than the classic line). Have you tested their claims of heat/cold/ice retention? How do you like it? Or did you return it?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Gotta recommend the zojirushi sm-60 mug, keeps hot liquids wicked hot straight till the end of the day and what I like about the drink spout is that jt has a little "well" area that the liquid goes into before you sip. Some of the other spouts (like the contigo ones, which I have) you can see the hot liquid and are sorta blind pouring into your mouth, leading to the hot liquid to splash your lips... if that makes any sense. Also I have one of the hydroflask flip top bottles, while good, it must be said the flip top is not leak proof. Not an issue if you will be holding the mug throughout your trip, but if you throw it into your backpack etc, it must be kept in mind.

For cold drinks, the hydroflask screw tops are good, although the thread are on the outside of the mouth area, so if your thread get wet, its annoying. The yeti tumbler threads on the inside, so its not an issue, and keeps ice in my experience for over two days.

I have spent more on bottles/travel mugs than I care to admit.

I have this one. I just realized its made in China. Had I been paying attention when I bought it I would have kept looking.
If you mean you would have kept looking for one made in USA you would still be looking, unless you bought used/NOS. From my reading there are no US producers of steel insulated tumblers. The majority are from China, some from Japan, Thailand and I think a couple from Spain, but not too commonly found in North America.

If you mean you would have kept looking for one made in USA you would still be looking, unless you bought used/NOS. From my reading there are no US producers of steel insulated tumblers. The majority are from China, some from Japan, Thailand and I think a couple from Spain, but not too commonly found in North America.

I’d rather buy from Japan than China. Almost anywhere BUT China. That was what I was trying to convey.

proxy.php

I got one in Brushed SS ! They keep Coffee Hot even with the lid open.

proxy.php

Five years ago, I bought the original one in brushed metal - one for me and one for my wife. We bought this for road trips and discovered that it kept our coffee hot for a very long time. In fact, we would fill our Thermos when we left St. Petersburg FL and the coffee would still be hot - if there was any left - when we arrived in Atlanta 8 hours later! The only problem was that my wife needed a straw to get the coffee out of Thermos. Last year I bought two similar to the one in the photo (one in black and one in red). I find it works better in getting liquid out but my wife likes the older version since a straw does not fit in the new one.

Amazon sells the RTIC mug.

The Aladdin Company that owned Stanley and made them in the USA had some difficulties. It's now owned by PMI. In 2002 (when the change over occurred) mfg. was moved off shore. They still honour the lifetime warranty on the Aladdin Stanleys as well as theirs, and I've read they are pretty good to deal with (no personal experience). The one you bought is their top line (better than the classic line). Have you tested their claims of heat/cold/ice retention? How do you like it? Or did you return it?
I still have it. Stanley thermoses have been a regular item for construction workers(I'm a Structural Ironworker) for decades. I haven't tested the claims, but it keeps liquids hot long enough for me. Still shocked that they aren't US made anymore...

Top Bottom