What's new

The Gillette open comb razors and their differentiating shaving properties

This is my first post after some years as a "lurker" so please be gentle to me :blushing:. As you can see English isn´t my native language, but I hope you´ll find it worth reading anyhow.

As I am writing about the Gillette open combs shaving capabilities I should first introduce my personal shaving preferences so you have those to judge my statements by. I mostly use open comb razors and preferably modern open comb razors of the more aggressive type like Fatip, Joris, Pearl and the "infamous" :001_smile Mühle R41. I just bought the ATT H2. I have an extremely coarse beard. I am also more or less obsessed with BBS (I know it´s sad). Even so, I also use vintage open comb razors, most of them are Gillettes. Therefore, I have written this short article where I do a comparison of the Gillette open combs and put the razors in their historical context. I do hope it will be of some help to those who are curious about the vintage open combs, but still undecided on how to start their exploration.

$2014-05-14  Gillette Old Type.jpg
Two Gillette Old Type ABC with an unused ordinary Gillette from about 1919 in the middle

Gillette Old Type (ca. 1904-1929)
When I first shaved with a Gillette Old Type I was surprised. The razor was so mild that I couldn´t possibly achieve BBS even though I tried to the point where I finally got razor burn. In my opinion The Old Type's aggressiveness is best compared with a Fatboy or Slim on setting 4. I wondered why it was so mild. Those who first bought the razors back in those days when it was in production ought to have been accustomed to straight razors. Then the realization hit me. To understand why the Old Type is so gentle you have to put it in its historical context. When it first came into in production The world was a very different place. Cars were unknown to most people. It was uncommon to have cold running water indoors, not to mention hot running water. A shower before shaving? Forget it, what's a shower by the way? Shaving every day was not for everyone and many who shaved daily let a professional barber do the job. Therefore, a razor for domestic use had to provide a not too a painful shave without preparation, hot water or after shave balm. A very extreme example; the First World War with it´s appalling conditions where the soldiers lived in the semi floating mud among the decomposing remains of their fallen comrades. Even there it was an absolute necessity to shave every day to make sure that the gas mask fitted tightly so that it would protect against gas attacks. The Gillette Old Type did the job with flying colors and made Gillette to a truly global brand after the war.
Nevertheless, there are some examples of the Old Type that delivers an extremely rough shave. I have one that's not to be used any more. Every time I tried to use it the razor managed to bite me. A shave with the Muhle R41 is very mild in comparison. I studied the razors head. It looked exactly the same as on its milder siblings, but finally I saw that the cap was a little skewed. The conclusion I came to was that when a razor is about 100 years old, it has made a long journey metaphorically speaking. It has gotten its share of maltreatment, and every blow against a razor head may alter its performance. My recommendation is not to buy an Old Type, even though I have done so on several occasions, but to buy a new Merkur 41 ( European label, also known as the 1904/1906 open comb). It is true that the Merkur handle is made to resemble the German Jugend style ( 1920:s) and not a Gillette Old Type handle but the shave is, in my opinion, indistinguishable from a Gillette Old Type in good condition, a smooth and very mild shave. I would say that it is perfect for those with a lighter beard growth.

$2014-05-14 Gillette New Improved.jpg
Gillette New Improved: New Standard and Tuckaway
Gillette New Improved (ca. 1921-1929)
It is a big step between the New Improved and the Old Type. They have completely different head designs and where produced for very different market segments. The New Improved was manufactured for the top market segment, buyers able and willing to pay a very high premium price. Throughout the whole production time of the New Improved the Old Type where produced as well and directed to the more budget sensitive market segments. The New Improved in all its forms is a beautiful upscale razor designed for those who, during the roaring twenties, had money and optimism, the yuppies of their long gone days. The design is very typical for the era. An Art Deco razor for the Great Gatsby ( I do know he is a fictional figure). The New Improved has a significantly more aggressive head design than the Old Type, possibly comparable to a Fatboy or Slim at setting 7. It is created for people with access to bathrooms and running hot water, which wasn't to be taken for granted in the 1920s. The most gorgeous, in my opinion, of the many New Improved versions is the Tuckaway in silver plating. Do not let the short handle fool you. The Tuckaway is a massive heavy razor that provides an excellent shave. With a feather blade it renders me BBS for about six hours. As the New Improved razor by its owners often was considered as too exclusive to be used, the razors are often to be found in rather good condition, and pre WWII luxury razors tend to be cheaper than de luxe post war razors, The Old Type ABC excluded.

$2014-05-14 Gillette New Improved vs Gillette New Short Comb.jpg
Gillette New Short Comb to the left and Gillette New Improved "New Standard" to the right. Notice the likeness.

$2014-05-14 Gillette New two different heads.jpg
Gillette New Short comb with Gillette New Long comb to the right, notice the difference.:001_smile
Gillette New (ca. 1930-1947)
The Black Friday in October 1929 plunged the whole western world into political, social and economical chaos. Businesses and individuals went bankrupt. Among the companies that survived, but just barely, was Gillette. Everyone seemed to be broke, and most people where. The new times required simpler and above all cheaper designs. The production of the Old Type ceased and the New Improved was simplified and became the Gillett New Short Comb. It is basically very much the same head as The New Improved, but it is more suited for mass production. The aggression ratio is approximately the same, but the head is less heavy. Gillette also introduced the Gillette New Long Comb, a developed and more aggressive version of the Gillette New Short Comb. My very personal opinion is that the Gillette New Long Comb is the best razor Gillette ever made ​ (OK I really do stick my chin out here but it is only my personal opinion so take it for what it is worth). Compared to today's aggressive open comb razors the Gillette Long Comb is milder, just about a Fatboy or Slim on setting 9, which means that it's still a pretty aggressive razor that delivers a really close shave. I can achieve BBS for about eight hours with it, compared to 12 hours with the Muhle R41. The Gillette Long Comb is the razor I would recommend to someone who wants to try an open comb for the first time and has got his shaving technique sorted out. It is common and was produced in numerous different versions (probably in a contionous process to cut production costs) with almost identical shaving properties.

In the years after WWII Gillette New was taken out of production and replaced by different variations of the Gillette Tech and other mostly mild closed comb TTO safety razors. By the way, if you look at an early Tech you´ll see that the baseplate is a modified New Long Comb.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Welcome to B&B, and thank you for such a wonderful and informative write up! I really enjoyed reading through this.

If you are interested, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the ATT H2 compares to your vintage Gillettes too (and the H2 to the R41, for that matter, if you feel like it :thumbup:!

As someone who has not had the opportunity to try these razors I really appreciate you taking the time to do a write up like this. Placing the razors in their historical context gives some great insights into the why to go along with the what.

Fantastic job. :clap:

Thank you all for your kind replies. And yes I do plan to write a comparison of the characteristics of the modern really aggressive safety razors, but I have to get back to you on that one

Thank you all for your kind replies. And yes I do plan to write a comparison of the characteristics of the modern really aggressive safety razors, but I have to get back to you on that one

Sounds great. Can't wait to see it when you have the chance. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for the article.

Have you tried the iKon Deluxe OC? If so, to which of the Gillette open combs would it compare?

I'm afraid I haven't. Steel razors are rather expensive so after a long hesitation I decided to buy only one but that should be the one that suited my beard and my shaving technique best. I went for the ATT H2 with the lightest handle. I have only had the time to use it a couple of times, but so far I'm impressed. My final verdict though must have to wait at least a month or two. I Will post a comparison of the"heavy duty" open combs in due time.😃

This is really informative, and the way you tie the concept of each razor to its historical period is quite interesting. Thanks for posting this.

The Sheraton/Senator is one of the very few long combs that I don't own, but enough it's enough. I've stopped buying razors (many times it's like to quit smoking). I've been drooling over pictures of Sheratons but I really can't convince myself that another LC would improve my shaving. Sigh yes it probably will end up in my "not a collection" sooner or later.

Dear Brother Polarbeard,

Thank you for an outstanding article and the beautiful pictures! I have a collection of about 40 DE razors, including the ones you wrote about. While I didn't agree with every point you made I do think the overall article was wonderful and worth reading by all. Congratulations!

One possible error: I believe the Gillette NEW ceased production in 1940 or 1941, not 1947. Was 1947 a typo? And I was sorry you ignored the Gillette Aristocrat, 1934-1936, which is my #1 favorite razor for shaving and my #1 favorite also for appearance. It is a very aggressive OC razor that when tamed with a slightly mild quality blade gives my coarse 77 year old whiskers a most smooth, close, and long lasting BBS shave of perhaps 12 hours.

Any chance you might do a similar article on single edge razors of that era?

I look forward to future articles from you of this high standard of quality. Please don't keep us waiting too long! :001_rolle

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B, and well done! I think many here would agree with your opinion that the Gillette New Long Comb was the epitome of razor design.

Top Bottom