What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

You know the little white plastic containers that serve as packaging for 5 blades of several brands? It turns out that they can hold a lot more blades! I'm up to 48 currently and there is still room for a lot more. It looks like it's going to hold 70-80 blades. I currently use a blade a week so just one of these is going to last me about 1-1/2 years. I had a couple of other home made blade banks before this but I abandoned them to the trash when I learned of this simple solution which takes up a small fraction of the space taken by other blade banks. Once it's full it will be simple to tape it up and dispose of it properly. (No little ones to worry about in my household but still it is stored out of reach of any youngsters.)

proxy.php

You know the little white plastic containers that serve as packaging for 5 blades of several brands? It turns out that they can hold a lot more blades! I'm up to 48 currently and there is still room for a lot more. It looks like it's going to hold 70-80 blades. I currently use a blade a week so just one of these is going to last me about 1-1/2 years. I had a couple of other home made blade banks before this but I abandoned them to the trash when I learned of this simple solution which takes up a small fraction of the space taken by other blade banks. Once it's full it will be simple to tape it up and dispose of it properly. (No little ones to worry about in my household but still it is stored out of reach of any youngsters.)

+1, one of these on a top shelf of a medicine cabinet is a safe and free blade bank.

$WP_20131022_11_50_26_Pro.jpgI go the Altoid tin route. I used a Dremmel-like tool to cut the slit. It's small enough that the blades slide in but can't accidentally slide out. Then I seal the tin tight with glue and electrical tape. When it's full in about 6 months to a year, I'll just throw it out and make another. I like the idea of it being disposable, but I must admit that some of the items shown here are practically works of art!

+1 for this method. It's my current favorite.

proxy.php

I use a container that used to have royal rice blend in it http://www.riceselect.com/royal-blend.aspx . I cut a slot in the lid using my pocket knife and it will old a lot. When it is full, I will put biohazzard tape all over it and several labels saying contains used razor blades and chuck it in the trash (sadly the recycle service in my city refuses to recycle sharp metal objects:cursing:). I might paint the container at some point though.

I have read this whole thread, and have a Coors aluminum bottle for my blade bank.
I see some people are concerned about the cans and what happens when they recycle them. One possible solution is to put a little water in the can/bank, and fill with Gorilla Glue. It expands 400%,and should cover all the blades into one thick chunk when dried.

proxy.php

I was using a coca cola can, but now I'll be using this idea. Thanks Mikelz777!

Well folks...I just recycled my first can blade bank and it held a whopping 635 blades...no I didn't use them all myself I consolidated all the banks we had in our home...also some of these blades were SE from my nephews detailing business...so as I recall someone made a post suggesting around 630 blades and that's what I got! !! I know what I'm doing this weekend...Swansons anyone???

I made two Used Blade Banks for my bathroom.

I take seriously the handling of sharp instruments and I had fun following the instructions of the tutorial.

The red mailbox was purchased at Target for a $1 and the other one is a generic can. Both were glue gunned shut and I downloaded the label from the same source as mentioned above.

Attachments

• $20140103_182547.jpg
    $20140103_182547.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 419
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I stumbled across this - as a very new newbie looking to get his first ever DE very soon, I hadn't even thought about what to do with the used blades! :blushing:

I use a plastic pill bottle, child proof lid. I'm sure my Dr. will dispose of it when full. If not the Dr., probably the Vet.

Every time I see someone opening a can with a chef knife I have an urge to punch someone. If someone did that to one of my $200+ blades they would leave my kitchen sans a few fingers ;)

Every time I see someone opening a can with a chef knife I have an urge to punch someone. If someone did that to one of my $200+ blades they would leave my kitchen sans a few fingers ;)

I must say it made me cringe a bit especially when you see videos about honing chef or knife blades and how easily a keen edge is lost. Back to a 400 grit hone after this ;)

Could use a Stanley knife with a dull blade as I have done this with a similar old mints tin and save precious blades.

Top Bottom