What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

This is a good solution. I always worry about some animal (like my dog) getting into the garbage and biting into one of my old blades that I thought I safely wrapped in something or other. I wonder if you could somehow get the soup out of a tomato soup can and get that Andy Warhol look- I am stupid enough to try it. Turkey baster, syringe and bike pump? It won't be pretty, but I may just have to do it some day. I have to go now and find a red shirt.

Just on this topic alone, in about 12-14 hours I've gone from "hasn't crossed my mind" to "altoid tin sounds like a good idea" to "gotta add liquid broth to grocery list." And a little later I'll look at commercially manufactured banks too. I really like the customized idea though........make it uniquely mine. :001_smile

This site is great! Thanks everybody!

+1 to all the great ideas on the site. I would like to contribute just a tad... mostly because I'm now getting the best shaves ever (the wife is tired of me saying 'feel my face - it's been 12 hours!).

I also looked at cheap banks online and figured the shipping was a PITA so decided to look for alternatives. Since it is now Christmas, small tins are available in the shops for gifts. I picked up several at Walgreen's and decided to make a Christmas bank out of one of them. Of course, when Christmas is over, I can either put it up until next year or paint it. This one has a slit in it just under the lid. Hard to see and quite stable (blades won't come out easily). If you don't want to empty it, then you can super glue the lid on and toss it when it is full. The size is right, it looks good in the medicine cabinet or on the sink, and... it seems to work. I used a Dremel to cut the slots but a stout pair of scissors will do it, too. Cut down to the bump that acts as a lid stop and carefully bend it over with your fingers. Hard to imagine anything easier.

Edit: Oh... and the cost was 66 cents (3 for $2).

$DSCN0518small.jpg$DSCN0519small.jpg

Last edited:
I made a blade bank that should last me the rest of my life. The tin was covered with a print that I found of a Gillette Poster. Took the copy and spray glued the print to the tin and then took my Dremmel and cutting wheel and made a horizontal slot near the top to slide the blades in. I take a drop of Old Spice and drop into the slot so I do not collect any odor from the used blades. The can is on the lower shelf with purple Gillette Advertisement on it. The lid was sealed with adhesive to keep anyone from getting to the blades and getting hurt. Ifd you look close, you can see the slot in the tin. Took a total of ten minutes to make after finding the Gillette poster on line to copy!
View attachment 207430

See if the place where you work has a bin for used blade disposal. Pretty common if you have a shipping department or work in a field where blade disposal is important (flooring, framing, art/craft, electronics, warehouse, etc.). They are usually bright yellow.

Here is the one I made the other day for my house:

$blade_bank_sm.jpg

A Fisherman's Friend tin with a slot in the top and velcro to attach it to the wall. Remove and empty at work, replace. I reckon it'll hold about 100-150 blades before it needs emptying.

Am I wrong for just using an old prescription medicine bottle?

• It's plastic, so it won't shatter if I drop it.
  • It uses a safety cap, so it's at least as tamper proof for the kids as our other medicine.
  • It's slightly transparent, so I can see when it's full.
  • When it does get full, I can dump the blades into a used metal can and seal it for recycling.
  • Therefore, it is reusable.

I dunno, unless I'm missing something, it seems like the perfect solution to me.

I was just looking on Amazon for a sharps contained, however, these seem like way better ideas. I particularly like the soup contained that remains totally sealed at all times. Very, very safe, particularly while in the house with kids that can get into anything, and for the recycling department (or any local "urban prospectors" that might be going though the recycling to get cans/ botles).
Great idea, thanks for posting!

Am I wrong for just using an old prescription medicine bottle?

• It's plastic, so it won't shatter if I drop it.
  • It uses a safety cap, so it's at least as tamper proof for the kids as our other medicine.
  • It's slightly transparent, so I can see when it's full.
  • When it does get full, I can dump the blades into a used metal can and seal it for recycling.
  • Therefore, it is reusable.

I dunno, unless I'm missing something, it seems like the perfect solution to me.

That is what I recently did, cut a slit in the cap and covered the prescription label with duct tape. Works great and since my prescription insurance company had already spent the $1100 for the pills that were inside the bottle (and I had already taken the pills according to instruction) the bottle was essentially free.:biggrin1:

For those of you who are wondering how to get rid of old DE blades, try your doctors office. Most doctors office have small recycle bin for sharps, needles etc. I took my old altoid blade bank full of used blades and they let me dump the blades in the sharp bin. Also, some workplace have small sharp recycle box usually in the bathroom. To be honest, I can not think about throwing my used blades in the garbage... very unlikely but someone could get hurt

Can looks great! Me, I just used my perscription pill container, if you drop it ,it will not break nor will the lock top come off. Also, you can see into the container to see how many razor blades you have accumulated.

I made one of these using a chicken stock can last weekend. It was very easy to make and is perfect to keep blades from little kiddie hands around the house. I have yet to paint it!

good idea ,a safety blade can,ive watched recycling been done when i take a load to the dump in my truck.it goes on the floor first then on to a conveyer for sorting by hand.my rubbish is all mixed construction waste glass ,metal wood.nails screws etc makes me cringe thinking about the hazard risks.safety cans the way to go.even solder the slot.i like soldering.:thumbup1:

I love pineapple juice, so I might get a big can of it, sterilize the top and something to cut the slot. I then would poor the juice into a pitcher for consumption.

Top Bottom