What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

This is what I have: a prescription bottle. I cut a slot in the top (soft plastic) and glued the top onto the bottle. We have little hands in the house. The bottle is plastic and won't rust. Choose the soft caps, they will cut easily and won't snap. This 3.5 inch bottle should hold over 200 blades.

$IMG_20140720_181617.jpg

This is what I want: an art deco frog.

$625x465_1151497_1068236_1371057025.jpg
It's available from Shapeways.com. It's made of nylon with a slide bottom to remove the blades when it's full.

View attachment 474812
It's available from Shapeways.com. It's made of nylon with a slide bottom to remove the blades when it's full.

Cool frog!

If you are looking for a less expensive blade bank with a removable bottom, West Coast Shaving has a metal one for $1.99 : http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Razor-Blade-Bank-White_p_2237.html

They also have a metal one with a sealed bottom as well for $1.00 :
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Double-Edge-Blade-Bank_p_45.html

View attachment 474812

I found one of these old Listerene frog banks a few months back, but passed on it for two reasons:
1. It's sealed, and not re-usable
2. The seller thought it was made of solid gold. Or at least that's how he had it priced.

$il_570xN.557296251_gjg9.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am always impressed by the creative work on blade banks. I'm creative with music and woodworking, but when it comes to blade banks I guess I'm just too lazy. I went to the dollar store.

$IMG_1867.jpg

This is what I have: a prescription bottle. I cut a slot in the top (soft plastic) and glued the top onto the bottle. We have little hands in the house. The bottle is plastic and won't rust. Choose the soft caps, they will cut easily and won't snap. This 3.5 inch bottle should hold over 200 blades.

View attachment 474811

View attachment 474812
Anyone know of any other new blade banks like this frog? I've only seen one, from Classic Edge, but it is disposable and ceramic so not cheap.

Great idea! Thank to share it....but I'd like to post a question more difficult than this? How do you dispose the blade when you travel? Frequently I travel 2-3 days. I use to shave with my dismountable Merkur 985 but I feel bad to dispose the blade in the trash can, even if I wrap-up it with paper!

....but I'd like to post a question more difficult than this? How do you dispose the blade when you travel? Frequently I travel 2-3 days. I use to shave with my dismountable Merkur 985 but I feel bad to dispose the blade in the trash can, even if I wrap-up it with paper!

Some ideas...

I keep some of those blade dispensers that have a "used blade" slot in the back for traveling. I keep iy in my travel gear and slide the used blade in the slot.

I travel with a 3-piece razor, brush, and blade in a tall pill bottle. If I have used the blade only once or twice I put it back in the wrapper and leave it in the pill bottle.

When I had to discard a blade in a hotel room and had no options I have wrapped it in several layers of tissue and/or a piece of note paper and placed it in with other trash. I don't think hotel people dig through the trash and you would have to work hard to get to that blade.

After seeing a considerable number of threads recently regarding blade banks and disposing of spent razor blades I decided to show how to make a simple yet effective blade bank for under 50 cents.
This project cost 33 cents and took approximately 20 minutes minus drying time./QUOTE]
proxy.php

I used a tea tin with the same goals in mind. This one, 2.5 inches high, fits easily on the medicine cabinet shelf. If the slit is made on the front, near the top, it's much easier to insert used blades without handling the tin, than inserting into an upward facing top slit, where you might have to handle the tin. Its finish eliminates the need for painting unless desired. Plus, there is no liquid content involved. I actually used a Peets' tea tin I had emptied, but the one pictured can be bought online for 85 cents at http://www.specialtybottle.com/tinteasquare25wsliplid.aspx

Last edited:
I just made one out of a used dental floss container. I took out the spent spool and cutter, cut a hole in the top and super glued it shut. 100% free!

We hit an estate sale yesterday and I scored a couple coin banks. They were 50 cents each, but it was 1/2 off day. The wooden cask, will hold a lot of blades, it is bigger than a quart jar.
I like the look of the wood in my corner of the counter.
$image.jpg$image.jpg

It really depends on how you count. Last year I went to my local Deli and purchased a quart of cole slaw for $5.25 in the usual nondescript plastic container. After finishing the cole slaw (and sending the plastic container through the dishwasher), I cut a slit in the top and Voila, a perfect sharps container.

I am not quite clear how to put a cost on it. In theory it cost nothing since the container was free with the cole slaw, but I am certain an economist would add the time value of money (I had to wash the thing, after all; and cut a slit in it) as well as the cost of putting a piece of duct tape on it when it is full to be sure that the top doesn't open allowing the blades to cut an unsuspecting garbage man or something.

Total Cost: 10 cents

Even if the blades just fell on top of one another with no separate stacking, that's about 127 blades in a four inch high can. So easily a year's worth for most of us.

Looks much more nice than my Cherry Coke box :p

@Jim: Alot! That box takes about 4 dl => 0.4 dm^3.
Your regular razor blade is 40 mm x 20 mm x 0.8 mm => 640 mm^3 = 0.00064 dm^3
0.4 / 0.00064 = 625 blades if you have optimal storage :) (My guess is that you won't!)

What exactly is a "blade bank"? A container to throw out blades without them cutting your trash bag? I discard my blades in the wax paper they came in. Not guaranteed they will stay in, but the blades are also dull so...

Standard beer can with no mods. Just bend the blade a little to get it in the opening. Tip upside down it won't fall out and won't rust. The broth can is way more decorative though. The beer can blade bank does not get proudly displayed. May have to paint one like a barber pole.

Top Bottom