What's new

shoe advice. dress shoe

prices were on par, and they looked pretty comfortable, just didnt find a lot i'd say were "dress" appropriate.

maybe for dressing down... sure.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Madden-...d=1390843165&sr=1-69&keywords=dress+shoes+men

no reviews on this one yet.. idk if its new or what? any thoughts on this brand?

i like the look! and color!

I wear sub $100 shoes all the time. And I own $200+ shoes too. I wear Steve Maddens often. They are fashionable but disposable. I walk to and from work so they don't last forever. But I rotate and treat them like they are expensive shoes. Polish, trees, etc. Go with the black ones if you are only getting one pair. The tan ones are very distinct. There are two lines. Steve Madden and Madden. Do not buy Madden, they are trash.

I usually buy them at outlets or places like DSW. I also often wear Kenneth Cole shoes from their outlet stores.

Nordstrom Rack is another good place for good deals. I got a great pair of Cole Haan's there for about $100.

prices were on par, and they looked pretty comfortable, just didnt find a lot i'd say were "dress" appropriate.

maybe for dressing down... sure.

What, for Clarks? They have plenty of dress oxfords. What exactly are you looking for? Are you wearing a suit everyday or is this just business casual? Any kind of black cap-toe or brown oxford without anything too outlandish should be fine for either occasion.

Examples:
http://www.zappos.com/clarks-dorset-boss-black-leather
http://www.zappos.com/clarks-quid-fargus-brown-leather

I'm also curious what you didn't like about the Born shoes I posted before as opposed to the Steve Maddens. Just remember that in the price range you're looking at you'll probably have some significant creasing in the leather over time so going for a totally "clean" looking shoe might end up with undesirable results sooner than anticipated.

Either way you're on the right track as far as going to try them on, and feel the shoe quality for yourself.

What, for Clarks? They have plenty of dress oxfords. What exactly are you looking for? Are you wearing a suit everyday or is this just business casual? Any kind of black cap-toe or brown oxford without anything too outlandish should be fine for either occasion.

Examples:
http://www.zappos.com/clarks-dorset-boss-black-leather
http://www.zappos.com/clarks-quid-fargus-brown-leather

I'm also curious what you didn't like about the Born shoes I posted before as opposed to the Steve Maddens. Just remember that in the price range you're looking at you'll probably have some significant creasing in the leather over time so going for a totally "clean" looking shoe might end up with undesirable results sooner than anticipated.

Either way you're on the right track as far as going to try them on, and feel the shoe quality for yourself.

Born shoes are really nice and quit comfy too!!!

1. Florsheim. My number one choice in your price range.
2. Bostonian. Still good but not as nice as the Florsheim
3. Dockers. Good sturdy dress up or down shoes.
4. Rockports. Did not like the insole, had to replace it after a few month. Other then that a good shoe.
5.Aldo Shoes. Sturdy well made shoes, good life span and up to date styles.

If you leave them at your desk and only wear them at work they will last for ages.

Think about buying a second pair in the near future and rotate wearing them. They will last three times as long. Being its a second pair you can bide your time till a good deal comes along.

Outside of that, check out e-bay for Allen Edmonds. you can get a good deal and get them recrafted later.

Johnny

business casual pretty much. im just sitting at a desk all day. (or will be starting monday) i do like those clarks you linked.. and the price too.

Good advice earlier about buying the best in your budget... unfortunately your budget does not include classic leather soled shoes from Allen Edmonds, Alden or any of the high end British (Barker, Tricker's, Church's), or French (J.M. Weston) or Italian (A.Testoni, Ferragamo, Santoni)manufacturers... but do not despair. My best advice would be to find a location of The Walking Company. They have some nice stuff in your price range, Clark's, Ecco, Mephisto and many others. Also they have some nice fitting tech equipment and "usually" knowledgeable sales staff that can get you a proper fit. They are all over the country so hopefully there is one near your location. Another good choice IMHO Cole Haan is a nice choice as well. I have a couple of pairs of these with the Nike Air soles and they are super comfortable, of medium-to-high quality and very fashion forward. True most of the Cole Haan shoes in your price range are made in southeast Asia while the others I mentioned are made in either Europe or India. Another good spot to look would be at the high end outlets like Nordstom Rack and Sack's Off Fifth. Find that sweet sport where your wallet, fashion sense, daily need and social conscious converge and pull the trigger.

since i will probably buy in person, i will have to do some looking. .............another thing i did look at was ebay. they have the names you are naming here at huge discounts. thousands sold, and a positive rating of 97.9..ect. im just sayin....

Get the best you can afford in dress shoes.

+1

Worth every penny.

In the $100 range, I'd be looking at around $120 for Florsheim Oxfords.
That used to be my primary pair until I budgeted the $650 or so for two pair of Allen Edmonds... Strand (Cap-Toe with perforations) and McAllister (wingtip).
I bought both of those in Bourbon and they are my everyday work/dress shoes.
I also invested in a pair of AE Park Ave's, which are a plain cap toe, in black. Those are the wedding/funeral/semi-formal shoe... they will probably last the rest of my life considering they are not likely to be worn more than once or twice a year.

Honestly.. the fit and comfort of the AEs just blows the Florsheims away... and the fact that they actually offer shoes that fit me properly (A width) helps a lot.

Go with the Steve Maddens, or any other brand/style that you like at the $100 price point for now. Can I assume that you're starting a new job that may pay some more money than you're making now, if its forcing you to dress better?
If this assumption is true, your 'cheaper' shoes will last you for a little while and after you get some money in your pocket you can splurge on your shoes that will last decades, and lots of other stuff too Im sure.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is you have to take care of dress shoes. Rotate them if you can (don't wear them every day so they can dry out fully between wearings) keep them clean, conditioned and polished. A well maintained pair of less expensive shoes will last longer and look better then an abused neglected pair of $700 hand stitched high end ones.
This man speaks some wise words. Maintenance will prolong the life of for shoes and make them look so much sharper.

If it helps with brand recommendations I always wear English shoes from Northampton, my preference being for Church's, Crockett & Jones, then Loakes (in that order)

Here is my maintenance routine if it helps:

http://thelearnedgentleman.com/that-polished-appearance-the-shoe-maintenance-guide/

Here is my favourite pair of all my shoes - Church's benchmade tan brogues. They are now probably 8 years old and just keep looking better and better (and have been resoles 3 times)

proxy.php

Top Bottom