What's new

shoe advice. dress shoe

How long does that process typically take?
Seems like it would take hours.
The removal of the old polish need only be done periodically.

I reckon that this process probably takes around 45 minutes to an hour. No problem though as I enjoy the relaxation of the process and do it in the evening whilst watching the tv :wink2:

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right!

Understand you want to buy in person, but on a budget I'd consider trying on some AEs to nail down your size and then ordering from the shoe bank.

Personally I don't like to do that, (especially if they are commissioned) but I still think it'd be the way to make your dollar go the furthest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141173647175?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i just purchased these. could not pass it up for the price. i can live with a scuff. maybe i can even remove it? IDK..
but they will get me buy for now. and it's a shoe i can dress down with jeans as well. (i think)

i'm sure it's not the last dress shoe i will buy. all of your advice has been appreciated. i know it will come in handy in the future.

thank you all very much.

SA makes a decent shoe.
In my twenties working retail, I wore SA because they looked good, the soles wore well on the sales floor, and it was one of the nicest shoes I could afford on a retail salary.

I think that when it comes to shoes, you really do get what you pay for. My dress shoes are Church's, which cost a great deal, but are well worth it in terms of style, comfort and longevity. I currently own 4 pairs of Church's and they range in age from 16 years to 14 years old and all are in excellent condition. Being dress shoes they, of course, have full leather soles and half leather heals, but despite regular wear I've not had to have them re-soled, re-heeled or repaired in any way. Without a doubt they will last the rest of my life. When my father died in 1983 he was still wearing Church's he had acquired prior to WW II. As concerns casual shoes, I like Clarks, Ecco and Geox: good looking, sturdy, dependable and reasonably priced. My boots, a pair of ropers, are Lucchese; again, not inexpensive, but very well made, sturdy and good looking. You won't regret spending a bit more to get a good pair of shoes/boots, after all we spend a great deal of time on our feet, so you want comfort and quality. It's a bit like buying tyres; you can cheap out and take your chances or you can pay a bit more and rest easily; remember all that is between you and the road are your tyres.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Florsheim's and Rockports that I paid only about $50/pair for. I've spent a lot more and yes the shoes had better materials and could be resoled, but I got a good 5 years out of a $50 pair of Florsheims and then went out and bought another pair because they were so comfortable. I've bought other $50 pairs (like Bostonian) that have barely lasted a year so I don't recommend just any inexpensive shoes, but I don't think you have to spend several hundred dollars or more to get a decent pair.

the shoes came in today. they seem to fit good and feel pretty damn comfortable. i think it was the same shoe in the picture. if that scuff saved me $50,, so be it!
tomorrow is where "the sole meets the floor" as i will be wearing them all day. im at a desk though, so for those who were pushing towards a better quality shoe?? i believe you, it's just that i think i have a "decent" shoe for a super low price.

btw... that link i put in post #43... there were two pair. i think second pair are still available. can't beat the price.

1. Florsheim. My number one choice in your price range.
2. Bostonian. Still good but not as nice as the Florsheim
3. Dockers. Good sturdy dress up or down shoes.
4. Rockports. Did not like the insole, had to replace it after a few month. Other then that a good shoe.
5.Aldo Shoes. Sturdy well made shoes, good life span and up to date styles.

I agree with all except for the Aldo shoes, didn't like how they fit. I picked up 2 pairs of florsheims for $110 at the outlet. Had some quality issues and the heel started to come undone after 2 weeks, but they sent me a new pair free of charge and told me to keep the old ones. I paid 5 bucks for a cobbler to stitch them up. I have two pairs of bostonians which are probably my most comfortable shoes, but seem to be wear a little faster than the rest. My least favorite pair of shoes are my rockports. While not bad, they have a plastic feel to them, but I think that they still look great and are comfortable.

stacy adams, johnston and murphy, and bostonian. ...........johnston and murphy all the way!!!! i dobt i will buy anything other than that ever again.

Top Bottom