What's new

Best pencil sharpening service?

I have a case of #2 pencils and need to have them sharpened. Is there a service you can recommend? While I am picky about how my pencils are sharpened, I have no formal training in doing so. From time to time I wind up with a pencil that was cut off-center and I have to compensate, but it's so rude to try to nick off that last bit before I bite into graphite. Unwieldy.

This is your solution:

proxy.php

Yep, any rotary pencil sharpener should give you a nice uniform point.

If you can find one of those old metal pencil sharpeners that they used to have at schools you will be on a winner, but some modern (like Staedtler) ones are good too.

They come 144 per case, I believe it is a gross. I wish I could find the synthetic wood #2 pencils I had in the 70s, they were much smoother than the natural wood #2's that are available on the market today.

I'm sure there is a service that can be sent 50-100 pencils at a time to be resharpened. Just curious if any of you have taken advantage of this kind of thing.

I'm sure there is a service that can be sent 50-100 pencils at a time to be resharpened. Just curious if any of you have taken advantage of this kind of thing.

Sharpening 100 pencils with an electric sharpener still is a breeze. But the initial investment for a good electric sharpener is high. Don't fall in the trap of buying the cheap sharpeners! You need to have one that is also used at e.g. primary schools. Bruynzeel produces them here.

proxy.php

Last edited:
A pencil sharpening service....? What happened to the good ol fashion pencil sharpeners we had in school, or the hold it in your hand kind. I have never heard of such. I do konw it might be kind of difficult to turn a pencil or twist a handle...but......

Last edited by a moderator:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
This caught me off guard. I didn't know such services existed. I have used a hand cranked pencil sharpener while in school but mostly use a pocketknife to sharpen my pencils. I used a pocketknife to sharpen a pencil at work last night.

They come 144 per case, I believe it is a gross. I wish I could find the synthetic wood #2 pencils I had in the 70s, they were much smoother than the natural wood #2's that are available on the market today.

Unless you're really pressed for time I wouldn't think a gross would be hard to do by hand. Of course, I don't know you're circumstance. So I cannot make a real assessment. But even with a hand crank I expect I could sharpen 144 pencils in under an hour unless you have some special purpose point shaping requirement or specification. 3600 seconds/144 pencils = 25 seconds/pencil. It would take me that long to bundle the things up, get shipping info, and then send them off. Heck, we've probably got 30 man-hours talking about it already in this thread.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd use an old-fashioned, hand-cranked sharpener on 4 or 5 pencils, resharpen them as needed, and then, when they're finally down to stubs, sharpen another 4 or 5. Why would you need the entire case sharpened at once?

We're all curious: What's the situation? Why would you need them professionally sharpened all at once? What will you do when they need to be resharpened?

Here are the things I'd probably do:

1. Use a regular electric sharpener, either all at once or just one at a time when needed.

2. Pay a kid $10 to do them all with the electric sharpener.

3. Try to build a rig to sharpen them the way the factory does, as shown on How It's Made:

Last edited by a moderator:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I could see where this might be necessary. Places like the DMV and putt putt courses (and I assume golf courses, never done it) usually have supplies of sharpened pencils for customer use.

I could see where this might be necessary. Places like the DMV and putt putt courses (and I assume golf courses, never done it) usually have supplies of sharpened pencils for customer use.

Yeah, I can think of a number of scenarios that a service would be useful/necessary. But if you're already in a bind, and the point specification isn't difficult to meet (other than pointy I can't think of a spec, but I've been around long enough not to get surprised) then an hour should do it.

But if you have some strange spec to meet, then it isn't going to be 15 seconds in the sharpener.

Last edited:
Top Bottom