What's new

Best pencil sharpening service?

Wow! The thread that keeps on giving!

Mikey
From a non-descript hotel room somewhere in TN. (Diligently driving across the USA, but not in a Chevrolet.)

So, I mounted the pencil in my drill press and then fabricated a jig to hold the sandpaper, but I started a "small-ish" friction fire in my shop. It's all good though, the foam system extinguished the blaze before any real damage was done to my neighbors house too.

No, no, NO! You need high speed and low torque! The air turbulence dissipates the generated heat and the centrifugal force lets the dust fly further, carrying heat with it. If you're going to use the drill press, you need to use cutting oil.

Bah! A machine. Next you'll be using canned shaving cream.

have not gone that far yet, I'm not looking to open a factory

$pencil sharpener.jpeg

I also got (and this pert is true ) replacement blades because pencil sharpening problems are most often attributable to a dull blade.

have not gone that far yet, I'm not looking to open a factory

I also got (and this pert is true ) replacement blades because pencil sharpening problems are most often attributable to a dull blade.

I find the feathers a little too sharp, while the Derby's give my pencils wood burn. :tongue_sm

I'll grant you the fact that Lawrence Livermore is a great place to get a laser sharpened pencil point. We are B&B members. Settling for laser sharp when we could be getting particle beam sharp begs the question of how much tolerance creep we are willing to accept.

I'll grant you the fact that Lawrence Livermore is a great place to get a laser sharpened pencil point. We are B&B members. Settling for laser sharp when we could be getting particle beam sharp begs the question of how much tolerance creep we are willing to accept.

It depends... Are these natural particle beams we're talking about, or synthetics?

This is up there for me favorite thread yet...

Though I am still intrigued how someone would go through so many pencils....

I'm having difficulty with using the sandpaper, guess I'm pressing too hard...the graphite shaft keeps breaking once it get's very thin. I should probably watch the video again :001_rolle

No, no no! Film is not the proper surface. I've been working out a comparison on various coticules. So far in my testing, the les lat is superior. It's actually an ingenious investment since you can sharpen your knife AND your pencil point on the same stone.

replacement blades?!?!? Blasphemy! You should be honing and stropping to get a new edge on the existing blade. :tongue_sm

now that you mention it... I should, but in time the blade will be ground down and I will have to replace it .

and just when I thought you my shaving brothers were the hight of odd ball boring hobbyists I present to you

http://www.penciltalk.org

http://www.penciltalk.org/2008/06/replacement-pencil-sharpener-blades

every time I think I have found the bottom of the rabbit hole...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My artisinal toilet paper folding service is once again taking orders.

Top Bottom