What's new

Have you saved money by switching to wet shaving?

Have you saved money by switching to wet shaving

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

• No noticable difference in my spending

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not even close. I used to shave about 3 times a week tops and a pack of cartridges would last me about six months sometimes more.

Now I have numerous ADs and when one slows to a reasonable level another steps up and takes it's place. It's a vicious cycle but well worth it. :biggrin:

If I stop feeding my AD's now (not that I plan to) I think I would break even in about two years. But it's not really about the money. It's more about enjoying myself and there are still new things I want to try.

Its funny. I got into this to save money, and lower my environmental footprint. However, I think it was when I was re-watching of couple of mantic's videos that I realized why the spending of money doesn't bother me. For us this is a hobby and form of enjoyment. We get the side benefit that our hobby is functional, but we do this for the sheer enjoyment. Personally, I am all for it. :biggrin:

If I compare my recent expenditures to the two electric razors I've had, I won't have surpassed it by much until the next couple of weeks go by (I expect Enchante is about to put a hurt on my wallet). The electrics cost about $60 and $120 and the more expensive Braun model never gave me even one adequate shave. It just couldn't grab and yank my under the jawline hairs that grow curly and almost parallel to the skin.You can't even calculate that cost per shave, because you can't divide by 0!

If I compare my new product-heavy shaving to the less elegant shaving I've been doing the last few years (M3, Burma Shave brush, small water dish from a feed store as a mug and "product samples" of wife's shaving soap), then I shot right past the first day off I had after finding this site.

By the way, when I told my wife that all these products were part of the "wet shaving" I was undertaking, she snorted out a laugh at me. I think she believed I was pampering myself and starting a new hobby, not just trying for a better shave. Of course, she was right. But it still beats a $120 paper weight taking up space in the bathroom closet.

Roger

I've basically been a wetshaver my whole life. I used canned stuff only when my favorite cream or soap became unavailable.

I switched to DE's about half a dozen years ago and that was a substantial savings over cartridges.

I discovered this site a year ago and it gave me the desire to try new creams. But nearly all I did try were no better than what I already used (most were worse). So my spending spiked, but it's now back to previous levels.

I'm now brushless (I didn't replaced that last brush I owned when it broke) so I am more on the cheap now than I've been in a long time. But I love my Musgo and Taylor's Rose, so I doubt I'll ever get back down to Williams level of spending again.

Well, if you only consider my current daily equipment and not everything I've accumulated in total, then yes. I used an electric before, and if you consider the initial cost plus new foil/blades every 6 months, it tops out higher than the initial cost of a razor /w DE blades, a couple of creams/soaps, and 1-2 aftershaves.

Extra accessories like a few different vintage Gillettes, extra creams, and colognes definitely put me over the top. But the quality of the shave is far improved, and honestly, I don't mind the extra expense for the greater quality. What I really disliked was the cost of the electric razor heads, or the relatively high cost of cartridge razors--you always knew as soon as you looked at those price stickers that they were higher than 60% margin. There's no way bits of plastic and little sharpened steel foils cost that much.

Honestly though I didn't jump into this to save money (although the money saved on razor blades is a wonderful given). It was more because I was curious and intrigued. :biggrin:

DE Razors - $300
Straight Razors - $550
DE Blades - $40
Strops/Hones - $350
Creams/Soaps - $500
Brushes - $1000
Aftershaves/Colognes - $500
ENJOYING MY SHAVE - PRICELESS

I think that once a shaver can settle in on his goto kit, then he can start saving money. But does that every happen? :confused: Of course, you could also just call some of what we do a hobby.

I think that, except for the collectors among us, the extra money we spend on shaving products is to make our shaves more comfortable or otherwise enjoyable. These products, such as quality soaps or creams, brushes, aftershaves and colognes, can be used to one's advantage whether you shave with a straight razor, DE, cartridge, or disposable. A quality shave costs more than a mediocre one. Years ago, I was visiting a friend in Daytona Beach and asked him why he spent so much money on his car. His reply, "Because it takes money to go fast!" :001_smile

-Clarke

Find the shaving products that work for you.

I spend a lot less now than when I used the cartridge and goo. My setup is minimal, as I use only Proraso cream, Williams Mug, and all three varieties of VDH. I only use Nivea ASB to finish up my shave. I've saved even more than when I started because I now shave my head with the DE as well. The best part about it all is that I don't have ingrowns/razor bumps anymore and I actually enjoy shaving now. It's great :biggrin:

Not everyone has AD. I'm definitely ahead of the game compared even to Sensor cartridges. Three razors, all from family; better brush as a Xmas present; been through the sample pack, found the one I liked, and bought it in bulk; one soap at a time. Probably have spent what I would have spent on cartridges in the last six months, but I'm set for consumables for the next year.

I voted no noticable difference....yet
I have managed to acquire several razors, gotten a blade sampler from westcoast, and several shaving cream & soap samples, but now that I've settled on my general routine, the initial investment is going to pay off - especially if I sell off some of my gear :biggrin1:
But to compare, I was spending $15 every 4-6 weeks for cartidges (one cartridge just won't last me more than 2 weeks, usually less, and I keep a beard, don't even shave my whole face!), and however much barbasol is every coupla months, so I'm probably breaking about even now, but I figure I'm pretty well set for 4-5 months, so yeah, definitely going to save, although good deals are hard to pass up! :w00t:

Have I saved money? ...It depends on how liberal you want to be in amortizing your asset acquisitions. I've spent more on single soaps than I've spent on a year's worth of canned gel, but then again I enjoy the soaps more. I've spent more on razors, but then again I've bought some fine razors that won't get discontinued, nor will I need new cartridges. So in the long run it's probably a push at best, but for the new skills I've acquired and the improvements in my skin and the friends I've picked up along the way, well, I couldn't put a price tag on that.

I didn't get into wetshaving to save money. About 2 years ago, I started looking for a better quality shave that didn't include constant battles with razor rash and ingrown hairs. I'm happy with the result and wouldn't willingly go back.

The budget impact of switching to a DE wasn't too bad. I tried a few different creams and blades, but didn't end up with a big stable of DE razors, brushes, or blades. My soaps and creams will eventually be used. (Although a single bottle of KMF Moisture Shave lasts me a LONG time.) I did buy a Shavemac brush and stand, which was a luxury, but I use it every day. Overall, I'm probably in the hole on my DE setup, but not too badly.

There are two areas that have turned into budget busters.

Straight razors. I have 5 razors, 2 strops, and 4 different hones. For a straight shaver, this is a fairly modest amount of stuff. I don't have any custom straights. For what I spent on straights and associated gear, I could have bought 10 years worth of cartridges.

Colognes. I've acquired 10 different colognes over the last two years. I still have two or three more on the list for eventual purchase. If I stopped right now, I probably wouldn't run out of cologne for 7-10 years. I have taken that too far and really need to pare back to just a few favorites.

Sure I've saved money on shaving; it's the hobby that costs a bit every now and then.

I'll buy an interesting soap or cream every so often, but that's a leisure/hobby purchase and is counted as separate from my toiletries.

Given that I could only get two shaves out of a cartridge and I get three out of a DE blade, that's already a 50% improvement in efficiency. Add to that the fact that I save ~$1.84/blade and it starts to look a little better. Since blades now last 50% longer, we could extrapolate a savings of ~$2.76 (1.84 + 50%) every three days on blades alone. This works out to ~$335.80 saved every year on blades, assuming shaving every single day.

Subtract the money I spend on razors ($60), the money I spent on soaps/creams ($100), and the money on my brush ($30), and the money I spent on my 1,000 Derbys ($120) that's still a net savings of about $25.80 in the first year. Since I don't have to buy blades, razors or brushes for a loooong time we can assume they won't be expenses for at least two years, meaning after the first year of DE wet-shaving completes I'll be saving ~$240 per year, assuming I still spend a few dollars on soaps and creams that catch my fancy.

Now, I plan to augment my savings by purchasing old razors from antique stores and selling them to fellow members and on Ebay. This will hopefully help offset the cost of future acquisitions and will be counted towards my net savings.

So there! You can save money doing this! :biggrin:

After dropping $100 + on my first shaving setup plus $20 more last week for Nivea AfterShave balm and a blade sampler pack, I have some time left before I can say I have saved any money. I originally thought that I would save money after my initial investment and was one of the reason's I switched. Why would I pay $12 for 5 blades when I can get 10 for $2.50?

Maybe in the long term if you used the same razor for 10 years and found 1 cream you liked and stuck with all of those you would come out ahead. Seems in general that people on this forum are unable to do this and have 10+ razors and creams the colors of the rainbow in addition to preshave and postshave balms and several expensive brushes, Id say this has become a very expensive hobby for some.

I can honestly say I have I got 2 straights and a few creams and some soaps and I have seen my spending habits diminished once I got in the groove of things.

Top Bottom