What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

From time to time I am asked what the major differences are between the different brush shapes. As always, I think a picture shows more than 100 words can describe.
Here are the three main types of shapes made by Shavemac: Bulb - Fan - Flattop
I was lucky to have three very similar sized knots on hand and took this side-by-side picture for you.View attachment 320799

How do different shapes effect performance? Is one better for face lathering? Bowl lathering? ...etc

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
It is always good to get some money in from the work you do, but it is also a great feeling when a customer is totally satisfied with my services:[FONT=&quot]
"Thank you for providing such an excellent service! The one problem most artisans have is poor customer service, but yours was great! [/FONT]"

That makes a great start into my busy Sunday - more brushes to make!!

Rudy, I haven't even bought your brush yet but it has been a pleasure to learn from you and share ideas! I can't wait to finally settle on what I want and get you working on mine!!!

Your service is un-rivaled in todays times!

Rudy Vey

Guys, a word of warning about the bad habit of soaking a brush overnight!
I just got an email from a customer who soaked his brand-new brush with a wooden handle overnight in water. Although the wood was resin stabilized, it is not meant to be soaked in water for a long period of time, like over night. The hair or bristles act as wicks and will soak water up and into the depth of the knot and eventually into the handle material. The stabilized wood is pretty much impervious to water and moisture in the normal use, i.e. soaking the hair in water prior to a shave while you take a shower - I do the same - does not do any harm.
There is absolutely no need to soak a brush over night! If you afraid your hair knot might be a bit dirty, don't worry too much. Just do a hand lather with a soap or cream a couple of times and you are fine! The knots are sterilized. I never understood why some guys soak brushes over night. As I said already, there is no need for it.
Any natural material, i.e. wood, horn, ivory etc can be harmed - I had a guy once destroying his brand new ivory brush by soaking it overnight in water as well because he had read it on shaving forum.
None of the big companies, like Simpson, Shavemac, Rooney, Kent etc do recommend this anywhere!!

Edit: There is also right now a discussion in the Shaving brushes forum, and someone posted a link to a discussion we had before on this issue, thought it cannot be wrong to put this in here, too:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/248708

Last edited:
The way I always interpreted the procedure was not to leave it soaking overnight, but rather to lather it and rinse a couple of times, then one final lather, and leave the soap in the brush to dry overnight, then rinse in the morning.
I read that it aids in getting the initial "bloom" and that the scent from the soap soaks into the hair to displace any animal smell remaining from the initial cleaning.

No offense but, I thought it was common knowledge not to soak any shave brush in water or another liquid over night.....

Thanks for confirming this!

I did what cb9 mention to my SOC when I got it last week and it made the brush bloom and softer.

I just followed what it said on the shave wiki. This is the first time doin it on one of my brushes.

The way I always interpreted the procedure was not to leave it soaking overnight, but rather to lather it and rinse a couple of times, then one final lather, and leave the soap in the brush to dry overnight, then rinse in the morning.
I read that it aids in getting the initial "bloom" and that the scent from the soap soaks into the hair to displace any animal smell remaining from the initial cleaning.

+3 on this. No brush needs to be soaked overnight or multiple hours...ever.

I like to present my RV3M here.

Rudy has been a pleasure to work with. His valuable advice, extensive knowledge and know how of brushes and the great service have made a dream come true: an hommage to the legendary AS3M. The faux ivory is beautiful. With a great shavemac knot as advised by Rudy and the exact dimensios kindly provided by Sameer, a fantastic project was realized!

I seriously candidate this for a B&B brush edition! It's a stylish brush, with great ergonomics and a classic in need of ressurection.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,140

Rudy has been a pleasure to work with. His valuable advice, extensive knowledge and know how of brushes and the great service have made a dream come true: an hommage to the legendary AS3M. The faux ivory is beautiful. With a great shavemac knot as advised by Rudy and the exact dimensios kindly provided by Sameer, a fantastic project was realized!

I seriously candidate this for a B&B brush edition! It's a stylish brush, with great ergonomics and a classic in need of ressurection.

congrats on your beautiful new brush! What are the specks for the knot?

Of all the Vendors on B&B there are only a few who are as responsive and courteous as Rudy. I'm amazed he has time to make the brushes he makes as it seems he is always posting something on the forum to help out. Congrats to you, Rudy, for knowing what true customer service is.

Of all the Vendors on B&B there are only a few who are as responsive and courteous as Rudy. I'm amazed he has time to make the brushes he makes as it seems he is always posting something on the forum to help out. Congrats to you, Rudy, for knowing what true customer service is.

+1.

How he manages to stay so courteous and patient is beyond me. He's a true craftsman who obviously has a great deal of passion and pleasure for what he does, and it shows in his work.

It's almost hard to resist hitting up every brush recommendation thread and telling them to just save time and money and go get themselves a custom masterpiece by Rudy.

I bought a brush from Rudy when he first became a vendor on B&B, and to be honest I didn't like the knot when he first sent me the pic, but he changed it and didn't even charge me a penny more. Rudy's brush is a regular in my rotation! He is truly a class act!

congrats on your beautiful new brush! What are the specks for the knot?

Shavemac D01 Two-band knot, 23/24 mm knot with a 48 mm loft in fan shape.

A fantastic choice of Rudy.
After only a couple of uses, it whipped up the best lather with my beloved Haslinger Ewe's.

Great idea! +100

Rudy Vey

Guys, I am on business trip for my job in Mexico and have only very limited access to the internet. All e-mails or pm's will be answered, just not with the normal Rudy Vey speed.
In the next days I should get also some new material in for handles: faux Briar - you may have seen it already used in some brushes from a known brushmaker.

Top Bottom