What's new

Wilkinson Sword

Ive seen a lot of people say that Wilkinson Sword blades are sharp and aggressive. I find this to be untrue. What do you think?

I started with Wilkinsons and Crystals. I now use Astra and Gillette Sharp Edge. Wilkinsons seem like shaving with a 3 day old cartridge..

Wilkinson were among my first blades. I was happy with them, I even bought 100... And one day they irritated me.

Then, I tried Feathers:001_wub:. I love them...

I suppose I should revisit the Wilkinson, just in case...

For me Wilkinson Sword feel very smooth, yet a bit rigid, and not very long lasting. They start by being smooth and sharp, and end up being a bit too harsh with my face, then what I would like. 2 shaves per blade only, but if I were to compare this to Astra SP, first shave is much better then Astra SP, second one being just noticeable enough worse then Astra SP. It feels like despite the fact that it has a very comfortable protection layer, it wears off pretty quickly, leaving a fairly harsh sharpness behind, comparable with Bic Chrome. This was actually the blade that I wished I could preserve the first shave feeling.

I used Wilkies in my superspeed and found they made a nice pairing. Ive found other blades work better with my open comb razors.

I find these blades inconsistent, had to bin too many blades in a package, approx. 20 %, at the first shave. Do they have to improve thier quality control at the manufacturing company? To me, yes they have. I won't waste money at these blades as there are many other good blades on the market.

I've now used 2 black (German made) packs from samplers and was able to get 2/3 really good maybe 3/4 ok shaves per blade. I did find them to be sharp but also somewhat a little aggressive with a slight weeper or burn here or there if I tried to get a little too close with it.

If I remember correctly, I believe that I read somewhere that the Wilkinson Sword company was originally split and sold. In spite of this, different factories in other countries continued production independently from each other. Because of this situation some like Wilkinson blades better or worse from one location or another? I read that the older English made Wilkinson's were for the most part some of the best blades ever made (very sharp and consistant).

Please chime-in on this one because a memory can be a funny thing indeed!:001_rolle

I have used the ones sold in Walmart, and I think they are fine. At this point I think there is no best blade but the one that is best for you.

That said, my sample is small thus far, and I haven't found the blade yet that made me go Wow!

At this point I think there is no best blade but the one that is best for you.

!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!

It's suprising how different blades work differently in different razors on different faces. Wet shaving is truly a YMMV. I like the Wal-mart Wilkies and they work great for me in early Superspeeds or Fatboys. I can get at least 5 to 7 good shaves with them. But in a Titan with an R plate, I get bad weepers and lots of irritation. And while using the M plate, they're way too mild, like shaving with a dull Gillette cartridge.

Last edited:
They are a good blade to me. I did change the way I face prep, which makes a world a difference. Now any blade I use gives me a great shave.

I've only done one shave with a Wal-Mart Wilkinson blade and was thoroughly unimpressed. I only have Merkurs and Astra SPs to compare it to but it just felt dull. I may revisit them at a later date but I'll be sticking to the Astra SPs for now...

Top Bottom