What's new

2nd Resto - Rubberset 400-3

Just picked one up and should have it early next week! I'll probably go with red accents, similar to Gigster's with a TGN 2-Band Bulb (my favorite knot thus far). I was thinking a 2-tone effect, polished one the outside and brushed on the parts of the hand that curve inward. Any thoughts/recommendations?

I was thinking a 2-tone effect, polished one the outside and brushed on the parts of the hand that curve inward. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Both Gigster and I had thought about doing the brushed channels, but the luster of the mirror finish was just too enchanting. Also, getting clean edges between the polished area, and the brushed portions is quite difficult. I'm thinking about doing this with one of my future 400s. I'm working on one right now that I'm seriously thinking of keeping the original knot, and mirror polishing the handle. Not certain yet...

Good luck Kostas1! Have fun with it! And, don't forget to share your results, please.

Just finished polishing up my 400-4. Bought it off eBay a while back ... actually in pretty solid condition all things considered. But with the results that Brian (OP) and Gigster got, I really wanted to try to get it nice and mirrored before changing the knot.

Before:
$$T2eC16dHJGwE9n)yUsZOBRGGobhUHg~~60_3.JPG

After:
$photo 1.jpg

$photo 2.jpg

It's not perfect, but I'm pretty darn happy with the results. It was actually hard to get a good picture because it's just too reflective! A million thanks on this go to Brian and by-way-of Brian, Gigster. I wouldn't have had the confidence to do it without the instruction.

I went: WD40/scouring brush -> 220 dry sand -> 220 wet sand -> 320 dry -> 320 wet -> 400 wet (all wet from here on out) -> 600 -> 800 -> 1000 -> 1500 -> 2000 -> 2500 -> 3000 -> 3M rubbing compound x 4 -> PlastX x 3

Before I completely finish it, I'm going to give it a wax-on/wax-off treatment just with my regular car wax.

I'm going to do a bright Dodger blue ring and matching paint for the "4". I'm still contemplating the knot. I actually just bought another 400 that will have a TGN Super Silvertip 24mm, so for this one I'm thinking TGN Finest Fan 24mm. But I have this weird temptation to try to go crazy on this one and put in a 24 mm Italian Badger Kabuki knot in black. We'll see.

More pics to come, and please send your suggestions about knots/colors ... I love that kind of input. Proud to have joined the 400-army!

I also got mine for under $20. I've seen them go on eBay for anywhere from $10-$40 depending on condition of the brush, and of course, timing. At least for the few months I was watching, both extremes of that range were less common than somewhere in the middle. I've only been tracking them for a few months though, so other people might have different experiences. I'm sure they pop up in the BST from time to time.

Even if you don't have any of the materials for the restore laying around, they would cost less than $30 to buy, and then you'd have them for other projects.

Just a quick update. Received my knot from TGN yesterday, and got it set. It's a 24mm Finest Fan set at a loft of 49.5mm. I love everything about the way this brush looks ... can't wait to give it a few test runs tomorrow.

$photo 3.jpg

Just a quick update. Received my knot from TGN yesterday, and got it set. It's a 24mm Finest Fan set at a loft of 49.5mm. I love everything about the way this brush looks ... can't wait to give it a few test runs tomorrow.

That looks spectacular! Congratulations, and enjoy! You earned it!

Last edited:
There have been many great restorations in this forum, but these have to be at the top of the heap! Better than any retail brush even!

i just searched for one on the Internet. Did one of you guys just snag one on Etsy for $21?!?! It sold today.

Last edited:
As a result of the awesome restorations in this thread, I got #3 off eBay. I am in the process of cleaning it up. Wet sanding right now and should have it done soon.

The epoxy finally fully cured and I gave the brush its first test run!

This knot is great. It's my first TGN Finest, and it's already performing beautifully after 3 test lathers. I was worried about getting the loft right, and I was worried I left it too high to be my primary face latherer. But I think I just got lucky where I put it. Plenty of backbone for face lathering, but it's high enough to splay the way I like and the flowthrough is excellent.
$photo 3 copy.jpg

First bloom (and a peak at my other re-knotted but not yet restored 400 top-right):
$photo 2.jpg

Still lots of break-in to go, but so far this is my favorite knot.
$photo 4.jpg

Top Bottom