What's new

2nd Resto - Rubberset 400-3

If anyone has a 4, and is looking for a 3, I have one that I would be more than happy to trade. I still need to get my hands on a restore-able 400-4. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

I'm working on my 400/4 now. Is there a trick to get the top part removed from the bottom part? Mine is seized on there very tightly.

I'm working on my 400/4 now. Is there a trick to get the top part removed from the bottom part? Mine is seized on there very tightly.

I read in a post on another forum that one guy had an easier time unscrewing the collar (ferrule) after steaming the brush for 30 minutes. YMMV, and I just twisted the heck out of mine until it came loose.

I read in a post on another forum that one guy had an easier time unscrewing the collar (ferrule) after steaming the brush for 30 minutes. YMMV, and I just twisted the heck out of mine until it came loose.

I gave it a quick blast with my steam wand on my espresso machine. Probably about 10 seconds.

I checked Gigster's original thread and he mentioned he had used a body piercing o-ring and that they come in a lot of colors. I checked oringsusa.com and they have every color you could ever want.

I checked Gigster's original thread and he mentioned he had used a body piercing o-ring and that they come in a lot of colors. I checked oringsusa.com and they have every color you could ever want.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to pick a color from their site, and place an order. If you can figure that out, please share. :)

After seeing the great results chronicled in this thread-- nice work, guys! :drool: -- I decided to try my hand at a Rubberset 400 restoration. My initial searches on eBay weren't turning up much, but I spotted this BIN lot a week or so ago and snatched it up for $19.99:

$Rubberset 400.JPG

The package arrived yesterday, and I'm eager to begin working on the brush restoration. Mine does not have a number, which is mildly disappointing, but I can definitely live with that. There are no major dents or dings in the handle, but there's a bit of corrosion (the white, powdery variety-- with no obvious signs of pitting) where the top and bottom join. I guess the first step is to work on getting the handle apart; I'll probably try steaming it first.

Incidentally, the flare tip Super Speed, which I wasn't particularly interested in since I already have a few, cleaned up nicely. I shaved with it this morning, in fact. :thumbup1:

Nice catch! I think the no number 400s look cool too, just because they don't have a number. I need to pick one up without a number. Good luck! We look forward to seeing your finished product!

Indeed, eventually a 24mm knot will hit the threaded portion of the handle and limit how low you can set it. I don't recall the exact number, but it should be easy enough to figure out once the knot is removed by measuring from the top of the collar down to the threads. Using an O-ring will give you a tiny bit more room, depending how hard you screw it down. I know that it would have gone to 48, because that was originally where I was going to set mine. At that loft, there was a tiny bit of room left to sink the knot, but I don't think it would go all the way down to 46mm. Sorry, my knots are set, so I can't give you reliable measurements.

As soon as I get the knot removed from mine, I'll try to take some measurements and will post them. Incidentally, I was able to remove the collar last night simply by running hot tap water over it for a couple of minutes, then securing the handle in a padded jaws vise and using a small strap wrench to loosen the collar. The knot is set well-- any suggestions on how best to remove it? I'd like to get it out intact, if possible, but am prepared to drill it if that's what it takes. I'm thinking a punch gently tapped from the bristle side might do the trick. Suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

I encountered the same issue, Josh. I was too lazy to break out my steamer, so I resorted to running hot tap water over the collar for a couple of minutes, then while it was still hot, ran out to the garage, secured the handle in a vice with padded jaws and used a small strap wrench to unscrew the collar. It was on there tight-- there was a bit of white, powdery corrosion on the threads-- but the collar loosened without a tremendous amount of twisting. Once apart, I checked for any damage to the threads and there was none. As an aside, these handles appear to be very well made-- among other things, the cast aluminum is thicker than I expected-- so I suspect they can sustain a fair amount of rough treatment.

Good luck on getting yours apart. Others who used the steam method may be able to offer better advice.

Top Bottom