What's new

2nd Resto - Rubberset 400-3

I picked this one up on a whim, and ended up finding inspiration in a 400-3 done by Gigster. I actually found his pics on a knife forum, and asked him for any tips he could provide. He gave me an extremely helpful, and quite detailed email on how to polish the aluminum to mirror finish. I'm not going to get into all of the details of my ordeal, but I will say that I resanded and repolished 3 times, and topped my brush with a TGN 24mm Grade A Silvertip. I also wanted to differentiate my style slightly, while paying homage to Gigster's fine work. Without further ado, here is my 2nd Resto, my Rubberset 400-3. Process and completed shots to follow shortly...

$1fromBay.jpg $2fromBay.jpg $2013-01-28 17.53.34 (Medium).jpg

After first polishing, before sanding- notice small dents and dings throughout. (This was about where I found Gigster's knife forum thread, and he directed my further efforts):
$2013-01-30 09.29.58 (Medium).jpg

320 grit sanding in handle grooves, and around collar:
$2013-02-02 15.19.00 (Medium).jpg

After 3000 grit wet sanding most fine dents are gone:
$2013-02-02 16.18.42 (Medium).jpg

Finished product- mostly mirror polished, but a few tiny dings that were too deep to cure. Leaves a little character, I guess. The 3 is black, with a matching black o-ring. That is in homage to Gigster's original red detailed 400-3. Thanks a million Gigster!
$2013-02-09 09.23.07.jpg

That thread by Gigster is awesome and makes me want to find one of these as well. But you're giving him a run for his money sir! Looks great!!

I did like Gigster's red details better, and he even told me right where he got the o-ring, but it didn't feel right to make an exact copy for my first 400. I appreciate all of the compliments. This thing took some work, but it was well worth it to me.

In the final shot, the brush is sitting on an old wooden pulley from Hudson Bay Tools. My dad lacquered it when I was younger, and it passed to me about ten years ago. I think I'm going to use it for all of my vintage shots, at least.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Here are a few more shots that were in the running, but didn't make first pick for my earlier final shot.

$2013-02-08 12.45.06 (Medium).jpg $2013-02-08 12.50.47 (Medium).jpg $2013-02-09 09.18.40 (Medium).jpg

This one is currently my desktop wallpaper
$2013-02-09 09.26.10 (Medium).jpg

And a shot I'm using for SOTD
$Snapseed_52.jpg

Thanks again to Gigster for sharing so much knowledge, and making this brush possible. I will cherish it for years to come. Perhaps it will even become an heirloom.

In case anyone is wondering, here are my specs:

- Rubberset 400-3 handle
- TGN 24mm Grade A Silvertip w/67mm loft out of handle
- Set to 50mm loft
- Handle height 80mm
- 130mm overall height

Oh you're killing me with these pics!! Man I'm gonna have to pick one of these up. Yours looks so good!

I just hope that this thread and pics will be as inspirational for the next 400 restorer as Gigster's was for me. I would like to start a 400 Club. :) Who thinks I should start a thread to bring other (potential) 400s out of the woodwork?...

24mm TGN Finest. Bulb might be a little stiff at that loft, so maybe Fan?

This was the exact knot I was thinking of putting into mine. Just picked up a 400-4 myself, plan to do the restoration in the coming weeks.

Do the 400-1,2,3,4 differ from each other?

I'd definitely be interested to see a 400-club thread with pictures! Especially as a resource as I do mine!

Top Bottom