What's new

Is rose a masculine scent?

I'm curious, because I love the smell. But my girlfriend said it reminds her of her grandmother. Is rose a man's scent or strictly for the girls?

I like the rose in Old Spice, and Rose 31 opened the door after that. I since bought a bottle of Saint Charles Shave Savory Rose, and the other day found Tea Rose by Perfumers Workshop. The Tea Rose smells like a tamed version of Savory Rose, but it's marketed strictly as a woman's fragrance. I find it would work very well with a modern suit... or am I crazy here?

Rose has traditionally been a men's scent. Many shaving creams/ shaving soaps of the past were sold to men, and had rose scents. Lavender was also traditionally a men's scent.

For example Yardley Shaving Soap (still regarded today as one of the Holy Grail Shaving Soaps) was lavender scented, and Williams Mug Soap once came in a shaving stick form that had a rose scent. They also sold a variation of their standard Mug Soap called Williams Luxury that had a rose scent.

Floral scents being the realm of females is a more recent marketing trend; but not exclusively, since some very popular scents such Cool Water, Aqua Di Gio, Green Irish Tweed still have floral notes.

Last edited:
I think rose has been a traditionally been considered a masculine scent. Today, rose scents can be either "feminine" or "masculine". A good one to try if you like Le Labo Rose 31 would be DC 1913. I consider Creed Windsor to be the best rose scent out there but it is hard to find and $$$$$$.

Traditionally yes. Goes all the way back thousands of years to the beginning of Middle Eastern perfumery. For my part though, while I enjoy a rose note every now and then, if it's the dominant smell it just makes me think of an aunt or grandmother's boudoir.

I think that Rose is a confident man's scent, you make it masculine.

These guys seem to make Rose work for them:wink2:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm thinking you should have put axl in the second last pic, not slash, to go with the 'surname of rose' thing you were trying to do....

I love rose scents.
I am very masculine.
Rose is a masculine scent.

:closedeye

I agree with that logic. I love my strong rose/woody fragrances, in particular Chanel's Egoiste and anything by Montale. Rose can certainly be masculine or feminine depending on its sweetness and any other supporting notes.
Rose shaving creams are also terrific, but they're more a rosewater scent than a rose petal scent.

No scents are masculine or feminine. Scents are just that: scents. That said, there are societal norms -- not to mention good ol' marketing -- that dictate what is & isn't "masculine" or "feminine."

The bottom line is that you need to be comfortable with whatever scent you're wearing. There are guys on this forum who rock certain scents that that I could never see myself wearing. Otoh, I love rose, and I've worn pure rose oil on occasion. Last time I checked, my masculinity was still intact. So it's all about your own comfort level. If you're comfortable & confident in yourself, everything else follows.

PS: You might want to gently suggest to your girlfriend that perhaps the reason gramma wore rose was because the scent reminded her of her dad. :wink:

Last edited:
I guess i will be the first to say not masculine. I tried the T&H Rose in the sample pack and liked the performance, but the smell reminded of little old ladies.

Haven't smelled T&H rose, so can't comment on that one. But T&H is a shaving cream, and a shaving cream is a far cry from a carefully-blended scent that's meant to be worn throughout the day.

Moreover, no 2 rose scents are alike. If you sample various scents such as C&S's #88 and/or Le Labo's Rose 31 and/or Montale's Black Aoud, you'll see what I mean.

Rose fragrances had always kind of scared me. My grandmother always smelled of rose and, though I loved her, had non interest in smelling like her. Creed Windsor changed my thoughts on rose completely. Not only do I not smell like my grandmother when wearing it, I smell better than just about everyone. It is the best fragrance I've ever worn. The success with Windsor emboldened me and I tried Montale's Black Aoud. This was the second rose fragrance that just blew me away. Since then, I've not hesitated to try something that is rose centered.

Just look at the increasing number of unisex fragrances on the market. That right there tells you that the lines are being blurred all the time.

I wouldn't say rose is masculine or feminine. To me, it's traditional and regal. I like to use it on days of special occasions. I think a lot of people associate the scent to a grandma and/or aunt because they always had rose guest soaps in their bathroom. SWMBO does that. But that is just an individual reaction based on past associations with that scent. If you like the scent, then enjoy it proudly.

Top Bottom