What's new

The legendary Hammam Boquet

I meant to say earlier that Luca Turin said about the one, essentially, "[it must have been great at one time,] but the modern version feels a little harsh, no doubt because many materials are no longer obtainable or affordable." By modern version he is probably speaking of something in the past 20 years. This scent smells at bit like Johnson's baby oil to me. I do not love it.

I also enjoy many of the British scents. In addition to the Penhaligons scents mentioned, I like Sartorial, Juniper Sling, As Sawira, and of course, English Fern. I also like T&H Apsley, Floris 89, and D.R. Harris Arlington and Windsor. I really like the scent of D.R. Harris Sandalwood A/S, but the matching EdT is't quite the same, although the A/S is strong enough that one probably doesn't need an EdT.

The mention of Hammam Bouquet has roused me from my slumber. I agree with The Knize about the baby oll note. It also has some kind of lingering repellent feel to it. Perhaps the most horrible fragrance produced by a major house that I've ever experienced.

Hey, Chris! Sorry to wake you! :) Just kidding, I am happy to rouse you. Always great to have your comments.

I would not go as far as you do, and providing the usual caveats, scents are subjective, YMMV, etc., etc., but it is one of the few honored scents, from a major and lauded house, even controversial scents, that I do not "get," except perhaps as an artifact from some earlier time, when tastes were different. And I like some unusual stuff.

For that matter, I do not know that I dislike the smell of baby oil. But the baby oil notes in HB seem to turn me off. For that matter, I do not think I have any bad associations with Turkish baths!

I really enjoyed the weight of the scent, but didn't use much. It lightens up considerably on the dry down. Yes, it is definitely old fashioned, but that suits me just fine.

One of my favourite scents, if not my actual favourite scent. I don't know how the current offering smells like though as all my bottles are from the 90's.

Top Bottom