What's new

My Wife Reviews WK DM Rose

Hey guys and gals!

We received our package from Wholly Kaw and my wife got to take their rose scent on its maiden voyage. I ordered Chypre Rose Concerto as well as the Fougere Bouquet donkey milk soaps, with the aftershave balms to match both.

Being newbies in the world of DE shaving, these are our first full size tubs of any shaving soaps. We have tried 4 samples of barrister and mann prior to receiving these.

After shaving with the Chypre Rose Concerto, here are my wife's thoughts:

-"I like the rose smell of this soap a lot! It is a very good rose smell, but it also isn't feminine. I think it is a very gender neutral rose that can be worn by a man or a woman."
--So for all you guys out there worried about the rose scent being too "girly", you don't have to worry about it.

-"The lather is very slick, but it isn't a slippery or a slimy feeling lather. It feels like I'm not sliding around like crazy and the texture isn't gross. Also, when I was shaving with it, I couldn't even feel the blade at all, but I was taking off hairs and got a great shave."
--In other words, the lather provided a very smooth and protective shave, in her opinion.

After the shave she applied the balm and didn't honestly say much about it, the smell matched the shaving soap perfectly though. All she really said was that she liked it and it felt great.

All in all, I haven't yet shaved with either of these soaps, as I am waiting for my new brush to come in tomorrow. The wife loves the soap for sure and said she prefers it over the multiple samples of B&M we tried. When I shave tomorrow I will be using the Fougere and will do a separate review on that scent.

(as an aside: I am new to the forums so I am open to any advice you may have for me in regards to posting here and such.)

Thanks for taking the time to read, have a great night all.

I'm a bit envious that you are jumping into such a nice soap right off the bat! :)
Although having gone through many lesser performing soaps, I really appreciate WK DM...
You might even be able to avoid a soap acquisition disorder this way. :)
Welcome to B&B and enjoy those soaps!

Great post! You made a wonderful choice getting WhollyKaw donkey milk. You’ll be spoiled forever. Do follow up with your opinion after you try it. I’m just envious you got yours already...my newly-released WK Coconut doesn’t arrive until tomorrow..

Haha thanks guys! When I see people everywhere regarding it as #1, I felt it was the best place to start. Honestly wasnt too fond of the B&M samples I got, which made it easier to change up to a full tub of something else. I do still plan on trying Cella some day, but more out of curiosity than anything.

Frenchy when you get that coconut scent, let me know if it is a natural coconut smell or more of a sweet coconut.

Frenchy when you get that coconut scent, let me know if it is a natural coconut smell or more of a sweet coconut.

I will. As WK uses essential oils rather than fragrance oils I’d expect it to be more of a natural scent. But...stay tuned....Their lime/lavender combination using only essential oils in Lav Sublime is amazing! Not too intense...a just right, natural scent with incredible donkey milk base performance...

Sometimes starting at the top is cheaper in the long run. I personally believe any new shaver would benefit from a true high quality soap. WK is up there, so good choice.

Sometimes starting at the top is cheaper in the long run. I personally believe any new shaver would benefit from a true high quality soap. WK is up there, so good choice.

Yeah I agree with you totally. In every hobby I have participated, I have always been one to research heavily before i buy anything.

I'm a firm believer in "buy once, cry once".

Yeah I agree with you totally. In every hobby I have participated, I have always been one to research heavily before i buy anything.

I'm a firm believer in "buy once, cry once".
Others I can highly recommend are Grooming Dept., Declaration Grooming, Tallow and Steel, Saponificio Varesino, and Sudsy Soapery. All great performers.

Others I can highly recommend are Grooming Dept., Declaration Grooming, Tallow and Steel, Saponificio Varesino, and Sudsy Soapery. All great performers.

Very nice, i appreciate the recommendations. I plan on trying cella when i get through these 2 tubs, but that may change. We will see!

Very nice, i appreciate the recommendations. I plan on trying cella when i get through these 2 tubs, but that may change. We will see!
I think you will find that Cella reviews are all over the map. When I started out I thought I would love Cella given what I'd read and the fact that I love almond scents. But I never got it to perform for me. I tried it again after I had been wet shaving for a while and still didn't really like it. Having said that, there are many who swear by it.

I think you will find that Cella reviews are all over the map. When I started out I thought I would love Cella given what I'd read and the fact that I love almond scents. But I never got it to perform for me. I tried it again after I had been wet shaving for a while and still didn't really like it. Having said that, there are many who swear by it.

Yeah, i have noticed that it gets a few mixed reviews. By the time i get through these WK soaps, who knows what i will be excited about trying.

Hey guys and gals!

We received our package from Wholly Kaw and my wife got to take their rose scent on its maiden voyage. I ordered Chypre Rose Concerto as well as the Fougere Bouquet donkey milk soaps, with the aftershave balms to match both.

Being newbies in the world of DE shaving, these are our first full size tubs of any shaving soaps. We have tried 4 samples of barrister and mann prior to receiving these.

After shaving with the Chypre Rose Concerto, here are my wife's thoughts:

-"I like the rose smell of this soap a lot! It is a very good rose smell, but it also isn't feminine. I think it is a very gender neutral rose that can be worn by a man or a woman."
--So for all you guys out there worried about the rose scent being too "girly", you don't have to worry about it.

-"The lather is very slick, but it isn't a slippery or a slimy feeling lather. It feels like I'm not sliding around like crazy and the texture isn't gross. Also, when I was shaving with it, I couldn't even feel the blade at all, but I was taking off hairs and got a great shave."
--In other words, the lather provided a very smooth and protective shave, in her opinion.

After the shave she applied the balm and didn't honestly say much about it, the smell matched the shaving soap perfectly though. All she really said was that she liked it and it felt great.

All in all, I haven't yet shaved with either of these soaps, as I am waiting for my new brush to come in tomorrow. The wife loves the soap for sure and said she prefers it over the multiple samples of B&M we tried. When I shave tomorrow I will be using the Fougere and will do a separate review on that scent.

(as an aside: I am new to the forums so I am open to any advice you may have for me in regards to posting here and such.)

Thanks for taking the time to read, have a great night all.

Great!

Great review! I agree with the consensus that starting with top-notch soaps is an excellent way to go.

If you really want to try an italian almond soap, I would recommend Valobra Almond. It's quite nice. :)
Good luck in your journey!

Very nice post. It helps because they do not offer a sample of this one so it is always helpful reading a description of it. I think I will be ordering this soon.

I had ordered 5 samples of WK soap and just received them today together with a full jar of King of Oud. We rated each fragrance in our family (wife and son) and all 3 agreed that King of Oud had the best. Excited to try it tomorrow

Last edited:
Top Bottom