What's new

Any interest in another group buy for Japanese style kitchen knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
me me me me please !!!!!!!!!

how about some decent damascus at a decent price ??????

A billet of "decent" damascus can take a smith a full day to make, its just not an option as a group buy at a price point that we have worked from in the past.

Do you have a specific maker in mind?

Jim , sorry but I must confess my lack of knowledge on japanese knives . I just got my first damascus Al Mar japanese made utility knife . It is my first jump into good kitchen steel , and will not be my last ! I am open to any makers . What about kenetsune ( SP ) ? I have read good things about SHUN , from Kershaw ?

What IMHO would be the cats meow would be if we can find a smaller japanese knife maker , or more better a small production maker - shop who could crank out in modest numbers some semi custom knives to our specs . Not that I am saying a full custon knife or one off's as that would be very , very , very , expensive . I just think either a group discount on production blades , or a smaller maker who can work with us would be the ticket IMHO .

So what say you guys . Am I on the right track , or not ?????

moses

Jim , on second thought the Damascus would be nice . But how about nice carbon line of knifes made in japan for a budget price . Kind of like a ford F 150 of japanese kitchen cutlery ? Yes damascus is great , but with the economy the way it is I can understand why most would shy away .

IMHO , I would perfer a high carbon blade . My reason is yes they are more difficult to keep from rusting , but they take a SCARY SHARP EDGE !!! I for one take care of my knives , and guns , so keeping them oiled and clean is not a issue for me . Plus , it has the added benefit of carbon being much much cheaper then some of the high end japanese super stainless steels that can be ubber expensive . I have some hunting knives in san mai , and powdered steel , and they can get very high dollar . just check out fallkniven knives to see what I mean .

So how about it guys . A carbon line of cutlery at a budget price ??????

I do need a good knife (how about cooking lessons, Jim?), I'll keep up with this thread but will defer to everyone else's wisdom.

Glad to see you around again, Moses! Keep out of trouble :lol:

This sounds interesting. As a retired Chef I have used German or American made knives. I know nothing about Japanese knives.

Sir , a few ? if you dont mind ?

What knives did you use as a Pro chef ? what is your opinion of henckles and the victronox - forshners ( SP ) line of cooking knives ? I am just starting to build my cooking knives collection , and would like to add some american - european style cutlery to the mix . I am a life long knife collector , but never cooking - chef knives and I am in need of some education here ? Can you post some names of blades you like or used ? How about some links if possible ??? thanks chef !!!!! moses

Hi Folks,

Not sure if this is any use to you, but I got my Japanese kitchen knives from this guy...

http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/

They're hand forged, and he'll make to order - and his shipping to me in the UK was reasonably priced and quick. There are various grades (it's an, erm, interesting site to navigate, but it's all there somewhere), and the cutting steel layer is very hard (Rc60-64 mainly) and takes a very good edge - I got mostly hammer-finished black ones, but there are prettier finishes if you want them.

I've no connections at all, other than being a happy customer.

So... group buy ;) ... we've been talking about it a bit in the background (i've had a few guys e-mail me about it). I think this time we want to try to keep it simple and easy. Just to throw out some ideas (nothing is set in stone yet)... maybe we can do something like a 240mm gytuo and 150mm petty or maybe 240mm gytuos in stainless and carbon. Or maybe you guys have something different in mind. There are a lot of available options out there and i have access to way more now than i did last time we did one of these.

A few questions for the masses... what kind of price range would you like to do this in? We can stick to the near $100 range or maybe $150-200. Or maybe something else? If you guys can give me a bit better idea of what would work for you, i can put together some real options and we can go from there.

Also, it seems like Dave Martell will be on board too, so no need to worry about how sharp they will come ;)

Is this with the same vendor as the first offering? I note the original, unedited post from yesterday asked for opinion on makers, et cetera

Is this with the same vendor as the first offering? I note the original, unedited post from yesterday asked for opinion on makers, et cetera

Yes Jon from JKI will be our point man. as I said in post #4 If you have a maker in mind then feel free to throw it into the mix.

Hi Folks,

Not sure if this is any use to you, but I got my Japanese kitchen knives from this guy...

http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/

They're hand forged, and he'll make to order - and his shipping to me in the UK was reasonably priced and quick. There are various grades (it's an, erm, interesting site to navigate, but it's all there somewhere), and the cutting steel layer is very hard (Rc60-64 mainly) and takes a very good edge - I got mostly hammer-finished black ones, but there are prettier finishes if you want them.

I've no connections at all, other than being a happy customer.

I'll second that!
Shinichi Watanabe is a great knive maker, and a pleasure to work with!

Watanabe made me a perfect Santoku, with Shiro uchi blue steel between stainless steel for only 25 USD extra.

I would certainly love e.g. a small nakiri knife!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom