What's new

Vintage Avon find

Keeping the thread alive! Today:

full

Almost passed on these, since by now I have enough vintage Wild Country to drown a moose. Next weekend is an outdoor antique festival in Braselton, with multi-state vendors traveling in. Should be some tasty pickings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by a church rummage tonight, picked up a "Breaker 19" bottle with some Wild Country in it for a dime.

Similar to the 3 car bottles I picked up at a thrift store for a $1.00 each. One was filled with Spicy and the other 2 have Tribute.:biggrin1:

I picked up King and Queen Chess pieces (both in Spicy), Collectors Pipe (Deep Woods), Bulldog Pipe (Wild Country), And an Indian Chieftain (Empty) all for $1 each. I also got a '36 ford (Tai Winds) fo $5.

Also in the last moth, I've found a Viking Horn (Blue Blazer), Futura (Excalibur), Gold Top Boot (Leather), Wild Turkey (Wild Country), Capitol Decanter, Big Game Rhino (Tai Winds), and Majestic Elephant (empty).

I am in search of the Mini-Bike. There are two pieces I vividly remember seeing in my Grandparents bathroom: Avon Open Golf Cart and the Mini-Bike. I have the golf cart, now I need the bike. I should also ask Grandma if she knows what other bottles she had, or if any of them are still around.

Good stuff, KJ! I can't seem to find any Blue Blazer. Any remarks on that juice?

The Viking Horn and Futura decanters are also on my wish list, so you killed two of my Big Birds with one stone on that VH/BB score. Now if you had found the Futura in Island Lime, I would have freaked right out.

Good stuff, KJ! I can't seem to find any Blue Blazer. Any remarks on that juice?

The Viking Horn and Futura decanters are also on my wish list, so you killed two of my Big Birds with one stone on that VH/BB score. Now if you had found the Futura in Island Lime, I would have freaked right out.

Only used Blue Blazer once. Kinda had that typical old Avon scent, maybe akin to leather or something. I'd have to try it again to see.

I might be interested in trading it. PM me.

You'll be searching to the ends of the Earth for Futura with Island Lime. It only came in Excalibur cologne or Wild Country cologne.
There's probably a few more, but Island lime came in the following bottles: Gavel, Defender Cannon, Super Cycle, Straight 8, and Pony Post “Tall”. I wouldn't mind trying that one myself.

Last edited:
Found a few more good ones this weekend, bought in a lot, at nice pricing. A few loose pieces, but most in boxes.

• Liberty Bell, 5oz Tribute AS (full)
  • Pot-Belly Stove, 5oz Bravo AS (full)
  • Sea Trophy, 5.5oz Windjammer AS (full)
  • Dune Buggy, 5oz Spicy AS (full)
  • Iron Horse Shaving Mug with 7oz Deep Woods AS (full)
full

• Quail Decanter, 5.5oz Blend 7 AS (full)
  • Canadian Goose, 5oz Deep Woods Cologne (full)
  • Dutch Pipe, 2oz Tribute Cologne (full)
full

• 1926 Checker Cab (empty, I just wanted the cool decanter)
  • Remember When Gas Pump, 4oz Deep Woods AS (full)
  • '36 Ford, 4oz Tai Winds AS (70% full)
full

And a few oddities
  • Snoopy's Pal, doggy bowl soap-dish with bone soaps (these smell VERY tallowy)
  • Country Kitchen, scoop soap-dish with apple soaps
  • Breath Fresh, 8oz mouthwash
full

I've passed on most of the Avon I've found lately, either because I already have some or the price was too high. Glad to see some of the great finds you guys have been having!

I picked up a couple at the local Catholic Charity store. One of the Iron Horse shave mug and aftershave (Deep Woods) new in the box for 50 cents and a Magic Lantern with Spicey for a dollar. I also saw some Avon at a resale shop ran by a local nursing home, did not buy anything the first trip but I do plan on going back someday.

I picked up a couple at the local Catholic Charity store. One of the Iron Horse shave mug and aftershave (Deep Woods) new in the box for 50 cents and a Magic Lantern with Spicey for a dollar. I also saw some Avon at a resale shop ran by a local nursing home, did not buy anything the first trip but I do plan on going back someday.

Nice price for the boxed mug and AS! Mine was about $2 in this lot. I've seen the naked mugs priced at $12 in some antique stores!

John, Impressed that you have found so much, and at good prices. There's a bunch at a local store, but they want $5-$9 each, and I'm just not going to pay those prices. I think I've picked out the most desirable pieces anyway. Wish I had more time to scour thrift stores. That's where you find the best deals.

Thanks, KJ. I got lucky at the monthly antique show in Flowery Branch; found a vendor with a good Avon stash, and they tend to wheel-and-deal very liberally if you're willing to buy several pieces. The same guy had a shoe-box full of razors, and I picked out six with a couple surprising nice finds (Brits)! They're in clean-up now, but I'll probably post pics in the Safety Razor forum in the next day or two.

I keep trying the Goodwills and other thrift stores, because I really want to be scoring like Tom does. Bupkus, so far, but you never know.... :001_smile

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am really enjoying this thread. My mother sold avon, so I remember most of what I am seeing.

OK, back in the game. I found this boxed Liberty Bell full of Tribute yesterday evening at a flea market for $2. The box is a bit beat up but the bottle's full. I passed on an identical mint boxed bell because it had Oland in it, and I don't care much for it's scent.

PS: Look in the vintage and unusual aftershave sticky for another bell I found at the same place.

proxy.php

A little scoring today:

full

• "On The Level," 3oz Deep Woods AS (full)
  • "Extra Special Male" (Mail), 3oz Everest AS (full)
  • "'31 Greyhound," 5oz Spicy AS (full)
  • "Remember When" Gas Pump, 4oz Light Musk AS (90% full, never knew of this fragrance before)

:a50:
It's not really Avon, but FINALLY I found some Shulton Old Spice! There was about 5oz of strongly and beautifully scented juice in the lighthouse. The label sticker was missing, so I don't know if it was cologne, or perhaps AS concentrated by evaporation. I decanted it into the OS Flying Cloud milkglass decanter that had a screw-on cap with a better seal (and which I had found empty at a yard sale for $0.75).

I went to a garage sale today with the wife that had about a dozen Avon bottles but they were all empty. None of them was special enough for me to buy and try to refill.

Prices were 50 cents or a dollar each.

Top Bottom