What's new

Vintage Avon find

Guys, thanks for the comments. I'm not really an A/S kind of person so I can't remember what Old Spice smells like. In fact, this is the only A/S that I own. I'm thinking that this is the original Spicy since it does smell that way and the label is similar to Hoosier Trooper's earlier photo. I did a quick search on ebay for Avon men's stuff and it seems that his bottle is from around 1963. If you look at the earlier, rounded bottles from 1950, mine is somewhere in between the two and has the same cap as the 1963 bottle.

Tom has gotten me into more stuff here on B&B than I can almost remember. First it was GEM's, then it was Schicks, now it's Avon. So Tom, to quote someone else (inaccurately it turns out if you look it up in wiki), "Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into!" :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

View attachment 153997

:lol:You're welcome. I think.:lol:

The wife and I hit 5 thrift\resale shops yesterday and today I went to the local fleamarket at the mall. I did not find a single vintage Avon A\S bottle.:angry:

your kidding? I can't kick them out of the way fast enough. But try and find anything Old Spice that isn't online, then I know what your talking about.

There is one Avon that I've been tempted to buy for the last few weeks, it's in the shape of an Old Time gas pump. Like this:

proxy.php

And full of something. They want $4, but I'm only willing to go $3. $4 without the original box seems excessive.

-jim

There is one Avon that I've been tempted to buy for the last few weeks, it's in the shape of an Old Time gas pump. Like this:

<snip>

And full of something. They want $4, but I'm only willing to go $3. $4 without the original box seems excessive.

Well, nothing exceeds like excess in my book, Jim. If you'll allow me a small enabling nudge: most of the full bottles in good shape have cost me $5-8, with nice NIB decanters going for $10 or more. I've only rarely found them less expensive (and NEVER yet for the deals Tom turns up), but considering they typically hold 4-8oz of high-quality product (IMO), these are very bargain-priced compared to most comparable brands of modern AS. Avon gets $15 for 3.4oz of Wild Country nowadays (and the old stuff smells better and lasts longer). Plus, you dig that bottle, right? If I saw a gas-pump decanter for sale at $4 with contents, it would disappear instantly, even if I had to shake down the couch cushions and suffer some wifely disapproval.

The wife and I hit 5 thrift\resale shops yesterday and today I went to the local fleamarket at the mall. I did not find a single vintage Avon A\S bottle.:angry:

These things are masters of camouflage. They're typically not prominently featured. One must develop a trained eye! There are lots of ex Avon Ladies sitting on hoards of these things, methinks. I sign the wish list when I stop at the shops, and usually spend a few minutes chatting up the proprietor so they'll notify their vendors. I've gotten several calls this way that led to good finds.

your kidding? I can't kick them out of the way fast enough. But try and find anything Old Spice that isn't online, then I know what your talking about.

proxy.php

-jim

Was it this one GC? If so, I wouldn't pay $4 for it either, especially since I only paid $1 for it and it's full of Wild Country.:lol:

proxy.php

Picked the Indian Head bottle yesterday at a flea market for only a buck. It was empty, but now it's filled with Dollar General Brut.:biggrin1: The last pic is my vintage Avon bottle collection thus far.:001_cool:

I was digging through some boxes and found this little item. It is full of Everest AS and smells great. I was at an auction a while back and bid on a set of boxes that people did not want ($1.00 for 4 boxes). Needless to say I made my money back and more and found all kinds of other goodies in the boxes. This was the only Avon product.

proxy.php

Just won an auction on the bay for the following ($22.99 shipped; I was the only bidder. Seller claims all are full, and unused)!! :w00t::w00t::thumbup::thumbup:

I already have the Pawn from a previous score, so I now have the complete set of chess pieces!! :drool::drool:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh great.

One of them is called Öland. Thats local. As in Öland is an island here in Sweden. So. What to do. What to do.

This place is terrible. I came here thinking I want a razor or two and some blades. Vintage, naturally, so info needed.

And now I have ... an ungodly number of razors on their way to my humble abode. Including straights I'm not intending to shave with. And blades, naturally. And a new brush. Just *one* mind you. And the quest for a good soap has begun.

And now this. A need for a vintage aftershave that most certainly will not be available locally.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just won an auction on the bay for the following ($22.99 shipped; I was the only bidder. Seller claims all are full, and unused)!! :w00t::w00t::thumbup::thumbup:

I already have the Pawn from a previous score, so I now have the complete set of chess pieces!! :drool::drool:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's odd- then a named them all according to their chess name except the knight. Of course, the smart move is to keep your knights:001_smile

It's too late for the intervention, isn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, did the seller clear -maybe- $10? I just told my wife today while she was looking at some avon in a estate sale. If your going to buy it, make sure it's in it box and full. When do we get to see the entire set on a board? :thumbup1:

-jim

Shipping was $10. So the selling price was $12.99. So after Ebay fees, he probably cleared around $10.

I figure these are probably worth around $10 a piece, so the seller likely got burned, and I got an amazing deal. :thumbup1:

That IS a nice deal, John. I found a complete set of these at a local antique shop last week for $4 each. They were all empty, so I left them. Besides, I'm still under SWMBO vintage Avon moratorium. :mad3:

That IS a nice deal, John. I found a complete set of these at a local antique shop last week for $4 each. They were all empty, so I left them. Besides, I'm still under SWMBO vintage Avon moratorium. :mad3:

I just found the same thing here. THey were $4.11 each, but empty. Not sure if it was a complete set, but it could have been.

Having scored a nice bonus at work, SWMBO gave me a kitchen pass for some more collecting. Under an outdoor table at a local antique mall, a vendor had 3 full boxes of Avon. Most of these are absolutely NOS! The boxes are in fine condition, some without any re-opening wear on the ends. Many of the bottles had the cardboard gaskets stuck to the necks, and had obviously never been opened. All were procured for $4 each.

Can't wait to try out the "Avon Protein Hair Lotion for Men."
proxy.php

proxy.php

Note: The Shaving Brush (Wild Country) was from a previous acquisiton; I just wanted to set it next to the DE Razor decanter for reasons of composition. :001_smile
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom