What's new

Classic Shaving Soap

Here is the classic example of YMMV :001_unsur
I like the Classic soaps...
But I should qualify that statement
1. I am a Super or Uberlather nut case so I use hardly any soap without a cream.
2. I use a straight razor
3. I only shave around my beard not my whole face
4. My wife loves shaving her legs with the Lavender CSS and KMF lavender super-lather (no nicks and super smooth)
So take it for what it is worth!!! and have fun :biggrin:

Glen

It was the first real shaving soap I bought, in the bay rum scent. I am not as down on it as many around here, but I have never bought another one. I think it is decent, but there are too many very good or great soaps out there to justify messing with it. Try Mama Bear's, St. Charles Shave's, or QED, instead.

Tim

Yup. Thin lather, poor cushioning, not slick. Just my opinion, of course.

Dennis

While the other points are opinions I've heard before, this is the first I've heard of these soaps being anywhere less slick than goose droppings. There's a ton of clay in these soaps.

I personally think they're OK soaps, and I've used the Bay Rum and Lavender. They're not my favorites, but they're OK. I certainly prefer them to any commonly available drugstore soap.

Well I finally got my package and I must disagree, I love them ! And for the price these cant be beat! I got fresh lime and the bay rum one however I have yet to open the second the smell of the lime is simply invigorating.

Good!! Like I said before, I think they're OK. The Jasmine scent has me quite curious. Since I'm locked in to Classicshaving because they're the only providers in the country for Feather AC Pro Super blades, I'll probably give that a go.

I largely disagree with the price thing, though. You'll find these soaps just don't last very long. Price per shave isn't going to be that different between this and the most expensive triple milled soap you can find. The base price does make these soaps much more approachable, though.

exactly what I meant, but the thing is that its near impossible for me to buy such products like this anywhere in my area. Any story that usually carries shaving supplies such as classic shaving is usually situated in one of two areas, the greater Toronto area or Montreal which means either a 17 or 12 hour drive, god bless the internet.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The CS soaps that I tried were good, in the sense that Surrey is good, but nothing special. At roughly five times the price of some entry level soaps, they were no bargains.

Contrast a $6 CS puck vs. a refill of Tabac soap, and you'll see what I mean.

I would disagree but then again that's my 2 cents. Everyone reacts differently to different soaps etc.. and considering I am limited due to my geographic location they work out for me perfectly, to the point where I will be trying most if not all scents.

The CS soaps that I tried were good, in the sense that Surrey is good, but nothing special. At roughly five times the price of some entry level soaps, they were no bargains.

Contrast a $6 CS puck vs. a refill of Tabac soap, and you'll see what I mean.

I would disagree but then again that's my 2 cents. Everyone reacts differently to different soaps etc.. and considering I am limited due to my geographic location they work out for me perfectly, to the point where I will be trying most if not all scents.

I think you missed Ouches point, for the same money you could get a GREAT soap that will last 8-10 times as long- Via the internet.

I am glad to see some discussion regarding these soaps. I am currently using them only because when I ordered my mug from Classic Shaving it came with a puck of their soap. I've since ordered a couple more of their soaps and they seem to work ok, but since I haven't tried out other brands, I really can't make a comparison. Once I run out of the soap that is currently in my mug, I plan giving Mama Bear's soap a try.

I tried a puck of the Sandalwood about a year ago -- I thought it worked quite well, and provided good cushion and slickness. However, this was the first soft soap I tried after years and years of using Williams, so it seemed like a minor miracle at the time. I have used quite a number of soaps since, so don't know how it would stack up. I will probably try it again, next time I place an order from Classic, for the sake of comparison.

I went on Mama Bears website and she has so many scents to choose from, it can make your head spin. As I am partial to lime (especially in a Corona) I settled on that scent to try.

I find the CS soaps to be "decent"... In fact, a CS soap is actually one of the first soaps I ever wet shaved with. I still have a few that I use once in a while, but after trying better soaps (i.e. D.R. Harris) I'd not order them again... ;)

I am new to the whole wet shaving art and started out with William's. I bought two pucks of sandalwoods from Classicshaving and will say that is a pretty good soap. I find it hard to get a good lather and it seems to dissapear on my face if not lathered just right. Usually this means alot of soap and not alot of water, it reacts very quickly to water. I do like the scent though, it isn't over powering and smells good while shaving. I just started using a DE so I won't comment on how slick it is since I haven't used anything else with my razor. Overall I am satisfied with the soap for the price, but I will be trying otehr products in the near future. I really can't wait to try QED and Tabac soaps, they get good reviews and don't seem that expensive. Oh yeah I haven't noticed the soap not lasting long seems to be doing just as well as williams. I didn't care too much for Williams, just me though.

Top Bottom