What's new

D.R. Harris Arlington, the divine

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
D.R. Harris, established in 1790, is one of London’s oldest pharmacies. Today it is still located at the number 29 of St James’s Street, as it was when it first opened, over two centuries ago.The illustrious history of D.R. Harris is such that it really needs no presentation. It is sufficient to read and appreciate what is written on its beautiful web-site: “This family-owned business holds the warrant to HRH The Prince of Wales. We are renowned for our range of quality products for men and women. These include soaps, colognes, bath and shaving preparations, skin care and aromatherapy oils. The majority of our products are still produced by traditional methods, being hand-made and packed in our own premises in London.” And D.R. Harris truly offers a wide range of top-shelf grooming items and top-notch shaving goods.Among these, I want to focus my attention on one of most classic, most loved and most effective shaving soaps the company is proud of: the Arlington. This great English gem is a 100 g solid white triple-milled hard soap with tallow, housed in a wonderful hand-turned wooden bowl, available in both Beech and Mahogany. The package itself is a touch of class: very traditional, very simple, very elegant. It is priced around € 20 with the wooden bowl and about € 10 as a refill puck alone.My impression, after a few shaves, is that this hard piece of soap is going to last a long, long time. And therefore I can say that its cost is absolutely reasonable. Now the scent: divine. I want to repeat it again: divine. In fifteen years of wet shaving I have never found a better smelling soap than Harris Arlington. A unique, light but powerful fragrance of citrus mixed with hints of fern. Spectacular. Simply spectacular. Latherability is excellent, too. I just soften the surface of the soap with a few drops of water and heavily load my brush. Huge mounds of fantastic lather start to appear… And the lather is super thick, cushioning and slick. Moisturizing properties are also very good. I get outstanding shaves with the Arlington. It leaves my face smooth, fresh and clean. No issue, this fabulous English soap is a terrific performer indeed. And a luxurious product of the finest quality. D.R. Harris Arlington, for perfect Gentlemen, for true connoisseurs.

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion

Staff member
So, err... You think it's good then? :lol:

Yeah, Arlington is my No1 favorite hard soap. The stuff is top shelf. :thumbup1:

Great thread Marco. The Arlington is my favourite in the Harris range, and never fails me. Like you say, the scent is absolutely divine. It will last a long time. I got mine back in June of last year and it barely looks touched. How is the cologne? I don't have that, but sitting there, it makes me want it too!!:thumbup1:

David

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Great thread Marco. The Arlington is my favourite in the Harris range, and never fails me. Like you say, the scent is absolutely divine. It will last a long time. I got mine back in June of last year and it barely looks touched. How is the cologne? I don't have that, but sitting there, it makes me want it too!!:thumbup1:

David

David, you great English Gentlemen have an AMAZING soap to really be proud of! The cologne is, as the soap, simply divine. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Only a half of this soap remain on my possession , This soap is so hard I used for a year to shave my head and face and refuses to die . I got bored , this soap is perfect in all aspect . I storage the half remain soap for future use .:001_smile

Great review Marco, as usual.:biggrin1: You are really a trend setter in shaving. Off the topic, I am always wondering is there any tallow in the ingredients list?

Marco you always do an incredible job of reviewing products !! I love DR Harris Arlington. It is in my opinion one of the best around. Everyone owes it to themselves to try a puck of this awesome soap.

The hard soap is amazing, both in performance and scent. I really wasn't a fan of the cream]s scent (it's a bit harsh), but the soap's scent is perfect.

As usual, great review Marco. But now you are recommending English soaps in addition to Italian soaps! I am running out of room to stock all of these goodies. :w00t:

Indeed this is a fantastic soap!! I got a puck and the aftershave for Xmas and they are both quality performers. The scent is one of a kind amazing!!!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This is unquestionably one of the best smelling soaps on the market. A refill is larger and cheaper than the very good Trumpers, and has tallow, making it a terrific bargain among high end soaps. The citrus/fern scent is refreshing and invigorating, and the lather is very good, if not AoS level. Their cream is also one of the best.

Hard to go wrong with Harris.

This is unquestionably one of the best smelling soaps on the market. A refill is larger and cheaper than the very good Trumpers, and has tallow, making it a terrific bargain among high end soaps. The citrus/fern scent is refreshing and invigorating, and the lather is very good, if not AoS level. Their cream is also one of the best.

Hard to go wrong with Harris.

I love the entire line! The Rose is pretty awesome too:thumbup1:

I love the entire line! The Rose is pretty awesome too:thumbup1:

Is the Rose soap a new one I've not heard about? Only thought there were 5 Harris soaps.:confused1

David

Edit: Sorry. I guess you were referring to the Trumper's Rose? I agree. That's fantastic too!

Last edited:
Arlington is by far my favorite in the soap line (though I've yet to try the almond but there is enough italian products to cover that scent).

As I try to whittle my den down I know that Arlington will always be one that gets replaced once used. Great stuff! :thumbup1:

Arlington is one of my favorites.

Marco, I enjoy your enthusiastic reviews, inspired me to use my Arlington soap and AS today. You could give a regal description of a cow chip.:biggrin1:

Top Bottom