What's new

Gillette Brasileira?

New find at the trading post this weekend; $5 special.
I just brought it home and am trying to ID it;

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The thing that is getting me is the knurling gets smaller as you get to the top, this looks like the Aristocrat, There is no Letter mark legible (yet! Hasn't been cleaned!) but the number is a small 3 on the top right, It also reads; top left; MARKA REGISI? and Lower right; IND BRASILEIRA with the Gillette symbol lower left.

either;
1956 Aristocrat?
proxy.php

or
1973 mono Tech T3?;
proxy.php

case;
proxy.php

I feel the RAD, and it is good..:thumbup:

nice find. Is the case US-made?

Case is Canadian made, I don't think it is the original case, I found them in an area of the Okanagan that has a high fruit picker workforce during the year, people come from all over to work the orchards in the summer.

Case is Canadian made, I don't think it is the original case, I found them in an area of the Okanagan that has a high fruit picker workforce during the year, people come from all over to work the orchards in the summer.

Huh. Where at specifically, if you don't mind my asking?

I was looking through antique stores in Summerland, Penticton, and OK Falls a while ago and didn't notice any shaving stuff, but it was a little before I got into DE shaving.

I love the knurling on the tto knob. There was on of those on eBay awhile back without the case and I was so tempted to bid.

I was looking through antique stores in Summerland, Penticton, and OK Falls a while ago and didn't notice any shaving stuff, but it was a little before I got into DE shaving.

So close, just a few minutes south,

If you find yourself in Oliver on a sturday morning looking for adventure try the Kiwanis market;
http://www.oliverkiwanis.org/

But bring your elboys and be there right at 9:00, the market is only open saturday morning and it gets busy. I had seen this one tucked away on my last visit but wasn't sure what it was. I decided if it was there the next time I wouldn't leave without it.

If you find yourself in Oliver on a sturday morning looking for adventure try the Kiwanis market;
http://www.oliverkiwanis.org/

But bring your elboys and be there right at 9:00, the market is only open saturday morning and it gets busy. I had seen this one tucked away on my last visit but wasn't sure what it was. I decided if it was there the next time I wouldn't leave without it.
I went there last Saturday about 8:50 a.m. and the market was already open. It wasn't as busy as you describe it, but there were few shoppers browsing. They had NO safety razors, although the woman there said they "get them occasionally".

The next door however is the Oliver Indoors Flea Market, which seems to be the biggest one in the valley. They had some really cool stuff. I walked out with a 1932 Canadian Gillette Tech Fat Handle.

Gidday all,
I've just picked up what looks like a Brazillian made tech..
This is my first DE, btw yet to give it a test run;)
wondering how I'd ID it further
it's in very, very good nick, only the dorsal surface of the top-cap is slightly dulled..

The knurling is a three-stroke tartan style

The base plate has what looks like a code
"U" in the top left and "2" in the top right

The wiki has a list of date codes but as far as I can work out they're for US- manufactured razors
razor2.jpg

I also got over a dozen of these blades
IMG_20190213_151353.jpg
I have no idea how old they are or if they'd be ok to shave with (ordered some samplers off ebay yesterday)

plus two Gillette platinum plus plastic boxes (with space in the back to bank them, but the blades in those don't appear to have fared so well..
I took a blade out of one and it was slightly spotted
Ditch them or can I wipe them down (as an exercise or is that getting a little crazy?)
IMG_20190213_152227.jpg

Looks like a Tech from 1974. Very cool
Thanks..
I'll take it that the US U code applies to razors made by gillette elsewhere
I'm guessing it is an aluminium razor..
The handle end isn't a bell but a barrel
My concern with identifying the type was to confirm the construction material and the finish so that I maintain it properly

R

romsitsa

Hello,

head is cast metal plated in nickel, handle is uncoated aluminum. I’d ditch the blades in the lower platinum sampler, the top one and the wrapped one looks to be useable.

Adam

Yep that was what I was guessing.

It's well and good to ID razors but determining the concomitant construction material seems to be elsewhere.. might see what I can do about that, make a contribution here, if I can.

Cheers Adam, appreciated!
Hello,

head is cast metal plated in nickel, handle is uncoated aluminum. I’d ditch the blades in the lower platinum sampler, the top one and the wrapped one looks to be useable.

Adam

Top Bottom