What's new

The Feminization of Alcohol: A Diatribe

Well, I drink my amber spirits neat (or rum with a cube of ice in summer) because that is when they are at their best for me. I drink a dry Gibson Martini (cocktail onion as garnish) and won't touch wine unless it's red.

So manly drink choices, yes... but I also have long hair and am an artist by trade. So no man points there. I carry a leather satchel with me, points deducted there... Oh! But I keep my cigar accessories in there, and a rather effective CRKT pocket knife. So more masculine points there...

Do you see the pointlessness of your post?

I have to disagree with most of you here. I think the times have never been better to be serious about good alcoholic beverages. The number, variety, and quality of beers available even at the supermarket today is incredible. Every city has multiple microbrewers, nearly every bar has something other than bud/miller/coors on tap, and no longer must Americans look to european imported beers to get something with flavor. On the liquor side there is more interest than ever in premium quality spirits. I guarantee that most liquor stores and even grocery stores (at least those in states that allow grocery stores to sell booze) carry a larger selection and higher quality products than they did 20 or 30 years ago. I can get premium whisk(e)y, rum, gin, etc nearly anywhere I go these days.

Sure, along with the above has come an increasing popularity in ridiculous "-tinis," fruity beers, and of course the oxymoronic "flavored vodkas." But that is a small price to pay in my opinion for the incredible variety and availability of good booze we see.

Add to that the way the internet has changed the way we drink: the speakeasy is just one of hundreds of sites where people discuss fine liquor every single day in a way that has never been possible before. To match the amount of information, tasting opinions, and experience available with a few clicks at a site like beeradvocate or straightbourbon 20 years ago you would have needed an entire library of books and magazines and access to a major tasting society. Today I can get it on my phone standing in the store.

I have a couple of friends in their late 20s who don't like beer. They say they don't like the taste. They drink mixed drinks like rum and coke or vodka drinks.

And I couldn't care less about what they choose to drink, as long as they show up to the party/event/gathering.

I do see the appeal in strong drinks that taste alcohol free especially for people my age who tend to drink just to get drunk. It still tends to amaze people (and sometimes even bar tenders in the collegey bars) when I get a whiskey on the rocks. I can't afford really good single barrel or anything, but I usually go with Jack, partially because I live an hour from the distillery. I guess my point is that I understand why people drink their fru-fru drinks. However, I'm glad that the drinks most of us tend to enjoy are considered simple and so can be had the same way nearly everywhere. I like the consistency. I've never had someone pour me a bad Jack on the rocks.

Was this in some sort of alternate universe where James Bond operated in the American Old West? I can't imagine limiting myself in such a manner for no legitimate reason.

that's a pretty good description of devoto's character - he was actually an american historian

I have a couple of friends in their late 20s who don't like beer. They say they don't like the taste. They drink mixed drinks like rum and coke or vodka drinks.

And I couldn't care less about what they choose to drink, as long as they show up to the party/event/gathering.

My parents don't like beer, and their complaints are indeed about the taste. My father has on multiple occasions been known to order a cosmo.

I don't think that this is really an issue that belongs to the youth, I think that, as some one else pointed out, there have always been men who would have proffered sweeter, weaker drinks, but who felt that they HAD to drink something harder, for the sake of appearances. Personally, as long as they keep bottling straight liquor, I don't care what other people drink. I have no problem having a colorful alcoholic slurpee like a Jamaican Freeze, and then switching over to a neat glass of whisky.

I just wish that when I order an Irish Coffee the glass wasn't half filled with whipped cream. I do not take cream in my regular coffee, why would I want even more cream when I'm already cutting it with alcohol?

And what is considered manly nowadays are drinks like the Yager Bomber; Yagermeister and Red Bull. However, that abomination has less to do with masculine/feminine than with a total absence of good taste.

I just finished reading through every post in this thread (work is slow right now), and this is, somehow, interesting to me. I'm a pretty young guy (27), and I, along with my immediate group of peers, never have drank with the intent of getting drunk. Most of my close friends and I are Christians, and drunkenness is certainly frowned upon. As a matter of fact, drinking at all is frowned upon by many groups of Christians, but the Bible doesn't say to never consume alcohol.

Anyway, all of that is another conversation. I wanted to point out that the guys I am usually with while enjoying a spirit of some sort all tend to lean toward 'masculine' drinks. Granted, I seem to be the only one who chooses a neat whiskey over any other drink, and we are all rather uneducated when it comes to anything alcohol, really.

My point is this. Perhaps the "feminization" of drinks takes place more in advertising and in trendy bars/clubs than it does in actual consumption. Growing up in the South, I know plenty of KY/TN residents that are very proud of their bourbons, and I'm quite confidant that I could find some true rot-gut poured from a re-purposed car radiator in the north Georgia mountains. I also agree with whomever it was who suggested that there is plenty variety of good microbreweries around. Living in MT now has proven that to me. The Rockies are full of great beer.

I am okay with my masculine drinks not being advertised to the extent of all the -tinis and wuss beers. As long as I can still get my hands on Makers, Jack, Knob Creek, and a good scotch once in a while, I feel that the masculinity of beverages is safe. I can't really compare anything to 'the good ole days' (I wasn't there), and I can't speak for power drinkers (I'm not one). But my generation still has a taste for un-diluted, 'masculine' drinks. That just isn't reflected in the media, and that's fine by me.

when i make a greygoose "martini" (for those opposed to the term) for myself i usually use 3 shots of vodka, 2 shots of dry vermouth, 2 shots of "olive juice", and 3 olives. except the "olive juice" is really just the liquid from the jar of olives that soak in vermouth. so really, it's a 7 shot martini. does that make me girly? :eek:

i'm a little out of touch now that i graduated college, but it was nothing to drink a 6-pack as a pregame to going out, where 9 drinks an hour was also not uncommon. :tongue:

Cocktails should be clear or brown.

All of this blue, purple and green cocktail nonsense is just glorified koolaid

This isn't feminization. Nothing has really changed at all. My grandpa was blue collar as hell and worked with his hands. His drink? Cutty Sark His beer? High Life I'll opt for Blue Moon (which I hate) over High Life or Cutty and water any old time.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the popped-collar hipsters any more than you, but they aren't using alcohol the same way we do. They don't want to get relaxed and savor the delicacy. They want to get a buzz and try to get that trashily dressed young thing back to their place and out of her kit. I don't really blame them. I was the same when I was younger and you likely were too.

Say what you will but this concept of the past and "manly" but if Ernest Hemingway thought it'd get the girl out of her dress I'll bet he'd split the bottle of Boone's Farm strawberry with her. Really, what's more manly than that? :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the popped-collar hipsters any more than you, but they aren't using alcohol the same way we do. They don't want to get relaxed and savor the delicacy. They want to get a buzz and try to get that trashily dressed young thing back to their place and out of her kit.

+1

even when we used to go out, it wasn't to the clubs. hit the bars with the guys for some drinks, smoke a stogie, then go to bed. perfect evening.

I eschew the fruit slice, because it is dumb, not for any head-killing reason. :biggrin:

Agreed. A waitress tried to convince me (while I was in a semi-inebriated state) that the fruit "enhances" the flavor. Right, just like the booze was "enhancing" her looks and personality :001_tongu:a17:

This thread has really thrown me..................... a drink is a drink and you are entitled to drink whatever turns you on. Is a male drinker any less of a man if he sits in a bar slurping a Cosmopolitan? To prescribe drinks to people based on some mythical stereotype makes for an interesting conversation if discussed light heartedly, but heck, don't let it annoy you or influence your judgement of those around you.

I like real ale, I like single malts, I like daquiris, and I love a dry gin martini (not all in the same glass unless it's a really special night out). I even enjoy the odd Bud.................

Anyway, Cheers:001_tongu

Top Bottom