What's new

What did you learn from your safety razor shave today?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I learned, (or was reminded), never to take for granted a double edge razor blade as they will strike you faster than a West Texas Rattlesnake. Cleaning my razor and removing the blade wayyyy to quickly and arrogantly with my thumb and forefinger resulted in a nasty cut to my thumb. Take your time fellows.😊👍💈
I was packing up my razors when we were leaving Slovenia and got the same reminder..... cut my thumb straight along the nail for about half an inch. That woke me up and caused me to pay attention to what I was doing..... This was on Monday evening.... It's still wrapped in tape and a bit tender.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I learned, (or was reminded), never to take for granted a double edge razor blade as they will strike you faster than a West Texas Rattlesnake. Cleaning my razor and removing the blade wayyyy to quickly and arrogantly with my thumb and forefinger resulted in a nasty cut to my thumb. Take your time fellows.😊👍💈
Heal up quickly, my friend.

I was packing up my razors when we were leaving Slovenia and got the same reminder..... cut my thumb straight along the nail for about half an inch. That woke me up and caused me to pay attention to what I was doing..... This was on Monday evening.... It's still wrapped in tape and a bit tender.
Hope you continue heal quickly my friend!😊👍💈

Dang, that one sounds painful. Hopefully the nuisance of it will disappear soon. That goes for @Butch Waxx as well.

Lambda Ares, prior ordering I thought would be the modern open comb I was looking for and it is! It did not disappoint, very impressive shaver, I really liked it.
I agree wholeheartedly purecro!😊👍💈
A2F9D5F0-59BF-401D-8452-D8BEAA317EB4.jpeg

I learned that of all the fine shavers I have my Ti95 is my favourite one. A stellar shave this morning to boot. Always enjoy returning to the Ti95 while there are other fish in the sea to swim with as well. Exactly why this developed into a hobby besides the daily ritual of looking smooth and groomed.

I learned that of all the fine shavers I have my Ti95 is my favourite one. A stellar shave this morning to boot. Always enjoy returning to the Ti95 while there are other fish in the sea to swim with as well. Exactly why this developed into a hobby besides the daily ritual of looking smooth and groomed.
Well said Guido…..A daily ritual should indeed be enjoyable!😊👍💈

Today I was reminded that shaving with the same setup for several days running can be very instructive.

For example, recently I've learned to take precisely what the Game Changer .84 delivers in two WTG passes and not an ounce more. Chasing brings trouble. :nono:

Today I was reminded that shaving with the same setup for several days running can be very instructive.

For example, recently I've learned to take precisely what the Game Changer .84 delivers in two WTG passes and not an ounce more. Chasing brings trouble. :nono:
I concur @know1special…….”Chasing brings trouble” should be included in one of shavings golden rules.

We have so many great options at various price points. My favorite kit is made up of a Ti Blackbird, MdC soap and one of my 2 band badger brushes (Paladin or either of my Rudy Vey brushes with a Shavemac 2 band silvertip knot) and lathered in my custom Mugseco or Captain’s Choice copper lather bowls. Today while away from home I used a much more budget friendly kit and was awarded with a superb shave.

Razor: Gillette New SC
Blade: Personna Red, 1st use
Brush: AP Shave Co Blue Lagoon Synbad
Soap: Haslinger Sandalwood Puck
Aftershave: Fine American Blend Aftershave

1685889643960.png

Everything used today could be considered a “value” product. The AP Shave Co Blue Lagoon w 22mm Synbad was purchased for less than $25 and the Haslinger soap was only about $8. The Haslinger face lathered with the AP brush worked quite well. The Gillette New SC was purchased on the popular auction site for under $20 and in addition to shaving well boasts a rich patina from the red brass top cap and a fairly shiny base plate from the yellow brass base plate. The common bar handle works fine for me as well.

I don‘t want to part with my favorites but really enjoy the more economical products that I used today.

I learned that I get better shaves with a shorter handle paired with my Feather AS-D2 razor head. I really like the look and grip of the Feather AS-D2 handle but I find I currently get closer shaves with the Razorock Haloed UFO and Barber Pole handles paired with the AS-D2 head and a Feather DE blade. I had previously tried the Haloed UFO with the AS-D2 head and it was not a good shave (but that was with a different soap). Maybe my technique with this razor is improving over time (even though I go several months between shaves with that razor).

Today I learned--or rather, relearned--that old saying "perfect is the enemy of good." I've been DE shaving for eight years, now, and I have honed my technique to the point where I get a satisfactory shave probably 95% of the time. Well, a couple of days ago, I had one of those mornings where I let my attention wander a bit and, at the end of my shave, I noticed a tiny bit of stubble in one small patch on the underside of my chin. Like an idiot, I let this bother me, and I became obsessed with not letting this happen again. I normally don't do an against-the-grain pass, but I started doing an abbreviated ATG pass on that area right under my chin and up around the front of my chin. This morning I carried this to an excessive degree and--of course--ended up nicking myself right on the point of my chin. The extra five minutes it took to stop the bleeding convinced me that an occasional imperfect shave in an area that's not even noticeable is preferable to the time, effort, and risk involved in chasing perfection in this particular spot.

Top Bottom