What's new

I would love some Synthetic brush recommendations, something that splays easier and has softer tips than a Tuxedo knot

Muhle STF for the win. Closest to a silvertip I’ve come across.

+1 the STF is the easy button choice. It splays more than the super stiff Tuxedo and has much softer tips.

But the Razorock Bruce and Big Bruce are fantastic splayers and are very inexpensive. They have less backbone than the STF and splay 2-3x their size willingly.

Two days ago I used an RV 25mm STF as a preshave brush and a 28mm Zenith Badger as a shaving soap brush. Seriously, you could be forgiven for not being able to tell the difference if blindfolded. The tips are the giveaway, the STF's are unnaturally soft compared to the badger, but the backbone, splay and relative feel were very similar.

The STF splays but not A LOT. The RR brushes splay significantly more but have far less backbone. I ended up giving the RR brushes away and keeping the STF but like @Phoenixkh I prefer a firmer brush generally.

M

member 141132

+1 the STF is the easy button choice. It splays more than the super stiff Tuxedo and has much softer tips.

But the Razorock Bruce and Big Bruce are fantastic splayers and are very inexpensive. They have less backbone than the STF and splay 2-3x their size willingly.

Two days ago I used an RV 25mm STF as a preshave brush and a 28mm Zenith Badger as a shaving soap brush. Seriously, you could be forgiven for not being able to tell the difference if blindfolded. The tips are the giveaway, the STF's are unnaturally soft compared to the badger, but the backbone, splay and relative feel were very similar.

The STF splays but not A LOT. The RR brushes splay significantly more but have far less backbone. I ended up giving the RR brushes away and keeping the STF but like @Phoenixkh I prefer a firmer brush generally.
I am absolutely fine with some firmness and backbone in a synth, but with the tuxedo I felt like I had to mash it into my face. The STF sounds a lot more effortless. All the good reviews of the STF speak for themselves and the majority of the people recommending it in this thread as well. I think it'll be a great purchase, i'll be going with the medium 21mm size

Sorry for the off topic, but could you refer to the shady business practices of PAA? Maybe a link or something? I’ve tried one of their soaps (seems great), so I’d like to know whether I should keep supporting them. Thanks
Look in the dictionary under "Internet Drama". I prefer to focus on the products, since many of them are good. Some people can just never forgive and forget.

I am absolutely fine with some firmness and backbone in a synth, but with the tuxedo I felt like I had to mash it into my face. The STF sounds a lot more effortless. All the good reviews of the STF speak for themselves and the majority of the people recommending it in this thread as well. I think it'll be a great purchase, i'll be going with the medium 21mm size
that might be too small, especially since it might even be smaller than the spec. 25mm is the way to go (and it will be really 25mm).

M

member 141132

that might be too small, especially since it might even be smaller than the spec. 25mm is the way to go (and it will be really 25mm).
You're right but I might just opt for the 23mm instead. It's 54 euro with free shipping which is absolutely fine, the XL 25mm is 70 euro which is a big difference. You reckon the 23mm will be fine?

You're right but I might just opt for the 23mm instead. It's 54 euro with free shipping which is absolutely fine, the XL 25mm is 70 euro which is a big difference. You reckon the 23mm will be fine?
I don't have either. I read these in another thread. Judging by the looks i'm not a fan of the muhle classic handle. I like bigger handles.

Thank you guys for all the recommendations! I'll look into the Muhle STF and the Plissoft right now but the Wald A1, Motherlode and APShaveCo sound great too, heard lots of good things on threads here. I was also in contact with PAA and from speaking to one of the people over there i'll also be picking up one of their brushes, this'll turn into a brush acqusiation disorder real quick but oh well 😂
I don't think you would go wrong with any of them. I just finished shaving using my Rudy Vey STF. It's an awesome brush!!
IMG_3285.jpg

M

member 141132

I don't think you would go wrong with any of them. I just finished shaving using my Rudy Vey STF. It's an awesome brush!!
View attachment 1653921
That is one good looking brush, hard to tell it's even synthetic at first glance. Thank you for the pic and whichever size I end up with I am sure i'll love it! Hell, I might end up buying a different size if I end up enjoying it as much as I think I will

Would you say the Muhle STF works well with hard soaps like Mitchell's Wool Fat?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Since you are in the UK, take a look at the Executive Shaving Company website. I bought a lot of products from them and didn’t even mind the shipping costs to the States. The shipping would be free for you if you buy a certain amount.

That is one good looking brush, hard to tell it's even synthetic at first glance. Thank you for the pic and whichever size I end up with I am sure i'll love it! Hell, I might end up buying a different size if I end up enjoying it as much as I think I will

Would you say the Muhle STF works well with hard soaps like Mitchell's Wool Fat?
Thank you!
The only hard soap I have is Tabac and this brush works very well with it. Here is a photo of my Mother's Day shave!

IMG_3297.jpg

M

member 141132

Thank you!
The only hard soap I have is Tabac and this brush works very well with it. Here is a photo of my Mother's Day shave!

View attachment 1654859
Perfect then! Last question..would you say the brush is prickly at all or gives a scrub? I am fine with a little scrub but nothing major since I am prone to brush burn

Perfect then! Last question..would you say the brush is prickly at all or gives a scrub? I am fine with a little scrub but nothing major since I am prone to brush burn
The brush isn't prickly at all! The tips are really soft and so for me it gives a gentle scrub.
I reached out to @Rudy Vey and I'm happy to say that I went with all his recommendations. The handle itself is made from a piece of Irish Oak that has been fossilized and is anywhere from 3000-6000 years old! It's beautiful to look at even nicer to use and hold!

I agree. I first ordered a Muhle STF 23 mm, and it seemed surprisingly small so I returned it and got the 25 mm. The 25 definitely feels like a 25 and splays well, feels good, and works up a nice lather from hard soaps for face lathering.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Are RazoRock brushes readily available in Europe? They make a Plissoft synthetic that's offered on a number of handle configurations that's worth having. Not as stiff as a Tuxedo knot.

I really like doing business with AP Shave Co., but they're a US based vendor. They offer a number of synthetic knots in a variety of handles that have a price range to fit just about any wallet.

Top Bottom